Thomson Legal PPI Claim

Options
Had a call last week from Thomson legal (Verus Associates) there call was regards to PPI claim and stupidly convinced me i have a large claim as they go as far back until you where 18 years old not like usual PPI companies. They informed me they would need to hold £499 on my credit card for charges but would refund in full once claim had gone through, I was extremely unsure about this although they tried to convince me by explaining the reasons they use credit card as is its safe and you can claim back. 😒 They also took me into the gov.uk site to reassure me they where a ligament company. After reading reviews on their Face book site I'm worried it maybe a scam. I have since called my bank to stop money but was too late they have already taken it out, therefore I have a dispute form to fill out. Has anyone had PPI from this company or have I been SCAMED :angry:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and stupidly convinced me i have a large claim as they go as far back until you where 18 years old not like usual PPI companies.

What a complete load of rubbish that is.
    They informed me they would need to hold £499 on my credit card for charges but would refund in full once claim had gone through, I was extremely unsure about this although they tried to convince me by explaining the reasons they use credit card as is its safe and you can claim back. ��

The consumer credit act requirements are not there for CMCs to abuse like this. You also run the risk of not getting your money back as if they carry out the service and your complaint fails, then the credit card company does not have to refund.
    After reading reviews on their Face book site I'm worried it maybe a scam.

It would not be appropriate to comment specifically on your case as nobody here was present during the phone call and cannot be sure what was said.

However, generically, you should not use any cold calling company that wants an up front fee. There have been a number of cases where claims companies have done this, often using spurious reasons, and have gone on to fail and taking the £499 with them.

It is also a method used on scams which is called advance fee fraud. The scammer sells you a story about you getting some big pay off and whilst your greed is fixated on that, you pay the smaller up front fee thinking that you are going to get more back.
    I have since called my bank to stop money but was too late they have already taken it out, therefore I have a dispute form to fill out.

You agreed to it so there is nothing to dispute.

You have a cancellation rights period which you are still in. Write to them using signed for post (whilst proof of postage is not necessary, it is still useful in building your credibility if it goes the distance). Tell them you want to cancel and have your money returned and if they fail to do so you will register a complaint and use the Legal Ombudsman.

If after a few weeks you hear nothing, then you register the complaint and follow that process.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    It is a criminal offence under the Fraud Act 2006 to make a false representation in an attempt to make a gain for oneself or another person.

A false representation is one that is dishonestly made in the knowledge that it is, or may be, untrue or misleading.

If this applies to you, then you should complain to the claims company in the first instance. In the case of Verus Associates, this can be in the form of an e-mail to support@verusassociates.co.uk

They then have eight weeks to make a reply. If they do not, or you are not satisfied with it, you can ask the Legal Ombudsman to investigate. This will be free of charge.
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Had a call last week from Thomson legal (Verus Associates) there call was regards to PPI claim and stupidly convinced me i have a large claim as they go as far back until you where 18 years old not like usual PPI companies. They informed me they would need to hold £499 on my credit card for charges but would refund in full once claim had gone through, I was extremely unsure about this although they tried to convince me by explaining the reasons they use credit card as is its safe and you can claim back. 😒 They also took me into the gov.uk site to reassure me they where a ligament company. After reading reviews on their Face book site I'm worried it maybe a scam. I have since called my bank to stop money but was too late they have already taken it out, therefore I have a dispute form to fill out. Has anyone had PPI from this company or have I been SCAMED :angry:

[FONT=&quot]Hello Allison Porterfield,

The Legal Ombudsman is the ombudsman scheme with the responsibility for deciding service complaints about claims management companies. Having read your post, we feel we may be able to help.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have changed your mind about using the claims management company, you have 14 days from signing the agreement to cancel the agreement and receive a refund of any payments made. You are also able to cancel after the 14 days has passed, however in this situation you may have to pay for any work undertaken by the company. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We would advise that if you no longer want to use the services of this CMC then you should write to them requesting cancellation of your contract, you can do this by sending a letter by post, fax or email. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The comments you have made in relation to what the company told you about how to pay your fee is concerning, and we would recommend you let their regulator know about this. You can contact the Claims Management Regulator on 0333 200 1320.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We hope you’ve found this information useful. We would be happy to discuss your situation with you directly, and you can contact our team on 0300 555 0333. We will be able to carry out some checks on the company’s you’ve mentioned in your post. We can then give you some advice and support around cancelling the services of a claims management company, making a complaint and how we can help if your complaint remains unresolved. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You can find more information on our service on our website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk/cmc[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Gadfasgirl
    Options
    Has anyone heard of or got an address for a company called LEE INVESTMENTS. I had hp with them back in 2003 on a Sunbed and they sold me ppi on it.... I've Googled and come up with a company in America and that's it?

Thanks
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]The comments you have made in relation to what the company told you about how to pay your fee is concerning, and we would recommend you let their regulator know about this. You can contact the Claims Management Regulator on 0333 200 1320.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Or you can e-mail consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk
  • Nicola71
    Options
    This company did the same to me told me it would not cost me any thing to start with. I am currently waiting for a refund
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Verus Associates is a trading style of Debt Ace Limited. Its entry on the Claims Management Register says,

"Debt Ace Limited is being investigated by the Claims Management Regulator under regulation 35 of The Compensation (Claims Management Services) Regulations 2006."

Its own website says it is "closed for maintenance". This seems to be a common euphemism for "our regulator has finally realised that we are defrauding consumers and closed us down".
  • Samson76
    Options
    The exact same happened to me I couldn't believe I had been so stupid to give my credit card details but I got talked into it then after the weekend I rang my bank up as I was still worrying about it and they said if they didn't do there job then I would be covered so that put my mind at rest for a couple of weeks but I started to worry again after reading bad reveiws so I rang up to cancel only to get told I would have to pay for the work they had started so not wanting to loose my 499 pound I left it after 6 months or more they rang to say I had a claim for 1600 so I thought well I will have to just pay the 499 for being so stupid only to get told that was what versus had took and Thomson now had to be paid 500 so out of my money I had 600 left which I thought was absoulutley ridiculous seen as it was my money but that's what I deserved I suppose for getting talked into it and not understanding right I went to see citezens advise and rang legal ombudsmen but there was nothing they could do so if anybody else reads this stay well clear of this company it's a right rip off and if you think you are owed any ppi just put in for it yourself then if you get any money back you will be able to keep the lot of your own money I would have rather have never knew about the money rather than let this ripoff company's take 1000 Pound of me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I ran of breath about 200 words into that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Samson76 wrote: »
    if anybody else reads this stay well clear of this company it's a right rip off and if you think you are owed any ppi just put in for it yourself
    Thanks for posting.. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport