Working towards being debt free and a new house.

Options

Comments

• dipdap
    dipdap Posts: 6,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2014 at 11:50AM
    Options
    We had a lovely day today :j
    Spending for today, I'm loving seeing it written down, it don't half make me think about what I'm spending when I know I have to write it down :)

£7.05 on bus fare :eek: I sometimes forget how expensive buses can be :o
    £2.73 on food (bread, milk and some squash)
    £1.90 on chips (lazy dinner tonight, fish out of the freezer and chips from the chippy :D)

Total spend for the day = £11.68 :j

Have had a pretty good day, did lots of window shopping and didn't see anything I liked in the shops I had gift cards for so didn't use them :)
    I was very pleased with myself as Disney shop had lots of frozen stuff on display, but I was a good girl and didn't buy any :D
    I've written a meal plan for next week (just need to work on desserts).

Monday - pizzas
    Tuesday - burgers
    Wednesday - curry
    Thursday -pizza
    Friday - gammon and chips
    Saturday -pizza
    Sunday - Sunday dinner from the choice of freezer meat and usually trimmings

I know pizza pops up 3 times, I have an influx of them in the freezer due to buying them really cheap so it seems daft not to use them :)
    Have put in an online shopping order which seems to be easier than wandering the supermarket with a trolley, am gonna see how that goes as I never usually do a shop for the week :)
    Tomorrow I plan to do my SOA :j
    Historic Debt August 2009 = £63,600 10th March 2017 = £0 100% paid all gone!
    Mortgage started June 2015 = £170,000 January 2022 = £134,000
    Saving for Xmas 2022= . . Amazon £55
    If you focus on what you have left behind, you won't see what lies ahead - Gusteau
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello you:)
    Well done like we were saying the other day you have done fantastically well and i KNOW you will do this:T:T:T:T
    I will keep an eye here to make sure you keep it updated ;)
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • dipdap
    edited 4 October 2014 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Hey Bubbs :) I did wonder if you'd come over for a read :) I know you'll nag me if I don't keep this updated :D

Paid just over £300 off a credit card today (it don't half feel good to do that :D )
    Was waiting for the bill to turn up as half the card has a 0% bt on it and half doesn't so hopefully have cleared off all the bit that doesn't now :j
    Going to work out for dinner for tomorrow, think we'll go for the usual freezer Sunday :D I have a feeling we have a chicken joint in the freezer that will go down well :)

Very proud of myself today, I didn't buy that nice soft rug I saw for my lounge :D
    If you focus on what you have left behind, you won't see what lies ahead - Gusteau
  • dipdap
    edited 4 October 2014 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... varies between 3 and 5, depending on how many I have to feed!
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 800
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2000 (base salary is about £1600, DH has overtime currently guarenteed till Xmas)
    Benefits................................ 518
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3318

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 520
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 81
    Electricity............................. 70 varies based on meter reading
    Gas..................................... 30 as above
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 42
    Telephone (land line)................... 15 part of package
    Mobile phone............................ 23
    TV Licence.............................. 13
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 60 part of package
    Internet Services....................... 25 part of package
    Groceries etc. ......................... 400 not exactly sure how much we spend a month here, needs better calculation
    Clothing................................ 100 again not sure exactly how much this should be
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 10
    Car Insurance........................... 39
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 45
    Car parking............................. 30
    Other travel............................ 100 (school bus fares)
    Childcare/nursery....................... 74
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 12
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 8
    Contents insurance...................... 5
    Life assurance ......................... 41 we're keeping this policy in place until we move for conveinience, then we'll end it and get a better deal
    Storage unit fees....................... 100 (most of the junk is currently in storage until we get this house sold, am going to try and haggle a discount)
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20 not sure with this as i buy stuff in sales and keep it hidden :)
    Haircuts................................ 30
    Basketball.............................. 12
    Dance................................... 90
    Lottery................................. 18
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2163

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 110000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 7000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 117000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 72700....(520)......2.5
    Total secured & HP debts...... 72700.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Lcard..........................3811......100.......0 ends Feb 2016
    Tcard..........................975.......20........0 £600 is at 0% ends Oct 2015 the rest is being cleared off this weekend
    Bcard..........................3500......90........0 ends just after Christmas, reverts to normal APR which is probably about 20% :mad:
    Loan DH........................10553.....232.......3.5
    Loan me........................6300......304.......12.1
    Total unsecured debts..........25139.....746.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,318
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,163
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,155
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 746
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 409

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 117,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -72,700
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -25,139
    Net Assets.............................. 19,161

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dipdap wrote: »
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... varies between 3 and 5, depending on how many I have to feed! work with 5 for the purposes of the budget
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 800
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2000 (base salary is about £1600, DH has overtime currently guarenteed till Xmas) work with 1600 for the purposes of the budget
    Benefits................................ 518
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3318

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 520
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 81
    Electricity............................. 70 varies based on meter reading
    Gas..................................... 30 as above
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 42
    Telephone (land line)................... 15 part of package
    Mobile phone............................ 23
    TV Licence.............................. 13
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 60 part of package This seems quite high even as part of a package
    Internet Services....................... 25 part of package This too!!
    Groceries etc. ......................... 400 not exactly sure how much we spend a month here, needs better calculation
    Clothing................................ 100 again not sure exactly how much this should be
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 10
    Car Insurance........................... 39
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 45
    Car parking............................. 30
    Other travel............................ 100 (school bus fares)
    Childcare/nursery....................... 74
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 12
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 8
    Contents insurance...................... 5
    Life assurance ......................... 41 we're keeping this policy in place until we move for conveinience, then we'll end it and get a better deal
    Storage unit fees....................... 100 (most of the junk is currently in storage until we get this house sold, am going to try and haggle a discount)
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20 not sure with this as i buy stuff in sales and keep it hidden :) This seems quite low given there's up to 5 children in household on times
    Haircuts................................ 30
    Basketball.............................. 12
    Dance................................... 90
    Lottery................................. 18
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2163

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 110000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 7000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 117000

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 72700....(520)......2.5
    Total secured & HP debts...... 72700.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Lcard..........................3811......100.......0 ends Feb 2016
    Tcard..........................975.......20........0 £600 is at 0% ends Oct 2015 the rest is being cleared off this weekend
    Bcard..........................3500......90........0 ends just after Christmas, reverts to normal APR which is probably about 20% :mad:
    Loan DH........................10553.....232.......3.5
    Loan me........................6300......304.......12.1
    Total unsecured debts..........25139.....746.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,318
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,163
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,155
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 746
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 409

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 117,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -72,700
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -25,139
    Net Assets.............................. 19,161

I would use basic wage for OH as when the overtime ends you will need to revise the SOA/budget. I've also highlighted a few other things to maybe help you. The money for internet/phone and TV seem a little high although you do say they are part of packages. It may be worth a phone call to see if they can give you a better deal (I pay £21.49 for both phone and internet and I know lots on here pay less again)

With the estimated bills, maybe go through previous statements to get an average that gives you a realistic figure to work with.

When overtime stops it doesn't leave you with much to excess in the budget.

Just a few ideas, some may work, some may not but good luck tweaking it :money:

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • dipdap
    Options
    Hey hun, thanx for reading :)
    After posting I had a feeling it may need tweaking, im gonna give myself a couple of weeks to work with the figures and see how it goes.
    Currently having my dinner break at work, I've realised I haven't done my spending for the day so will sort that out when I get home in the morning.
    I feel like I've had another good day today :)
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    Hey dipdap,

SOA's almost always need tweaking. The 1st one is almost like a trial run. It's good to get one out there though so you have a focus and something down on paper/spreadsheet to work with. I know this was a big step for you so congrats for doing it :T

Keeping a spending diary and tracking everything over the coming weeks will help with the tweaking and will also highlight any areas that are slightly out or missing.

Dinner break at 1:30am = night shift then :coffee:

You are so focused and motivated, which is fab. Glad you've had a good day. :j It is contagious though and once you start seeing the savings and results, it then makes you want to find more savings and see more results :beer:

I don't know if you are a lover of spreadsheets but I found this on another post and fell in love with it :heart:
    http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/budgets.html

Keep up the good work

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• dipdap
    edited 5 October 2014 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Yeah I'm a night shift worker (fits round DH nicely :) )
    Got home from work this morning and fell straight asleep, so will jot down yesterday's spending now.

£12.00 on paint (we're making this house look saleable so the odd thing is gonna keep cropping up :) ) and carpet glue.
    £5.00 on gym (one of the kids classes, not me :D )
    £4 on DH ciggys :mad: (not much I can do about this one!)
    £6.87 on food (stocked up on a shed load of reduced to clear crisps for the kids lunch boxes, plus some other lunch box bits)

Total spend for the day = £28.81

DH is a smoker (drives me mad) he did stop for ages as we just couldn't afford it, but he started back up again a while ago (can't remember how far back now). The deal was he could have 2 lots of 10 a week but since he's been doing overtime the deal is he has 10 every other day. It seems to work ok and makes him more tolerable to live with when he gets grumpy :D I can't talk though as when I get grumpy I reach for the chocolate :rotfl:
    Little bits for the house are inevitable at the moment :( we need to make this house look saleable so if it involves spending a tender on a bucket of paint (or a hundred quid on flooring which were due to buy :eek: ) then so be it :)
  • Dobbibill
    Options
    dipdap wrote: »

DH is a smoker (drives me mad) he did stop for ages as we just couldn't afford it, but he started back up again a while ago (can't remember how far back now). The deal was he could have 2 lots of 10 a week but since he's been doing overtime the deal is he has 10 every other day. It seems to work ok and makes him more tolerable to live with when he gets grumpy :D I can't talk though as when I get grumpy I reach for the chocolate :rotfl:

I know it's not very MSE to smoke but I do too (my bad! :embarasse) I found buying tobacco, filters, papers and little rolling machine alot cheaper long run - 50grams of tobacco would probably last him 2 weeks or more and is about £16.60

Little bits for the house are inevitable at the moment :( we need to make this house look saleable so if it involves spending a tender on a bucket of paint (or a hundred quid on flooring which were due to buy :eek: ) then so be it :)

Improving the house for selling is something that will pay off in the long run (more a marathon than a sprint)

DB

• bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello :D
    Just checking you are updating:rotfl:
    You are doing so well and i KNOW you will do it as your determined and like colouring those squares in:T:T
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback