New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Why must I be trolling? I have seen very occasionally a gradient sign when I've been on holiday (not me driving), but never seen one that says "Low gear". I didn't realise that was a real picture when you posted it.

I live in Cambridgeshire which is exceptionally flat and has no hills to speak of at all. Why would I have ever seen a sign like that?
    You do realise that there are pictures in the Highway Code? Remember the Highway Code?
  • AdrianC
    bsod wrote: »
    if the handbrake is on, and the clutch is up, the car is stalled.
    Which bit of "not in gear"...?
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You do realise that there are pictures in the Highway Code? Remember the Highway Code?
    This is the Highway Code. That sign is not there.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57f76409ed915d06fd000027/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

regardless I dont see why it matters given that, as I said, I'm well aware of going in lower gears when going up a hill...
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Which bit of "not in gear"...?

which bit of engine braking works if it isn't in gear?
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • Tried this on way home slowing down with accelerator first.

Then break with no clutch. The car felt like it was vibrating a little so then I put the clutch in. When the car starts to vibrate a bit is this when you know it is time to do clutch and break together? Going to go out later when it's quite to practice
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    This is the Highway Code. That sign is not there.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/57f76409ed915d06fd000027/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

regardless I dont see why it matters given that, as I said, I'm well aware of going in lower gears when going up a hill...

Is it ironic that you missed this also? ;)
    Note: Although The Highway Code shows many of the signs commonly in use, a comprehensive
    explanation of our signing system is given in the Department’s booklet Know Your Traffic Signs,
    which is on sale at booksellers. The booklet also illustrates and explains the vast majority of signs
    the road user is likely to encounter. The signs illustrated in The Highway Code are not all drawn to
    the same scale. In Wales, bilingual versions of some signs are used including Welsh and English
    versions of place names. Some older designs of signs may still be seen on the roads.

many of is not all :)

The example sign shown earlier was in advance of going downhill. :wall:
  • kmb500
    I dont see why it is such a big deal that I have never driven up a serious hill and never come across a sign that says Low Gear. I'm not blind, if I read it I would know what it meant.

Why are you all treating me LIke im stupid.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Because you keep saying UP. :wall:
  • kmb500
    DoaM wrote: »
    Because you keep saying UP. :wall:
    UP? What does that stand for?
  • AdrianC
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:20PM

I must be imagining the last pair on the penultimate line of the third page, then.
    (There's a clue there, btw, although the original intent of posting that image was the advisory text beneath the sign - I did somewhat take it for granted that you would understand the sign itself, although I realise I certainly shouldn't have...)

Oh, and reading the note text at the bottom of the first page would help you, too.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf
    Page 12 (page numbering, p13 of pdf)
    <gibber>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport