Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 November 2015 at 11:13AM
    Morning!

Well, some washing is out on the line already - and I really doubt it will get any drier out there. The sky is blue and beautiful, but its *so* cold! Might do a little bit out there, just to get some of the grass out of the border, but it'll need to be fast :eek:

One thing this weather does confirm - I did not have, nor have I ever had, post-shingles pain. I had a really low level infection in a tooth for years, which masqueraded as post-shingles. After that extraction earlier this year, the shingles thingy has never recurred :j:j:j

Right. Something fun. Now, please :)

ETA - oh, thinking of slightly less-fun things, yesterday I dared to look at the gloryhole next to the back door _pale_ and found two things that should never have been there for these 5 years :o a load of shells that my sister gave me to use as landscaping plus some arty resin blocks ditto for the landscaping, and a supermarket bag practically full of broken eggshells to use on top of garden mulch :o. Bigger shells and all the resin blocks now distributed into a panel of the landscaping, and eggshells scattered hither and yon, whether to discourage slugs and snails or generally improve the mineral content of the soil, I don't care :rotfl::rotfl: Am very pleased to have done it, and it took me all of five minutes :cool:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,693 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I can tell you one of my jokes out of my advent calendar if you like?

(oops, did I just admit I have a November advent calendar?! :o :rotfl: It's only because my friend came back from maternity leave at work at the start of November, and we've only got a few weeks together before I leave, so we're counting them down like a couple of children with chocolate :D :rotfl: )

Anyway - the jokes are all dreadful :D

For example (I'll colour the answers white, so you'll have to highlight to see them)

What hides in the bakery at Christmas?

A mince spy

:rotfl:

And (I'm not sure this one even counts as a joke)

What happens if you drop a snowball in a glass of water?

It gets wet

(nope, still not funny!) :rotfl:

:D

Love how your garden is coming together with regular small bits of work :j I might even get back out in mine one day! :j It's SO COLD though, you're right :eek:

Goodness, glad your infection has been sorted out. That's quite a frightening thought as I'm currently struggling with an infected tooth (or rather hole-where-tooth-was) myself :eek: Horrifying to think it could go on even longer! Glad you're feeling better now though :)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Karmacat wrote: »

One thing this weather does confirm - I did not have, nor have I ever had, post-shingles pain. I had a really low level infection in a tooth for years, which masqueraded as post-shingles. After that extraction earlier this year, the shingles thingy has never recurred :j:j:j
    Great news KC :T but chuffing annoying it took so long to identify :(.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Those are the breaks, I suppose, Gally - at least I don't look like a terrorist any more, covering my face with a scarf outside of high summer, I always felt a little bit stupid :D

Loving the jokes Cheery :)

It's still nippy here! So nippy I've brought the laptop down to the kitchen :eek: so I'm listening to the d/w, and in a moment I'll be listening to the w/m.

I actually found *more* stones I'd picked up from somewhere for landscaping :o they were in a screw top opaque plastic thing, and they've been there so long I took it out onto the patio to unscrew in case something terrible jumped out at me :rotfl: I was very happy to see what was inside :p

Okay, to do list:
    - phone call (done, actually)
    - phone session just re-instated, for this afternoon
    - cat blog
    - oh, another phone call
    - email
    - use lunchtime to do a serious facial cleanse! Thats a bit unusual for a weekday, but needs must.
    - mmm, something else.

I know - a potter around the boards :D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi KC - just caught up on the past 10(?) days - one of the best things about my occasional AWOLs is reading a batch of posts in one go, where you can really feel the mood of the thread (not always obvious when reading a couple of posts at a time) - the positivity (is that a word?!) emanating from here is immense! :D - love it!

Am also impressed by what you're achieving in the garden - I could do with spending some time in mine but it's so cooooold out there! (yep, I am a wuss! :D)

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 23 November 2015 at 12:35PM
    Sounds like a nice day in the warm, KC:coffee:. I had to go out first thing this morning and there had been a very hard frost. Took ages to scrape the car windscreens:(. Being MSE (and ecologically aware;)) we don't use chemical de-icer spray but I wish I'd had some this morning for convenience and speed.

I used to collect 'interesting' stones and small pieces of rock wherever I went on my travels when younger. Maybe I was weird but they always fascinated me. I just brought the odd few small ones from each trip (pre baggage-search days so didn't get any funny reaction at check-in). Found some lovely ones in the Alps, Pyrenees and Scandinavia. Never did anything with them, they've just languished for decades unseen and unloved:(. There's a sack of them in the shed which I nearly broke my toe on when I accidentally kicked it last year:eek:. My biggest regret was not marking them/putting some sort of sticker on them at the time to remind me of which wonderful trip I found them on.

Might follow your example and put them on the garden somewhere:j
  • Karmacat
    greent wrote: »
    Hi KC - just caught up on the past 10(?) days - one of the best things about my occasional AWOLs is reading a batch of posts in one go, where you can really feel the mood of the thread (not always obvious when reading a couple of posts at a time) - the positivity (is that a word?!) emanating from here is immense! :D - love it!
    Thank you :o:j that's really nice! Thing is, I know I'm not permanently lurgified by CFS, I'll regain my health completely once I retire, my retirement is in spitting distance, it won't be smooth sailing but I have *tons* of options, most of which are extremely attractive to me :D and even now, I'm much healthier than I was earlier this year :j:j:j
    Am also impressed by what you're achieving in the garden - I could do with spending some time in mine but it's so cooooold out there! (yep, I am a wuss! :D)

xx
    I do a max of 45 minutes at a time out there, its taking ages - I'm a wuss right alongside you :rotfl: plus I have to take frequent breaks so that worms and woodlice can ooze off out of reach of my trowel, I hate accidentally harming them, so I make double sure I safeguard any that I see :)

Though I have to tell you that nearly all the fencing down each side of the garden is completely out of reach to me, because of overgrown hedging plants or rooted brambles :eek::eek::eek: my garden isn't exactly in tip top condition :D
    Sounds like a nice day in the warm, KC:coffee:. I had to go out first thing this morning and there had been a very hard frost. Took ages to scrape the car windscreens:(. Being MSE (and ecologically aware;)) we don't use chemical de-icer spray but I wish I'd had some this morning for convenience and speed.
    I can well understand that, CBC - I'd hate to have to go out so early in such cold weather. Since I never planned my current career and just sort of fell into it, I consider myself very lucky in my travel situation.
    I used to collect 'interesting' stones and small pieces of rock wherever I went on my travels when younger. Maybe I was weird but they always fascinated me. I just brought the odd few small ones from each trip (pre baggage-search days so didn't get any funny reaction at check-in). Found some lovely ones in the Alps, Pyrenees and Scandinavia. Never did anything with them, they've just languished for decades unseen and unloved:(. There's a sack of them in the shed which I nearly broke my toe on when I accidentally kicked it last year:eek:. My biggest regret was not marking them/putting some sort of sticker on them at the time to remind me of which wonderful trip I found them on.

Might follow your example and put them on the garden somewhere:j
    I wish I knew where mine came from too! There are some red skimmers that I've picked up from Norfolk in the past few years, but thats all I can remember :o If I'd thought to write in indelible ink, or even paint, I'd have marked mine too :o I strongly advise you to get yours out onto the garden - at least you'd see them! And its a bit less in storage - that glory hole by the back door looks a lot better already :j

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Karmacat wrote: »

I can well understand that, CBC - I'd hate to have to go out so early in such cold weather. Since I never planned my current career and just sort of fell into it, I consider myself very lucky in my travel situation.

As the cold weather starts, I'm appreciating retirement even more. I'm not a morning person and it used to be hell dragging myself out of the house on cold dark mornings.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl wrote: »
    As the cold weather starts, I'm appreciating retirement even more. I'm not a morning person and it used to be hell dragging myself out of the house on cold dark mornings.

Me too, Goldiegirl:j.

It's not so much not being a morning person as I'm always up and raring to go (well as raring as I'm ever likely to get anyway:rotfl:) by 6 in the morning. It's the travelling in the dark, much of it on unlit country roads (and before anyone makes a joke, I did have my headlights on:p) both there and home again in the evening that used to get me. The beam of our outside security light doesn't reach to where I park my car and I used to hate all the windscreen scraping in pitch darkness at 7 every morning. Tried a torch but found I needed both hands free to do the windscreen clearing when it was as hard as concrete. Happy days (not);)
  • Karmacat
    Oh dear, I don't think I'd like that either! That potter-family fiance of mine used to travel a lot of country roads for his job, and he used to love to drive with his headlights off at night :eek: he said it was because everyone else had their lights on, so he could see them coming no problem. I see the logic, but he never did it when I was in the car :D

Anyway, today I have:
    - put d/w on
    - put w/m on (hardly got dry outside, now on the radiators, grrr).
    - two phone calls
    - a phone session
    - slow cooker on
    - emails
    - deep, deep cleanse at lunchtime, can't believe I managed to do that!
    - cat blog! I like this one, I focussed on the Belgian cats thing, and the Belgian police have just tweeted a pic of some cat food to thank all the cats that assisted them yesterday :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport