MSE News: Tesco outlaws 'wrong item' vouchers

Comments

• chocolady
    chocolady Posts: 107 Forumite
    Totally agree with Dnomyar on this. Tesco have made bumper profits in a credit crunch recession. They are quite happy to accept other supermarkets money off vouchers to increase their market share but had to back down on taking branded product vouchers because what they were doing quietly was highlighted, thats all. All this silliness about theft etc. is ridiculous its a commercial decision thats all. Some people got greedy but most people just used it to help them balance tight budgets. They have screwed farmers down on their prices and there has been plenty of publicity on this. As for their cashiers being "terrorised" what a ludicrous overdramatisation, most of the cashiers at my tesco do it themselves and are happy to take them, even asking me where I got them from!
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Besides there are plenty ways to save money grocery shopping, be savvy about deals, keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to try some of the cheaper brands if it comes to it!

I used to use the cheaper brands but both my local supermarkets - Tesco and Morrison - have drastically reduced availability of own brand food products in favour of overpriced named brands. No wonder they are still making big profits in a recession!
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    R4pture wrote: »
    Im sorry but i really diagree with that statement.
    It hard being on benefits and struggling against debt payments, having an electric meter that eats your money not affording heating now its the winter.
    I relied on coupons so I could eat. I never bought branded food I survive on the cheapest food there is including reduced price food.
    Tescos policy was a life saver and thanks to greed, I now must suffer.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I appreciate it can be difficult, but that doesn't mean people should take advantage of coupons for things they haven't bought.

Greed? On which side? I'd say it was the customers, not Tesco in this instance.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    freakyogre wrote: »

If someone is relying on vouchers to reduce their shopping bills then I suppose they need to look at what they're buying?

Really? Well perhaps actually you're the fortunate one never having been in the position where you are struggling just to buy the basics for your family. Can I suggest a wander round the DFW and redundancy boards on here - it might change your suppositions. :rolleyes:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    freakyogre wrote: »
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I appreciate it can be difficult, but that doesn't mean people should take advantage of coupons for things they haven't bought.

Greed? On which side? I'd say it was the customers, not Tesco in this instance.

I'm curious - if you see a product you buy on a regular basis on a BOGOF offer, do you just buy one and leave the free one on the shelf? If you see something reduced with 25p off, would you insist on paying the full price?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Really? Well perhaps actually you're the fortunate one never having been in the position where you are struggling just to buy the basics for your family. Can I suggest a wander round the DFW and redundancy boards on here - it might change your suppositions. :rolleyes:

Don't assume. I was made redundant in March and have still not found a 'secure' job, so I know how difficult it can be. I also live on my own so have no one else to support me.

If it got to the point where I couldn't afford to eat (which it seems to be when people are saying they are now suffering), I would look at sacrificing something else less important.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Dorato
    Dorato Posts: 371 Forumite
    I think it's fair that they've done that because it's not really right to be able to use the wrong voucher for something as it could be losing them money.
  • plimsoll
    plimsoll Posts: 153 Forumite
    I kind of accidentally broke this new policy (without realising it existed) accidentally on Tuesday. I bought 3 lots of Little Yeo yoghurts (1x4pot, 2x6pot) but accidentally gave 2x4pot &1x6pot vouchers.... still it is the same manufacturer so maybe it doesn't matter....

and since each lot of yoghurts contains 2 vouchers I do hope they change policy at least slightly before end Dec as otherwise (unless Yeo Valley run out of promotional sleeves very soon) I'll end up with loads of redundant vouchers!! (I have mostly just used them one per pack since it is a product I buy anyway, esp when on offer even without voucher as currently, but when cashiers have offered to take more & I've had loads sitting in my handbag I've taken up the offer...)
  • I'm curious - if you see a product you buy on a regular basis on a BOGOF offer, do you just buy one and leave the free one on the shelf? If you see something reduced with 25p off, would you insist on paying the full price?

That analogy doesn't make sense.

If you had a voucher for £1000 off a new Ford Fiesta, would you think you're entitled to £1000 off any new car with that voucher?
  • aldudturn wrote: »
    That analogy doesn't make sense.

If you had a voucher for £1000 off a new Ford Fiesta, would you think you're entitled to £1000 off any new car with that voucher?

If the dealer had a policy to accept it YES!
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family