Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I remember that Kindle book :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks both! Michelle, I published it about 2.5 years ago, and did a lot of work on free promo stuff, and a very kind online friend edited it for me – I couldn't believe how necessary it turned out to be, I pride myself on my written English! I haven't carried on publicising, RL has definitely taken me away from writing. But it did about 1100 free and about 300 sold :)

There's other books I want to write!
    • I've done most of a little travel journal-with-modern-updates, about my months pootling about Greece and working as an au pair in France in the 1970s, I saw a travel book on that very thing and got inspired.
    • I want to write one about psychology, I'm basing it on a series entitled “Where there is no ...” dentist/doctor/ob-gyn person. If I ever write that, I might take it to an actual publishing house, rather than self publish.
    • a second edition of the existing one, with clearer explanations of a few things, additional chapters, and a few updates.
    • I have been thinking of a short one about practical foraging and preparation … but there are people who know so much more about that than me. So I just collect information on that for the fun of it.
    • a commercial type book on Liverpool/Merseyside, which is where I'm from – there are plenty of amazing places apart from the well-known ones. Even a “twenty great places you've never heard of” thing.
    • there are two novels that keep shouting at me – one thats quite a big saga, the other thats a smaller version, based on a young local family.
    It's a toss-up as to what gets written, apart from the travel thing, which is mostly written, and the updates, which would be comparatively easy. But my life has sort of been upside down the last few years, bringing something to the market takes quite a bit of focus. I'll get there.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    I pootled off to London to have a look at the Scythians at the British Museum - I thought it would be interesting, I didn't think it would be utterly fascinating! Makes me wonder how much else is under the ground, waiting to be found. I'd like to go again, actually, thats how good it was.

Been researching my potential new phone, the Samsung J3 - will definitely be buying it unlocked, I need to research:
    - what period of time my current contract runs for.
    - the difference between buying it and keeping my current contract, and not paying for the phone but buying a new contract. Since that would only pay for itself in about 3 years, I'm inclined to do what I first thought, pay for the handset - I want to future proof, but right now I mostly want to use it for swagbucks etc.

A big birthday weekend in the family is coming up, so I have to be ultra alert to mse stuff, but still provide a good experience - in this case, its M&S meals, not the deals, but whatever-you-want. Hope its good enough, I think it will be, I checked it out.

Right, a bit more tidying, I think :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I noticed the MSE email was talking about a sim only deal £5/mth that is unlimited mins, texts and 20gb data - almost worth running it in parallel!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Wow, SL! Thanks for that. I can't find that particular deal, or maybe thats the BT deal, but I can find plenty that would be great for me. My current deal has, ahem, 100MB of data. The £12 Carphone Warehouse would charge is 500MB of data. Oh boy. So either of the "Three" deals would be great, and so would the giffgaff sim.

I haven't renegotiated my mobile deal, just my broadband, so I'm pretty sure I'm on a 30 day contract. I'll give my notice tomorrow, see what they say.

Woo hoo! And with the easy smartphone stuff to make free money, that will be even better :) Yay to futureproofing.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Woo hoo! And with the easy smartphone stuff to make free money, that will be even better :) Yay to futureproofing.

What do you mean? I am time poor so have never looked at anything like surveys to generate any extra money, and just don't have time to blog or anything. Is this something in that sphere (in which case I might ask you for more when I retire(!)), or something else?
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Karmacat
    What do you mean? I am time poor so have never looked at anything like surveys to generate any extra money, and just don't have time to blog or anything. Is this something in that sphere (in which case I might ask you for more when I retire(!)), or something else?
    Hi SL, yes, it's surveys (very well paid surveys, my paltry little 50p yougov surveys seem like peanuts if you can join the right survey sites), but also things like playing games etc - mostly on swagbucks. Check out betterthanever's new thread - she mentions that she usually gets the bus to and from her (professional-type) job, so she does surveys then, very often. HTH

I'm making such a meal of all this because proper smartphones have really passed me by - my current phone can do all the smartphoney things, although very slowly, but the data allowance is tiny, and I haven't had the time or the health to do stuff.

I do understand about lack of time, believe me - and blogging certainly isn't a path to riches unless you hit on a good niche and spend almost as much time on it as a full time job, so thats a no-no.

But I *am* retired now, and what energy I'm recovering, I don't want to spend in running about my county doing mystery shopping, which is what I used to do. Using my smartphone while at home, and getting paid in Amazon vouchers or direct to paypal or whatever, thats fine. I'd aim for £50 a month, which would finance a couple of trips out each month.

I've just been thinking about what you said about running two sims at once - it's actually something to think about, because nobody needs to call me on the new number - and if I can get the new phone to connect to my wi-fi, I don't even need the new sim immediately. I'll definitely get that phone, and I'll check my contract out over the next few days.
  • Karmacat
    To do list:
    - send off remaining birthday cards (sent 2, 2 still to do)
    - phone friend to delay meetup next Monday, I'll be shattered from sister's birthday celebrations.
    - phone builder to wonder aloud about start date for works.
    - tidying! Am I ever going to stop tidying?
    - bank account: pay credit card, check executor cheques have been credited, prepare payouts to my sister and brother, move my share to savings account.
    - investigate current phone contract thoroughly. Erm, copy notes and contacts and whatnot from my phone - I regret to say, its not synced to my sim, which is the kind of thing I mean about mobiles passing me by :o
  • Karmacat
    edited 20 October 2017 at 3:01PM
    - send off remaining birthday cards (sent 2, 2 still to do)
    Not done them yet, but they're next, its sunny right now.

- phone friend to delay meetup next Monday, I'll be shattered from sister's birthday celebrations.
    Easiest of the lot, he was fine.

- phone builder to wonder aloud about start date for works.
    Not done yet.

- tidying! Am I ever going to stop tidying?
    No, I'm never going to stop it. Unfortunately!

- bank account: pay credit card, check executor cheques have been credited, prepare payouts to my sister and brother, move my share to savings account.
    Credit card paid, executor cheques credited, my share plus another wodge of the big one plus my energy cashback, all moved to savings account.

- investigate current phone contract thoroughly. Erm, copy notes and contacts and whatnot from my phone - I regret to say, its not synced to my sim, which is the kind of thing I mean about mobiles passing me by :o
    Contract investigated, yay. I last logged on 2.5 years ago :o:o:o they want me to phone to discuss plans, so stuff them :D I'll go with the ones that Suffolk Lass pointed me towards. They don't deserve me :D
    Got to work on copying notes and contacts etc.
    NB GO TO THE CURRENT NEWSLETTER FOR THE LINKIE TO MSE-BLAGGED DEAL. GET NEW PHONE TOMORROW. HURRAY!
    Save
  • I think there is a cable you can use between your phone and your laptop to synch them, or you can store them in your google account if you have one. I think it might be a store them choice in your phone settings.

I have a Son that does it for me so I'm not an expert but I also think if you buy a handset, the shop can transfer them all for you. From memory, if you save everything to the Sim, it separates out all the numbers for a person into separate entries.

I think I changed mine to save people in google for the above reason, so that now my email account has all the contact names, addresses (where added), email and tel numbers on all the devices that I use for email. I have not done a proper audit and I really need to. Good nudge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport