Questions about Balance Transfers

Comments

• Hi.

I have an outstanding balance of £1956 on a MNBA card. I have a good chance of getting an good deal on a BT to a Virgin card. I have read that you cannot transfer between these cards. Is this still the case and if so is there a workaround? Also can I do a BT from my Argos Store card to this Virgin card?

Cheers in advance.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    leegplayer wrote: »
    Hi.

I have an outstanding balance of £1956 on a MNBA card. I have a good chance of getting an good deal on a BT to a Virgin card. I have read that you cannot transfer between these cards. Is this still the case and if so is there a workaround? Also can I do a BT from my Argos Store card to this Virgin card?

Cheers in advance.

Virgin cards used to be issued by MBNA until a couple of years ago. Now they are issued by Virgin Money, so the two cards are not longer linked.

You cannot balance transfer from and Argos card as it is not a credit card (Amex, MasterCard or Visa).
  • You cannot balance transfer from and Argos card as it is not a credit card (Amex, MasterCard or Visa).

Does Virgin Cards still do the Super Balance Transfer so I can clear the Argos card this way?

Cheers in advance.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2017 at 10:22AM
    Does Virgin Cards still do the Super Balance Transfer so I can clear the Argos card this way?

Cheers in advance.

I have quickly look at their website and cannot see any reference to Super Balancr Transfer. What you need is a money balance transfer card, so you can transfer to your bank account and from there pay your Argos account.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

Cheers in advance.

Virgin Money has a huge range of MT/BT card options. If you take a look at the Money Transfer and Balance Transfer sections you can see the respective fees. You just need to calculate the costs of transferring your respective balances.

Most (if not all) of the cards have the same promotional length on MTs and BTs just with differing fees.
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE can you help? I applied for the HSBC balance transfer card mentioned in the 29th March email - transfer 1,500 & get £50 cashback. I have heard nothing from them. Not one word - the process went through & said they would be back to me in (I think) 5 or 10 working days - TBH it has been a busy month & with Easter & being in the email I gave them some leeway. I have checked my noodle report (produced on 18th) and there is nothing on it. The only reason I know confidently that it was the 29th is because I downloaded the T&Cs (and also it ended that night).
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • Watermarc
    Watermarc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm wondering if there is any advantage to getting a BT card with an institution you already bank with over one you've never banked with?

For example, the eligibility calc says I have an equal chance of getting a Halifax and a Barclaycard 0% card. One is 24 months, the other is 26 months so not much difference there. I already have a Halifax account which is not used much but is still active. I'm wondering if I might get a higher credit limit with a "home" institution as opposed to going to a new one. Or is this type of old-world, personal, talk-to-your-bank-manager-and-see-what-he-can-do-for-a-valued-customer banking non-existant nowadays?!

Any experiences of this?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Water I would say if your halifax account was been used for your income and in a good state then yes, but given its barely used and I assume a low balance I dont think it will help you much.
  • I've been looking at balance transfers and noticed that there are a lot of 0% on balance tranfers for a period of time but with 3% handling fee. Does this mean that if I tranferred over £1000, I would have to pay £30 for the priviledge?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes. .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills