Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    If you keep letting them in they'll keep ringing your bell. Next time they do it explain the tenant upstairs is slow to answer the doorbell because of the stairs and ask them to wait rather than ring your bell.
    I get the impression that the police - once they've gained access - don't wait to talk:
    Police has been coming to one of the neighbours every day since Sunday and they keep on ringing my bell and then barging past me saying they have to go upstairs.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ring the 'station' ????
    You are having a laugh...........
    Dixon of Dock Green days are long gone.
    :p:p

Where exactly do you think police officers are based nowadays? They still have police stations, details are likely to be on their local police website, including the name of the Inspector with responsibility for it.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where exactly do you think police officers are based nowadays? They still have police stations, details are likely to be on their local police website, including the name of the Inspector with responsibility for it.

However I would imagine that the call would be given zero focus, they would fob you off with various tactics all call handlers learn and it would achieve nothing apart from increasing your frustration next time they rang your bell.

I made an appointment to collect property from the police station, I had the name and number of the officer dealing, I had a description of the property, was told where it would be left, had my ID etc - guess what? Given the run around and kept waiting for ages while they looked, tried to contact officer dealing, insisted it wasn't there etc. They don't value anyone else's time the way they value police time.

I am intrigued as to exactly what none criminal matter they are spending so much time and effort on. Cheshire police usually fob you off when you call to report stuff, the worst one for me was when youths were starting a fire against the porch of a primary school and they said there was no-one free to help me when I rang 999!
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    If the police used the correct bell why would that mean a risk of distress to the hard-of-hearing person?
    Of course, they're getting help - 5 police officers are coming through the door.

It's not about assisting the police or helping a hard of hearing neighbour or even being nice.
    The police have a perfectly good way of getting access to this person without disturbing the OP - they're just not using it.

I don't know. Perhaps they feel the slow response indicates a possible problem? Perhaps the hard of hearing person has a hearing assist device that they might remove every now and then? I would just be very wary about not assisting a person with a known disability simply because it's a little bit inconvenient for me every once in a while.

My comment about helping someone who might be in distress was meant more generally. If the police or fire or ambulance wanted access to a property and I could help, I would do so.

I see the emergency services as being on my side; hopefully if I don't answer my door some day a kindly neighbour will take an interest. It might save a life.
    Too full of their own self importance to wait.

Or maybe there is more to this than meets your Mr unGenerous eye?

I can't see what's such a big deal about answering a door.
    Mornië utulië
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 5:17PM
    Options
    Thanks for all responses.

The person they are coming to see is not elderly or physically disabled ie movement is not affected, actually much younger than me and is not slow on purpose but there are extra 3 flights of stairs. Police are very well aware of it as they are here quite often, this is an ongoing issue.And the person is called before they turn up anyway. So expecting them.

No, not criminal and nobody in here is at any risk so this is not the same as assisting anyone in emergency - which I would have no problem doing.

I have a large dog that barks with the doorbell. If anyone is visiting me I ask them to call my mobile rather than doorbell so my doorbell is only used by delivery people really to minimise the dog barking.

They do not ask or say thanks - they just barge past me and I guess this is what I feel is wrong. As I said, not an emergency in any shape or form. And yes, it was 5 of them last time and I was very close to asking them if they really have nothing better to do for at least 3 of them as 1-2 would be enough for the issue.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I can't see what's such a big deal about answering a door.

And that is fine, for you. For me it is an issue to be bothered like that few days in a row.

It seems to have stopped now. Till it happens again as I know it will. Just not sure when.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'd be quite annoyed at my neighbours being regularly disturbed on my behalf, particularly when I'd made arrangements (appropriate doorbell) to be able to do what was required myself.

Gettingready - do they physically barge past or just ignore you talking to them? If the latter, I'd be only opening the door enough to talk to them and standing such that they couldn't get in until they'd explained why they kept bothering me when there was no need.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I will leave it now (emailed local Police station - no reply) but when it starts again (and it will) - will then really make a massive complaint.

Thanks everyone
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    They do not ask or say thanks - they just barge past me and I guess this is what I feel is wrong.
    I shouldn't think the police have time to spend tugging their fore locks and passing the time of day with pleasantries. They want to get on with their job and they know you don't appreciate their presence (you will when you need them of course).

You do know that the police spend their working lives under threat and it is reasonable to expect law-abiding people like yourself to support them even if it's a little bit inconvenient.

It's also not their fault that your dog goes off on one when the bell rings; after all, that is one of the reasons you have a dog isn't it?

You can't make a 'massive complaint' around the premise that they ring your bell :o Or even that they push your buttons...
    Mornië utulië
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2017 at 7:34PM
    Options
    It seems there must be some good reason the police are attending in such numbers, in seemingly such a hurry. You've said it's not criminal.
    You've said it's not physical .

So what is it? A neighbour problem?

With police resources at breaking point right now, why would they give so much
    attention to a non problem?

Is this person vulnerable and hence why the police are in such a hurry?
    Have you considered there's something you aren't aware of?
    Something doesn't add up in your explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure