No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Comments

• IN skin wisdom rich moisuriser and a UU skin kindly eye gel
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • trudij
    trudij Posts: 1,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Glittery blue nails sound gorgeous ems - v jealous !! Rosemary - I had a shellac manacure and pedicure back in August, and I adored it,couldnt stop stroking them !!!

Im back by the way - same thing though, no stash other than horse things, just miss you all too much !! Anyone who wants to go as admin on the facebook site,give me a shout, have a feeling that when the new year comes we will need help !! (and goodness - next month will be this threads 3rd birthday - how time flies !!!)

welcome newbies, and huge,huge hugs to all who need them.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 144
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    UU Garnier face wash gel - this was a basically empty bottle lurking at the back of the shower wrack and I think it has been on the go for at least 2 years, I'm glad I won't have to look at this any more!

Since starting to use my 'good' products everyday I have decided that face wash is one of the areas that I would rather pay a little more for. My skin has really thanked me and although it's never been too bad I can definitely tell the difference.
  • moromir wrote: »
    Oh I'm in Chelmsford so its not close for me either - I've only been to the Piccadilly Circus one and I try to pop in for a treat when I can :D

They do make your own peanut butter too!

I live a 5 minute drive from a Whole Foods place, it's amazing! Would need a second mortgage to shop there regularly though. I make up and buy their unsalted peanut butter, my little DD loves it and I don't mind her having it as it's better than the normal jar stuff. :D

Their cherry and salted caramel eton mess is to DIE for. But a £5 for a very small pot, it's a rare luxury :rotfl:
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • Evening all!

Rosemary, I think you may have hit a real LB moment this week! I definitely agree with both you and indiepanda over the stockpiling issues. Personally I know I have problems with decluttering generally; I get upset when OH throws things away, get emotionally attached to objects and have a recurring nightmare of empty kitchen cupboards. So the idea of stockpiling for a nuclear winter extends to all areas of my life. Toiletries in particular are an easy pick me up for me; they're fairly cheap, last a long time, but the thrill of purchasing has worn off recently.

I've been buying Xmas presents online tonight, and spent the best part of an hour looking at the 3rd item. I could have gotten something for me or OH, as we don't really buy each other toiletries for Xmas. Yet every time I clicked on an item I could identify something 'wrong', whether it had items I knew I wouldn't use, or items I knew I still had plenty of in the stash. I may have hit my own LB moment, as I didn't buy something for myself, despite the ample opportunity.

Becky, I've been doing something similar, but putting £2 in an account for each UU/TA. I save them up until payday and then transfer the money the first day I get paid. It's an emergency cushion if required but I'm hoping to save up for a good 6 months. I've popped the odd extra in the account, for example when I had a NPI over murad skincare, I transferred the cost of what I would have bought in to the account instead. I've managed to put more than £115 on one side in the two months I've been doing this challenge, and I would really like to see it up around £300 before I start dipping in to it.

Two quick UUs to report:

Body Shop Vitamin E cream cleanser small bottle
    White company shampoo miniature.

I enjoyed using the cream cleanser more than I thought I would and it has left my skin nice and soft: still not as great as a cream cleanser though! WNBA.
    The shampoo was a nice hotel freebie WMBA if I ever saw White Company products on sale - love that place!
  • Hello Ladies --- I'm back!!!

Welcome to all the newbies - and hugs to all. It seems a lot of us are in need right now.

Mum and i had a lovely trip to the US to visit family - it was great to see mum having such a good time after the year she has had.

I got my results from the genetics centre, and I'm a moderatly high risk. I am going to begin yearly visits to the family history clinic but so far that's all that is needed. V pleased with that!

Managed to get through my whole holiday buying 3 BE Buxom lip gloss (Liberty) so hard to find it near me, I now have enough to last through 2013 :D Also bought 1 eyeshadow - because it was reduced bu 80%, a moment of weakness! Went to Five Below and bought two Sally Hanson nail sticker thingies - leopard print and black glitter, $2 each. So not bad at all. Will glitter my nails whilst working christmas night!

I managed three trips to Sephora and bought - drum roll please
    NOTHING. Am I cured, or just ill??? Mum was quite concerned when I uttered the words 'I really don't need anything, and I will just see lovely stuff that I will have to buy - can we go please' I have to say, I had to take a moment pat myself on the back and have a little sit down.

I did however run riot in Whole Foods - its the size of a giant TESCO, OMG, I love that place. Bought a whole load of stuff home:T So glad I don't live close to one here, would never have any money.

My clarissonic is wonderfull - bought it during another moment of weakness in Oct. Will not look back. Using decleor cleansing wash at the mo and all is good.

Will be gifting some of my stash as part of xmas gifts - so that will reduce it a little. Also, work have asked for 'anything' this year for hamper gifts - including toiletries. So may well pass a few things on to the people collecting. Will be just my luck to win the blooming things back!

Althought I have not 'written off' December, I'm guessing that with work and xmas I will be a little busy, so my intention is to begin my new stash list this month. Then when I (no doubt) get smellies for xmas I can add it to the list. In Jan when I manage to post a full up-to-date list I can feel very proud of myself. (let's see if it happens:cool:) The intention is there at least.

I also plan to continue my £1 in the pot for every uu and £5 in the pot for each TSV I do not buy. In addition I would like to have a more structured list, so will start counting up my UU. Think this will give me more of a sense of achievement - I clearly need that!

Hope everyone has a lovely day - I will be in bed sleeping after my nightshift!
    Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning everyone, bit behind reading, major probs yesterday, please send some positive vibes to my little brother B (51) airlifted to hospital with a major heart problem, touch and go atm, just praying he can hold on long enough to be taken into theatre for surgery. No need to post back to me, but if you can spare him a thought, as I really do believe in the power of positive thought etc. Thanks.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Morning everyone, bit behind reading, major probs yesterday, please send some positive vibes to my little brother B (51) airlifted to hospital with a major heart problem, touch and go atm, just praying he can hold on long enough to be taken into theatre for surgery. No need to post back to me, but if you can spare him a thought, as I really do believe in the power of positive thought etc. Thanks.

how awful,you have my prayers and hugs.I am at an age when I am starting to think about how long people I know have left:(of course I also worry about what they will say if I go first and they see my stash:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:next years resolution is to use money I would have spent on stuff to put in my cupboard(am thinking of it that way as not actually using much as only so much stuff you can put on your face at once)to go out and enjoy life.think i would be shocked if i added up what I had spent.
    just bought OH another christmas pressie as feeling a bit guilty at how much I spend on myself:rotfl:

just bought glamour jan issue for the Body shop card....mag was £1.50 and card worth at least £3 but could be £15 or £100

am guessing mine will be £3:(struggles to read the small print even with glasses on but think you have to spend it all at once so lucky girls with £100 take note!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hugs to everyone - we all seem to need one at the moment. I had a shocking day yesterday, very stressed, there is so much to do and so many things to remember that I freaked out a bit.

Have a uu this morning

Estee Lauder Pleasures - gwp size, I opened this on Friday just gone for my friends wedding, it was nice enough but not special enough for me to buy it.

I think I will do the money in a pot thing too. Rather than for uu I will do it for every time I come close to spending but don't give in. If I do £5 each time I think that I would rather see that sum of money going up rather than the credit card bill.

I didn't buy the Body Shop gift set, it is good value if you don't already have loads of the stuff.

My new hairdryer arrived yesterday and I used it this morning, my hair was dry super quick even though it wasn't as hot as my old one. I am using Gum Double Cream shampoo and conditioner at the moment and whilst hard to get out as it is so thick it is lovely. My hair is very shiny and feels super soft. These were bought from Home Bargains ages ago but next time I am there I will have a look for them.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • miclare
    miclare Posts: 119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all and hugs and positive thoughts to all those that need them!

I didnt do brilliantly since joining last month, I thought I'd have loads of UUs but the dam things just keep on spluttering out more product! Have been naughty and just ordered the LE skincare offer - but I actually have a few bits I need to put on Ebay and the C&P from the order will be joining it so I'm holding off on how many ins it's cost me until I've Ebayed and sold the bits that I dont need and possibly a few other bits. Sounds a bit of a cop out but they will all be accounted for I promise!

I'm not sure if I'm a member of the GB group or not, what's it called or can someone pm me with info please as I'd love to swap some bits x
    No buying un-necessary toiletries challenge - Start total: 235. Current total: 273!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure