Nationwide travel insurance

Options
Re their free travel insurance for account holders -

Just had one of their (call centre) employees tell me that I don't "qualify" for one of however-many-preceding months one has to have had at least £750 put into the bank account.

I'm not trying to claim at the moment - but just in case...

I explained that I am putting comfortably more than that £750 per month in each and every month without fail - but I can see that my work pension varies as to whether it goes in last day or two of each month or first day of next month. With that - there are months sometimes where it appears I've put less than £750 income in there (even though I have and the most cursory inspection of the last couple of years of my bank accounts shows this fact clearly).

Now wondering whether they'd try get me on a technicality and say I didnt qualify for a claim on that insurance that I most certainly DO qualify for if the way my main pension payments worked out on dates looked like I'd put in less than I actually had for a qualifying month or two.

Do I have to go to the effort of getting my main pension provider to change the date of payment from end of month/beginning of next month to middle of the month to ensure this technicality couldnt possibly apply? Or would they use their commonsense and realise I certainly do qualify? in the event of my ever having to make a claim.

Has anyone else had this situation and was commonsense or a technicality used to decide whether you qualified or no (even though you did)?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not 100% sure what you are saying.....on the one hand "there are months where it appears I've put less than £750 income in there" but the say "even though I have".

Bottom line is £750 has to be credited per calander month.....do you do this?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    My State pension gets credited every week - so either 4 or 5 lots of that get paid in every month. Even on a 5 week month for that it comes to less than £750 per month.

My Civil Service pension gets paid monthly and is due to get paid in the last day of every month. But if that "last day of the month" is at a weekend - they pay the previous month's CS pension in on the first day of the next month. So the bank statement for that month will sometimes show less than £750 income paid in for that calendar month - because of whether Civil Service monthly "payday" falls during the week or at the weekend. But the Civil Service is paying that part of my pension in monthly every single month.

So every single month I am not just matching that £750 set by Nationwide - but exceeding it (as my monthly income is over £1,000 net).

Hence the CS pension would meet that "technicality" if paid in halfway through the calendar month.

Depends what one means by "month" too - does that mean 1st day of month to last day of month? Or does it mean a "bank statement month" - which goes from 25th of one month to 24th of next month (so there is certainly a payment by the CS on every single bank statement - if not every single calendar month).
  • BoGoF
    edited 12 December 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    I can't see the minimum payment criteria on the flexplus account (the one that has the insurance) but on the flexdirect it says £1000 per calender month.

I dont see this as a "technicality" - if you want the benefits of the account you need to meet the criteria. Its not Nationwides problem if your pension payment varies. Do you have other bank accounts that you could fund the account with?
    Options
    No other bank accounts.

They are getting over £1,000 paid in by my pensions on every bank statement month.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    No other bank accounts.

They are getting over £1,000 paid in by my pensions on every bank statement month.

But that's not the criteria
    Options
    Quick google later - and thanks - that clarifies, as they say "every month" and not "every calendar month".

So I am paying in over £750 "per month":D.

Sorted:D
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Not if there definition of "month" is a calender month and as they have already told you you don't qualify you really ought to get something in writing
  • ... would they use their commonsense ..... in the event of my ever having to make a claim.....

Would they? It's may be worth checking how Nationwide define "month" just in case you do need to make a claim in the future.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    With nationwide month means calendar month, so if you aren't paying in £750 in a calendar month for at least 3 consecutive months to qualify and then continue to do so to remain eligble.

If you've been notified you haven't met the criteria then currently you wont be covered, You will get advance warning they wont just look when you claim
  • BoGoF
    Options
    The telephone call would be the advance warning?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure