PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger's room stinks of smoke and left it in a mess

1235»

Comments

• He's flying a kite... how do I know? 'Cos his letter is poorly researched, cobbled together from irrelevant articles he's half-read on the 'net. and factually inaccurate. He's putting all his eggs into one basket - the idea that he might panic you into acceding to some or all of his demands. Ignore him and like the smell, he will eventually fade away.
    "But what if he does go to a lawyer?" I hear you say... well then, the practitioner will advise him that he has no case... Simples!
    A chum of mine had similar trouble with a difficult lodger - drank all my friend's expensive booze, made late-night noise, etc.etc. Same scenario, in that he worked with him, too. My chum stressed heavily about getting rid of him, and as such you have my sympathy - this sort of thing can be mildly frightening. But tough it out - he'll know he's in the wrong & like the loser he undoubtedly is, he'll eventually give up and find something else in his crappy little life to get all aggrieved about!
    Don't take all our posts of sympathy / support as carte blanche to do nothing, though - continue to collect evidence of your position - a quote from a cleaner would be a great start, just in case, beltNbraces. Not least, having a record of the cost of cleaning to hand will make you feel better about the whole incident, 'cos you'll have in print what you are thinking.
  • Benzanna
    Benzanna Posts: 125
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Forumite
    aneary wrote: »
    Any act against the person is what the victim feels. It's the reason why there isn't a defence of weak skull.

As the lodger is a contractor and the OP is perm then it is worth talking to HR the Perm person is always treated with more care.

Hi,
    I did ask him to stop harrassing me a number of times as he would always send the messages late at night and they got more and more aggressive.

I spoke to HR at work as it resulted in me being nervous walking around the building and putting off having meetings I knew were on his floor. HR have completely had my back and agreed that I should not have to feel like this at work.

Funnily enough it turns out he's already had a few complaints from other colleagues about various other things he's done...!
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Benzanna wrote: »
    Hi,
    I did ask him to stop harrassing me a number of times as he would always send the messages late at night and they got more and more aggressive.

I spoke to HR at work as it resulted in me being nervous walking around the building and putting off having meetings I knew were on his floor. HR have completely had my back and agreed that I should not have to feel like this at work.

Funnily enough it turns out he's already had a few complaints from other colleagues about various other things he's done...!

He will be leaving soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport