Student Rental

Can anyone help with this? I have a daughter about to sign up to rent a student property next year with 5 of her uni friends. The agency she has registered with are asking for 2 months rent to be paid in advance which I accept. However, they want the rent for the remainder of the uni year to be paid in 3 monthly instalments and I find this odd. I expected that we would pay monthly in advance so requesting 3 payments of 3 months rent in advance seems a bit strange to me. Has anyone experienced this before or am I right to be suspicious of this arrangement?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Could be trying to tie it in with the maintenance loan payments to the students, so help with budgetting.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd say it's almost certainly what silvercar suggests, and from the agency's perspective it makes a lot of sense to do it this way as by the end of the third month there's a fair chance that one or more of the tenants will have spent their maintenance loan money for that period and wouldn't be able to pay the final month's rent on time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure