We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help me identify hedge species please

2»

Comments

• chipfire
    chipfire Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    2 years is a significant amount of time!

Bear in mind this is the MoneySaving Expert forum so cheap options are offered, not necessarily the quickest!
    Looking at your site you probably need an evergreen.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I agree that evergreen may be best if you are looking for privacy, but the hornbeam you mentioned and beech both hold onto leaves well when trimmed in summer. Among those, you could plant yellow privet and a few other shrubs, like escallonia, viburnum tinus or elaeagnus ebbingei, to give a bit of variation and move you away from the blandness of an all laurel or leylandii-type hedge.

The main thing to watch out for in that situation will be schoolkids/drunks walking along the top of the wall, or sitting on it if it's by a bus stop, 'cos they never just stay on the wall!

I use Buckingham Nurseries a lot. There are plenty of other on-line suppliers too. I've always had good service and cheaper plants buying on-line. Even if you buy elsewhere, Buckingham's on-line and paper catalogue is good for ideas, including native hedging with spindle trees included!:

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The stuff's all ordered, not a conifer in sight as I hate the things and spent a couple days removing a 20ft high row of them right along this wall!

This is far too posh an area for drunks and rowdy kids! Locals drink red wine on their verandas and in their entertaining suites, and kids play tennis and rugby or play violin when they're not at school ��
  • Davesnave
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    The stuff's all ordered, not a conifer in sight as I hate the things and spent a couple days removing a 20ft high row of them right along this wall!

This is far too posh an area for drunks and rowdy kids! Locals drink red wine on their verandas and in their entertaining suites, and kids play tennis and rugby or play violin when they're not at school ��

Good, but note that no one suggested conifers.

I lived in an up-market area of Bath for over 30 years, but it was still an area which vulgar people traversed in order to reach their hovels when the pubs and clubs closed, so my hidden-away location was a great asset. You are on a through route.

Do we get to hear what you chose?
  • glasgowdan
    We've been in and out of the house for 7 weeks now, no swaggering drunks as there are simply no bars around. There's a bypass a quarter miles away that sees to most of the through traffic, it's perfect.

Went for purple beech, hornbeam, golden privet and normal privet and cotoneaster for't bees. Plus a few fruit trees to play with elsewhere ��
  • Sounds great. Good luck.

If you have any spare plants its worth potting them up as spares if (and when) a couple fail in the coming years.

Get them in quick before someone guerrilla gardeners plant pansies!
  • glasgowdan
    Yep any spares will get popped in the back in a corner rather than pots (watering = time) but I think I'll just plant everything denser rather than allow spares. The whole border is going to get topped up with 500l compost and I might fashion a perforated hose come spring
  • Davesnave
    Postscript: Somewhat ironically, I discovered one of the spindle trees I rescued from a hedge and planted in some new woodland has berried-up properly for the first time this year, and it looks really good.

It's only about 1.5m tall, so slower than the trees around, but there it has some space to do its thing.

I might even be tempted to take a few seeds.....:)
  • I was going to say Laurel - waxy evergreen yellow/green leaves. Grows to a good height without getting totally out of control.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure