PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon all, sorry I've been MIA for a while, too much RL, you know?! :D

It's far too hot for cooking here, lost my thermometer, but sure it's close to 30 Celsius, so we've been eating lots of salad and cold foods. Got some chicken that needs cooking, so we'll be dripping by tea time!

Littlies are currently watching a dvd - treated them to the Lego movie that's just come out, they're more than happy to be inside for now, much as I hate them watching tv during the day! Will let them play in the bath later, they can have fun and get clean at the same time - win/win :rotfl:

I planted what few veggies I have too late, so not expecting great things this year, but there should be a few pounds of spuds, a few peas and the dessert apples look amazing this time. I have 2 cooking apples and 6 plums, so only enough for one crumble or pie! The mint and basil are bolting in the heat, the mini corn cobs are a bit poorly, too, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Right, off to put out the washing, I know it's late, but it will be dry before tea time, and revise (:() for an exam I have tomorrow!

Will pop back soon, cooling vibes to you all!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning all :-)

FTM - glad everything arrived safely and that it was all received so well! The post can be really quick when it's behaving or interminably slow... or not arrive at all like the Mothers Day card I sent this year eeek! I love the sound of the doggy popiscle - what a great idea!

Weather seems to be excellent for you all - not sure how cold it was last night but i think it was was the coldest night of the year s far. Had to de-ice the car again this morning, and I'm sitting at my desk with thermals on and a fleece! Gloves, hat and scarf needed in the car, along with another fleece, a hoodie and a coat with 2 layers in it! That makes it sound colder than the UK in the winter - it isn't, (although it certainly is further south) we haven't had a night below freezing but we're just not geared up for cold weather here! That said, it's cold because a) the weather's good at the moment and we have no cloud cover, and driving home yesterday in the sunshine was just beautiful, the sky was bright blue and the grass is lush after all the rain we've had, and b) we have strong southerly wind blowing straight off the Antarctic at the moment brrrrrrrrr that always brings the temperature right down. Fingers crossed for my poor lime tree - they cannot stand the cold at all.

Off to the movies tonight - pre-paid so doesn't break the fiscal fast and I am not joining my friends for dinner before hand. I've got a book and I'll fill up my travel mug before I leave work. Errr on second thoughts, I won't - I don't have anywhere to stash it in the car! It's the monthly chicks at the flicks event - free drinks, dessert and a goody bag with the ticket, I wonder what goodies we'll be getting today.... :-)

Right, better get on with some work

Hoglet x
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Evening all. I'm another one who has been MIA for a week or so. The wonderful weather has meant I've spent pretty much every spare moment outside making the most of it.

The only reason I'm inside this evening is to watch the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. It seems quite surreal for everything to be happening in Glasgow. I was out and about at lunchtime today and the atmosphere was amazing. Fingers crossed the glorious sunshine holds out for another 10 days :)

Hoglet - it seems so strange to be reading your tales of cold and winter clothing when I'm looking at a beautiful red sunset!

FTM - I've also been on a washing mission over the last few weeks. I had a day off on Monday and I tackled the pillows. That was a mammoth job! My weakness is freshly washed bed linen and clean pillows are a bonus.

I hope Docky and Jack can find cool spots to relax over the coming days.

Off to turn off the sprinkler (which I'd forgotten about!)
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • Good morning,

I know it is an unearthly hour, but I couldn't sleep and Flora has been running up and down the stairs for the last half an hour. It is still so humid, so I came downstairs with her and told Himself to go back and try to sleep.

Had a lovely time last night, went out with the "girls" I used to work with to celebrate 2 birthdays. They are both 70 so a special one. Went to Bella Italia and had a lovely meal and lots of catching up. Thankfully there was a cool breeze last night and the restaurant had both doors open so it was very comfortable.

Taking DD to pick her glasses up from Boots today and she is taking her Dad for breakfast in Debenhams. I could have breakfast as well but I will already have had mine, and I don't "do" fried stuff.

FTM, I will be round to dunk my feet in the girls' pool. You sound as though you are really busy with all the produce, amd how lovely to be able to eat it during the winter.

Lyn I do so feel for Docky in this heat, they don't know what to do with themselves do they? Our old golden retriever was exactly the same and it seemed it was only the kitchen floor where he could find some relief.

Hoglet hope Alfie is OK. We are bemoaning the heat and poor you are in your thermals, it is a strange world isn't it?

Have a good day everyone

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Evening everyone..thank god its cooling down right now..my thermometer hit 32.5 this afternoon..wow it was hot..cooled off with a water pistol fight in the garden...

Candlelight..i hope you can get some decent sleep tonight hun..its supposed to be a little cooler..am so glad you had a lovely time with your friends. We have been freezing cabbages and bagging spuds like crazy..its so busy here at the moment..am making chutney and jam tomorrow whilst its a bit cooler...

Sm..hey there..o i have had all my curtains down and washed the lot..and i did the girls canopies too...its too good weather not to take advantage of it..

MLW..hey babe..i hope docky is managing to find a cool spot..Jack is currently in the kitchen doorway..fast asleep..bless him..have a lovely weekend with Ezra and momma...any more news from Nell?

Hoglet..hi..o your trip to the cinema sounds cool...free gifts ooh lucky girl..how is alfie doing ?. i was telling the girls you have got cold weather and ice at the moment//looked at me like i had gone crazy..

Cheapskate..hi babe..glad your ok..

right i have to go..hubby has made a much needed cuppa..
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • I'm babysitting as I type, he's flatters and fast asleep in the little bouncy chair I got for him,oh he's so darling, I love him soooooooooo much!!! Shhhhhhhhh!!!
  • Good morning all,

Up early again, but it doesn't feel quite so humid so far.

Have quite a busy day, popping to Mr. T early for a few bits and then DGD and boyfriend are coming for lunch. She wants to tell me all about her trip to dublin last weekend so really looking forward to that.

42 years ago today younger DD was born. I was induced at 8.a.m. and she wasn't born until 6.20.p.m. during which time the sun was blazing through the labour ward windows. It was certainly as warm as it is now in 1972.

Sara, I have made so much jam recently but it would be awful to waste the fruit, and I do intend to give some of it for gifts in little hampers at Christmas. The girls must be having a wonderful summer hols and you are not likely to hear the words "I am bored". It makes such a difference when they can be outside, and learing and having fun all at the same time.

Lyn, didn't I say it is a different kind of love you have for your grandchildren? You sound like one besotted Omar. and enjoy every moment with him. I love my 3 beyond all reason and I just hope when we have gone that they will have lovely memories of the time spent with us. Enjoy your weekend with Zebra.

Hoglet hang in there with the cold weather just think you could be melting if you were back here:) I hope Alfie has had his drain out now and is back to normal. Are you able to watch much of the Commonwealth Games over there because it seems to be a super event and Glasgow seem to have done so well hosting it?

AOL are you well and coping with the heat?

SM and Cheapskate hello hope you are both well.

Kate haven't "seen" you for a while, hope everything is OK and that you are just really busy. I think most of us post more in the winter months than we do during the summer .

Have a good weekend everyone and take care.

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

FTM and Candlelight - Alfie is doing really well, thanks so much for asking. The vet took the drain out on Friday and that was far more simple than we had expected. She had a stern word with him and told him he was far too young to be out fighting - if only I thought he would take any notice! He was allowed outside again, so we had a far more restful night last night. Alfie immediately went and stole a cat toy from somewhere - one identical to one he already has!

Candlelight - yes we've seen a bit of the Commonwelth games. We mostly see events that NZ are participating in but it's still nice to see.

We've had a really lovely day today - it was much warmer as well during the day, sunny with no wind at all, although it'll be a cool night. DH was reffing this morning and the match was really good natured and in bright sunshine. One of the boys who was taken off to hospital via ambulance from one of DH's matches a few weeks ago was back playing again today - so good to see that he wasn't badly harmed.

Then we were off to the theme park for my cousin's son's birthday. Got a good deal on a ticket for DH and I just bought a spectator ticket and got some great photos of everyone on the rides. We took water and a picnic, only bought 1 cold drink throughout the day and that was after DH had been on some particularly gruesome rides and I think he needed the sit down!

Cats are all a bit grumpy that we've been out all day but it's nice to get in and put the blower on for a bit and get warm.

Right, I'm off to read my new book

Enjoy your weekends everyone

Hoglet x
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Afternoon all..wow what a lovely day again..thankfully its much cooler.

I have taken advantage of the cooler day..i have cooked a huge beef joint and moved some furniture around in Sam's room..makes it appear bigger and also we put some shelves up..had the shelves for a while and just never got around to it..but today his room got a revamp..the girls had made him some nice canvas prints..and a collage of all things British..from some lovely trendy wallpaper samples i got..i have washed his curtains and cleaned the lampshade..his room is fab now..looks much bigger now.

I also moved the ottoman from my room to the landing and finally got a dressing table in my room..ooh its lovely..its been collecting dust in the spare room so today i changed it..also had a big clearout of old make-up and perfumes..much nicer now to have a few that i use..
    Over the week i have been removing photo's from our bedroom and re-framing them in black frames for my Family wall in the hallway..so now i have bare walls in my bedroom..but i do have lots of lovely floral wallpaper samples to go in new white frames..i have spray painted a very old and slighlty damaged chinese lady figurine..paint chipped and a few cracks..she looks amazing now..i have been spray painting frames either black or white all week...might need some more floral paper for pics though..

Candlelight..i know what you mean about making jams and chutneys..i hate throwing food away and waste is very annoying..so i make it all and look forward to enjoying it in the winter time. Happy birthday to your dd..time flies doesn't it. I don't think the girls dare say those words "i'm bored"..they have pool,playset,wendy house and the big trampoline got put up Friday...they are shatttered from bouncing ..its so much fun..i love it.

MLW..o how lovely it must be..baba ezra snoozing away..i hope you have had a lovely weekend.

Hoglet..so glad alfie is getting better..wow your day out sounds so cool...blimey the young un back playing rugby..shows how they can bounce back..enjoy your book.

Well i have been busy but have some good news and bad news..good news..i got a huge refund from electric company..woman practically begged me to have the credit on my account back..and they put my DD down..so i treated Simon to new strimmer and pond pump..

Bad news..i had an accident with my hair dye..i am now bright yellow instead of truly blonde...looks ridiculous..think it looks worse because i have got a tanned face(well am thinking its that anyway)..i have googled it and found if i use Touch of Silver on it it will tone it all down..so hubby is going to get me some tomorrow or i am not leaving the house..honestly it looks like i dipped my head in custard..that will teach me to use a different brand because it was cheaper..nevermind.

right am off to bid on some pastry forks..hope i get them this time:(..got out bid last time..
    love to you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • hoglet121
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning everyone,

Cor, Monday morning is here AGAIN!

FTM - sorry to hear about your hair dye - I'm sure you'll be able to get it fixed tho! Sounds like you've been busy with that spray paint - excellent work! And great news about the electricity bill. Good luck with the pastry forks :-)

What a fab weekend we had - after the excitement of the theme park, I went out to my cousin's yesterday to download the photos I'd taken onto her computer. And whilst we were there they found that a branch had broken on their lemon tree - would we like some lemons? YaHuh! I think we ended up with over 10 Kg of lemons. DH and I had a big preparing session yesterday, I zested them all and got that frozen and DH was working the juicing attachment on the food processor (best thing I ever bought). We got almost a kilo of zest and over 2 litres of juice. First batch of lemon curd made up yesterday (sadly cousin's chicken's aren't laying much at the moment cos I'm gonna need a lot of eggs!) and I have plans for cordial tonight. Now I'm thinking of lemon marmalade, more curd and probably freezing a fair bit of the juice for later on. I added a good splash to a G&T last night - yum!

Little bit of batch cooking achieved also - salsa soups for the week and a totally yum chicken cacciatore for tuesday night, stuffed full of my homegrown herbs. We had roast chicken legs, roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese for dinner - not the healthiest but sooooo tasty.

Another cold night last night and had to defrost the car again this morning. One of the cats spent the night snuggled up with me under the duvet - no fool him. No sign of Alf when I forst got up so I went for a quick search. Turned the garden light on just in time to see a big fluffy tabby behind disappearing over the fence, and Alf wandered in soon after. I suspect the fluffy tabby was the inflictor of the abscess....

Right, work time for me, have a lovely evening everyone :-)

Hoglet x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport