Log burner smells

Hi, is there a way to check joints & seals on a burner & flue. I am getting burnt wood smells in the room. "more than there should be" In the same room there are 3 detectors smoke/Co/heat & these are fine with no tripping, but i assume there must be a leak. Any suggestions for checking joints.
I need something like using soapy water on gas or a sniffer, but not sure with flues & fire seals.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 December 2017 at 11:48AM
    They usually use a smoke pellet in the heater to make sure that it isn't leaking - dunno where you get them from though.

Have a shufti on Google - here you go
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-smoke-pellets-13g-pack-of-6/75449?kpid=75449&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrOGSjuD81wIVwRbTCh2PjgvKEAQYAyABEgLh0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLm66ZPg_NcCFeilUQodysUKXQ.

other makes and sources are available.

YouTube will probably tell you how to do it as well
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I should of said i tried a pellet a wile back & all seemed ok, but i think i will try some lager pellets & see if these might show something.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sometimes the bad smell is just dust on top of the stove getting cooked. That particularly happens if the stove hasn't been used for a while.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Are you getting the smells when the fire's running or when it's cold?

If you have a chimney, particularly on an exposed outside wall that goes cold then you have have a reversal of the draft so it will basically vent the smell of the inside of the chimney back into the room.

A stove when running will normally pull air into it, rather than letting it out. If it's letting smoke out - have you had the chimney swept recently? It should be done at least once a year, and if you're burning wood at more than optimum moisture then more often. Easiest way to check for leaks is to get the stove going, then run around all the joints with a lighted candle or a joss stick. If there are leaks then the flame or smoke will be drawn towards them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure