Moving out rented flat

Not sure if this is in the right section but having trouble with my letting agents and need some advice.

We moved into a flat last september with a 6 month contract, which was then extended to a month by month rolling contract with the payment date being the 1st of every month. We were looking to move to a new flat and got told of a friends flat was available at the end of the month. I phoned the letting agent to say we were moving out and they said I needed to hand in written confirmation. With it being the end of the month there wasnt any way I could get the letter in the post by the 1st. I asked if I could come into the store on the 1st and hand in written confirmation which they said was fine. A couple of days ago I got a letter saying that our notice was recieved on the 13th of this month and would not take affect till the following month, so they had obviously misplaced the letter (which was dated the 1st). I have been ringing the store but not really getting anywhere, they are telling me that they are looking into it but i am getting no where and need to get this sorted asap as I have already cancelled bills, sky etc and need to get a deposit together for next month. If anyone has any information on where we stand, i.e. if we have done the right thing, would be really helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    jon12355 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the right section but having trouble with my letting agents and need some advice.

We moved into a flat last september with a 6 month contract, which was then extended to a month by month rolling contract with the payment date being the 1st of every month. We were looking to move to a new flat and got told of a friends flat was available at the end of the month. I phoned the letting agent to say we were moving out and they said I needed to hand in written confirmation. With it being the end of the month there wasnt any way I could get the letter in the post by the 1st. I asked if I could come into the store on the 1st and hand in written confirmation which they said was fine. A couple of days ago I got a letter saying that our notice was recieved on the 13th of this month and would not take affect till the following month, so they had obviously misplaced the letter (which was dated the 1st). I have been ringing the store but not really getting anywhere, they are telling me that they are looking into it but i am getting no where and need to get this sorted asap as I have already cancelled bills, sky etc and need to get a deposit together for next month. If anyone has any information on where we stand, i.e. if we have done the right thing, would be really helpful.

Thanks

Perhaps popping into the letting agents and speaking with the person you personally handed the notice to would help?

Hopefully they can remember you gave them notice to quit last month, rather than last week.

Good luck! :)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Regarding the deposit for your new flat, you will have to sort this out yourself I'm afraid.
    You'll need to have paid the deposit by, at the latest, the day your new tenancy agreement commences, and you won't get your existing deposit back until after you have left your current home. The deposit should be held under an approved deposit scheme, so the days of getting the deposit back in exchange for the keys are long gone, sorry.
  • jon12355
    jon12355 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I understand that I wont get the depoit back straight away but with the rent I would have to pay for an extra month I couldnt afford the deposit and rent in advance on the new place. I have spoke to them today and they said that my notice should of been given in before the 01/06/2012 if i wanted to move out at the end of the month. I gave it on the 01/06/2012 as instucted by one of there employees. They have accepeted that they did recieve the letter on the 01/06/2012. Isthis correct?
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    If your agreement is periodic (ie rolling from week to week or month to month), you normally have to give at least four weeks' notice to end it, or a calendar month if you have a monthly tenancy.

It is always best to give notice in writing and ensure that the notice ends on the first or last day of the period of a tenancy. For example, if your tenancy is monthly and started on the fifth day of the month, the notice you give the landlord should end on the fourth or the fifth.
    As already mentioned try to speak with the person that you handed it in to.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure