Courgette resets her sights

After a rather extended mfw hiatus, I think it's about time I re-sorted myself out and get back on track!

DS3 goes to school in September and I've had a lovely few years being a SAHM with a bit of self-employed work chucked in. Our household income is very low though and I need to really start addressing at least my part of this. We've also just had a pretty massive extension done, and although I am beyond delighted with it, it has gone over budget. We now find ourselves in the excellent position of having run out of money before the new kitchen has run out of bills :eek::rotfl:

So the initial focus of this diary will be to earn and save the money we need to complete the kitchen. It's currently knocked through, plastered and the electric points have been put in but not wired up/made live.

We've got about £600 left of the building budget which will go on the underfloor heating then we need to crack on and earn more money so we can buy the flooring and pay the electricians.

Time to crack on!
A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%

Comments

• Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have an eBay clothing business that we run together. Neither of us are particularly excited by selling clothes but it's been a great way of earning money flexibly around the kids. My first focus will be to relook at all our listings making sure that they are performing as well as they could. I've already identified a couple of tops that other sellers also stock that are selling much better for them than us. I'll redo some photos and spruce up the listings. I've also got a load of cardigans that we had delivered this week that I need to list. I'll do this on Monday when DS3 is at nursery but I'll redo the photos this weekend providing the light is okay
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Welcome back courgette, great to see you here again and I hope you get the extra income you need to finish the kitchen soon, I'm sure you will :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Welcome back and Good Luck!
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello Courgette, I loved your previous diaries:). Good luck with your goals, I'm looking forward to your adventures xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Courgette
    Thanks all!

Money in today:
    £35 online tutoring
    £113 back from builders' merchants for unused stuff

Money out:
    £34 on a wheelbarrow, as you do
    £2.40 on samosas, as you also do!
  • Loved your previous diaries, Courgette. How about a wee summary of what went before for new starters on your diary?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,126 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    maysmummy wrote: »
    Loved your previous diaries, Courgette. How about a wee summary of what went before for new starters on your diary?

Great idea :)
    Pretty please :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome back Courgette! :) :hello:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Courgette
    Thanks everyone! I'll do my life history soon! :D

This week:
    -Sold a baby sling for £60
    -Bought some outdoor lights for £60
    -Did my tax return (2whole days before the deadline, no flies on me!)
    -Had an interview for a new student, not sure if I'll get the job but if I do it will bring in £800 between now and the middle of March
    -Put a lot of time into eBay and am starting to see some improvement in sales (still loads to do here though. The shop has been really neglected while I've been managing the building work)

This weekend should see the electrics finished and the functional floor complete too. Next steps for us are to buy and fit the underfloor heating and the cosmetic lovely floor we see. Cost of materials will be in the region of £1200 because it's quite a big area (gonna do the hall too so it looks all fancy). Money in PayPal to cover all that but finding the time will be trickier because we're both doing quite a bit of work outside home.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Nice to see you Courgette, I am back after a long hiatus too with the plan of getting rid of my remaining mortgage in the next two years.,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure