Bottle feeds whilst out and about

Hi all,

First time dad here - My partner and I have been talking about this and trying to work out exactly how we're meant to prep food for our little one whilst we're out.

From what I can see, people recommend making it up at home and going out with a bottle but as far as I can tell from the back of the formula box it's only good for two hours once mixed - So that seem's like a no-go

So the next option looks to be sterilising the bottle at home then leaving empty and just popping the lid on which should stay sterile for a while (Tommee Tippee Closter to Nature if it matters) than find somewhere with boiled water or take flask than prepare the feed it whilst we're out - Seems to be best bet so far but wanted to make sure bottles are safe to use

Last options is similar to above but keep cooled boiled water in the now sterile bottle but surely that defeats the whole 70c plus for the formula?

Oh and I know there are the pre-made bottles but at over £10 for 6 bottles it's not exactly 'money saving' to keep getting these.

Sorry if this is actually simple to do but we're just a bit nervous as first time parents. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2017 at 10:10PM
    The sterilization is just meant to kill the bugs that might grow on the previous milk's residues. Once sterilised and filled with boiled water they'll be fine for ages. Just take a small tub of measured out formula and mix when needed no matter what temperature. If too cold for baby, most restsurants have a bottle warmer nowadays. Even made up formula will keep longer. Our health visitor said 6 hours. As long as the bottles are properly shut and clean. We used to keep one next to our bed at night as not to have to make on at night.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    My DD mostly had expressed breast milk but on the odd occasion I needed it she had formula. i used to sterilise the bottle and take a small flask of boiling water out with me and powder measured out in little pots. Then when needed i'd make the formula using around 75% of the total water needed with the flask water, add the powder, shake and then top up with some cold water. Easy. If you don't have a flask most places will give you boiling water without much hassle.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We used the small cartons - more expensive than powder but not as much as the pre-filled bottles! We just put the lid on a sterilised bottle and took that with us, ready to add the carton when needed. The first bottle could be pre-made at home and given within two hours, then the carton used later if we were out for that long.

The powder isn't sterile once the tub has been opened so you ideally want to use water hot enough to kill any bugs if you're using it. If you want to go with the PP's suggestion of hot water topped up with cold, you just need to make sure you know exactly how much cold you need to add (I'd mark it on the bottle or use a second bottle to measure it before adding it) as it's important to get the right amount of water to powder rather than just eyeballing it.
  • thriftylass
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2017 at 9:52PM
    The thing is, as with everything else re child care, the "rules" change constantly. For mine (now 5 and 2)i was never told to make it up with hot water to kill the bugs. I always just had sterile bottles sitti g there with cooled boiled water and put the formula in as needed. Of course i always had clean hands, never touched the formula or left the spoon in it etc to keep it clean. Honestly, i think everthing is overthought nowadays and premade carton baby milk is a money making machine.

However, if you're worried and want to be extra safe I'd go with the suggestion to take a good flask the keeps the water hot or ask in a pub/restaurant etc for boiled water and cool it under a tap.
  • notanewuser
    The thing is, as with everything else re child care, the "rules" change constantly. For mine (now 5 and 2)i was never told to make it up with hot water to kill the bugs. I always just had sterile bottles sitti g there with cooled boiled water and put the formula in as needed. Of course i always had clean hands, never touched the formula or left the spoon in it etc to keep it clean. Honestly, i think everthing is overthought nowadays and premade carton baby milk is a money making machine. If you want to be safe or are worried take a good flask the keeps the water hot or ask in a pub/restaurant etc for boiled water and cool it under a tap.

Really? My DD is 6 and the advice re boiling water was very evident then!
  • thriftylass
    Forumite
    Really? My DD is 6 and the advice re boiling water was very evident then!

Must've been my health visitor then. Still, depending on who you ask you get a different answer. But, agree ask for boiling water or take it and be safe according to today's guidelines. Sorry, didnt mean to advocate taking a risk. But in my mind buying those cartons is a waste of money if you have to get them everytime you go out.
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can recommend the cartons of formula. I used them for my son, now aged 6. I would have the bottles pre-sterilised in his changing bag and then it was just a matter of snipping open the carton and pouring the formula into the bottle. It made life so much easier when we were away from home. HTH
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • notanewuser
    My DD liked even breast milk hotter than body temperature.
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 January 2017 at 9:53AM
    We use the small cartons of the same brand as the formula we feed our son whilst we are out for the day (e.g. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=266275042). They're about 70-75p per carton.

Keep sterilized empty bottle, when it comes to feed time, snip the carton, pour into empty bottle and place in bowl of hot water until it reaches the right temperature (as required).

Added tip: We found the Perfect Prep machines* a real help at home, especially for night time feeds.

* there is some debate as to whether they serve the water to the correct temperatures etc but thats a personal choice/opinion.
    Edit to add link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1pW6XFkDmSd1S19VVCY1TK/tommee-tippee
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OP, if you do go down the carton of ready to go formula route make sure you try it at home first, it doesn't taste the same as the powdered, my daughter would not drink it,

I used to take bottles with freshly boiled water out then mix with powder when needed, but as thriftlass says, 'rules' change every 5 minutes, usually to protect the minority who get it wrong.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure