IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Urgent advice kindly requested - County Claim (Gladstone Solicitors)

Options

Comments

• Kamran
    Kamran Posts: 477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pofa - only if you are relying on the no keeper liability argument in your defence?

No, I don't think I am. I am relying on inadequate signage. I'll get rid of that then
  • Kamran
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Here's a first draft of my witness statement, would be most grateful for any comments. i'm hoping it should be fairly simple:

XXX County Court
    Case Number: XXX
    Hearing date: 2nd Feb 2018

Defendant: Mr XXX
    Vs
    Claimant: Parking & Property Management LTD / Gladstones Solicitors LTD

Witness Statement: Mr XXX

I am the Defendant in this matter, I am unrepresented, with no experience of Court procedures. If I do not set out documents in the way that the Claimant may do, I trust the Court will excuse my inexperience.
    In this Witness statement, the facts and matters stated are true and within my own knowledge, except where indicated otherwise.

I as the defendant deny I am liable for the entirety of this claim for the following reasons:

• On the date and time in question, the driver entered and parked at XXX Meadows residential parking area. The driver left the vehicle by foot and as per the photographic and video evidence supplied, there was insufficient signage or barriers that would inform any motorist that there were parking restrictions in place
    • I believe that the signage on site does not comply with the BPA Approved Code of practice. There are no apparent entrance signs that can be seen clearly from a driver view as you can see the photos and video. The BPA code of practice point B4.2 states that signs must be placed at the entrance to the site and inform a driver that the location is private land and managed by a BPA member
    • Furthermore, on later inspection, the signs that are indeed present use an unusually small font size and are located high on walls, making them inconspicuous and difficult to read

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That is far too short and I can't say it is close to any WS you would have found in the NEWBIES thread, so take another look and let's see more than that, please.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Kamran
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    That is far too short and I can't say it is close to any WS you would have found in the NEWBIES thread, so take another look and let's see more than that, please.

Thanks, I think that was a strangely short example that I had come across. I've done more digging and come up with the following. Would be grateful for your review before I print and post next week.

To summarise / remind - I feel there is definitely inadequate signage on the private residential land where the vehicle was parked.

XXX County Court
    Case Number: XXX
    Hearing date: XXX Feb 2018

Defendant: XXX
    Vs
    Claimant: Parking & Property Management LTD / Gladstones Solicitors LTD

Witness Statement: XXX

I am the Defendant in this matter, I am unrepresented, with no experience of Court procedures. If I do not set out documents in the way that the Claimant may do, I trust the Court will excuse my inexperience.
    In this Witness statement, the facts and matters stated are true and within my own knowledge, except where indicated otherwise.

I as the defendant deny I am liable for the entirety of this claim for the following reasons:

1. As an unrepresented litigant-in-person I respectfully ask that I be permitted to amend and or supplement this interim defence as may be required following a fuller disclosure of the Claimant’s case.
    2. I deny any liability in respect of the claim.
    3. On the date and time in question, the driver entered and parked at XXX Meadows residential area, under the impression that there was no charge for parking
    4. The Claimant is a well-funded company with a dedicated legal staff and is a serial litigator. I submit that his issuing Particulars of Claim lacking in usable detail or that do not disclose a clear cause of action is not only remiss but smacks of a “Cut and Paste” approach to the issuing of proceedings. I further submit that this demonstrates a disregard for the dignity of the court and little concern for the Claimant’s duties in supporting the court to achieve the overriding objectives.
    5. Additionally such scant Particulars leave Defendants to respond to what are at best vague details.
    6. It is denied that the Claimant is the landowner of the property in question or that they have any other right or proprietary interest in the land or any demonstrable intention to occupy it sufficient to support this claim.
    7. The Claimant is therefore put to strict proof that they were at the time of the alleged event in possession of sufficient authority to issue parking charges and institute proceedings in their own name and can demonstrate a clear chain of authority from the landowner.
    8. If the court is minded to accept that the Claimant has standing then I submit that the signs on site at the time of the alleged event were insufficient in terms of their numbers, distribution and wording to reasonably convey a contractual obligation and did not in any event at the time comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice of the Independent Parking Committee’s Accredited Operators Scheme a signatory to which the Claimant was at the relevant time.
    9. There are no apparent entrance signs that can be seen clearly from a driver view as you can see the photos and video. The BPA code of practice point B4.2 states that signs must be placed at the entrance to the site and inform a driver that the location is private land and managed by a BPA member
    10. In due course I will ask the court to consider the frequently overlooked test established by Roskill LJ in the matter of Vine -v- London Borough of Waltham Forest ('Vine') insofar as it relates to the display of signage in conveying an obligation.
    11. I further submit that such is the complexity and density of the text on the Claimant’s signs that the most onerous term – the £100 parking charge – is buried amongst a mass of small print and does not even begin to comply with Denning MR’s “Red Hand Rule”.
    12. In the absence of any signage that contractually bound the Defendant then there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.
    13. In the above circumstances I respectfully ask that the court dismiss the claim.

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
  • muleskinner
    Options
    PPM are IPC members, not BPA.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    3. On the date and time in question, I entered and parked at XXX Meadows residential area, under the impression that there was no charge for parking

Explain this more, as it doesn't sound convincing. What gave you that impression and what did you do to check for any terms?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Kamran
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Explain this more, as it doesn't sound convincing. What gave you that impression and what did you do to check for any terms?

Thanks, here's my edit

3. On the date and time in question, the driver entered and parked at XXX Meadows residential area. Upon entering the area, the driver came across no obvious signage, barriers, pay-and-display machines or any other suggestion that there were parking restrictions in place. The driver left the area by foot and still did not come across the aforementioned. I refer to the video evidence submitted that shows a driver's perspective upon entering the residential area.
  • Kamran
    Options
    PPM are IPC members, not BPA.

is there an equivalent phrase i can replace the following with, to be IPC specific instead of BPA?

9. The BPA code of practice point B4.2 states that signs must be placed at the entrance to the site and inform a driver that the location is private land and managed by a BPA member
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why have you suddenly started saying ‘I did this’, ‘I did that’ when your defence clearly denies Keeper Liability
    [5]
    The identity of the driver of the vehicle on the date in question has not been ascertained:
    (a) the Claimant did not identify the driver
    (b) the Defendant has no liability, as they are the Keeper of the vehicle and the Claimant must rely upon the strict provisions of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 in order to hold the defendant responsible for the driver’s alleged breach.
    (c) the Claimant's increasingly demanding letters failed to evidence any clear/prominent signage
    The Claimant will be all over that contradiction.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2.1 Where the basis of your parking charges is based in the law of contract it will usually be by way of the driver of a vehicle agreeing to contractual terms identified by signage in and around a controlled zone. It is therefore of fundamental importance that the signage meets the minimum standards under The Code as this underpins the validity of any such charge. Similarly, where charges are founded in the law of trespass and form liquidated damages, these too must be communicated to drivers in the same way.

2.2 Signs must conform to the requirements as set out in a schedule 1 to the Code

The IPC version in in sectionb.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport