fork lift test.. What is the info for keeping it in date?

I was always under the impression it was every 3 yrs due to insurance, but after speaking with a test person for info on booking today he informed me i shouldnt have to retake it.

Im confused..
I want to do a conversion for reach truck, so i just thought i would need to re do counter balance, then do reach truck, but he seemed to imply just conversion may be ok. The guy i need to talk to is away till next tue but he has a msg to call me as soon as. I did my test dec 2002 and then worked as fork lift driver till 2004, and have been out of work since then ( but confident 30 min in a truck and i know what im doing lol ) any input would be great thank you x
sus x

Comments

• Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just aksed my oh and he says they need renewing every 3 years, shouldnt take you too long to do though I would imagine
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The licenses never run out if you have a RTITB or similar (ie not inhouse) but it is recommended that you have a refresher every 3 years.

It is down to the employer whether they insist upon this, but that is the recommendation.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • I do have the RTITB certificate. double checked it after conversation as was unsure, but thanks for replying both of you.

How much harder is the reach truck in comparison to cb?
    sus x
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Reach is abit 'caggy handed' as you sit sideways whilst drving it, so i imagine it is more difficult. I dont drive them, i just deal with drivers sometimes )
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oh says that it is just different techniques, not easier or hard just different, says that you just need to use your common sense, he also says that there isnt a conversion, you have licences for one or the other or two licences (ie one each), he says that you need a licence for each type of flt
  • i understand that part of having two tests its just how its termed and called a conversion as you have the basic knowledge just changing perspective and approach ie conversion. but thank you x
    sus x
  • Your RTITB doesn't need renewing. Employers sometimes have to send you on courses to satsify their insurance companies.
    I have had experiences in the past where on producing my RTITB certificate i was handed the keys and other occasions when they have insisted on me going on a refresher course (usual just an in house assesment of your abilities) I think the only time you can lose your RTITB is if you cause an accident due to misuse of a fork lift etc

Hope thats of help, Just going off my past experiences.
    I'm not lost. I'm just going the long way round.....
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Your FLT license lasts for life. It is recommended that a user refreshes/retests every 5 years. Though that is changing to every 3 years. I personally believe that this is a money making scam. Sure in the wrong hands and or used incorrectly a FLT is a lethal piece of machinery. Every test center/instructor will play the safety card. If they were correct then every car driver would need to retested as well. However to suggest that the RTITB are involved in a money making scam is heresy.
    Lastly a reach truck is a different type of machine and needs a different license. You should as an experienced counter balance driver be fine with the 3 day course.

yours

Eamon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family