Time for a new laptop

Options
After 6 years my i3 acer laptop is reaching the end of is useful life.
It started to overheat if it does anything too taxing and turns off. I've stripped it down to clean out the fan and the main board but it was pretty clean in there so didn't make a difference.

I want to future proffer my next purchase as much as possible so have a few must haves

Hdmi
USB 3
Usb type c
Number pad
SSD

This seems to tick every box but it would be nice to have a full HD screen

https://m.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-320-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-inch/platinum-grey/p3288129

£500 is my max budget

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Comments

• Debbie_Savard
    Options
    IMHO an i3 CPU is already past it's sell-by date unless you're doing very light work on the laptop.
  • boundy
    boundy Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    IMHO an i3 CPU is already past it's sell-by date unless you're doing very light work on the laptop.

Let me know if you can come up with an i5 under my budget
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boundy wrote: »
    It started to overheat if it does anything too taxing and turns off. I've stripped it down to clean out the fan and the main board but it was pretty clean in there so didn't make a difference.

Did you clean out the gap between the fan and the heatsink and the heatsink itself where the fins are? That is what gets clogged up.

If they were OK then it suggests that something is causing the CPU to run at 100% and this could be faulty software or a virus or other malware.

Personally I'd back up my important data, get a Windows install disc and do a clean installation. Despite what others say, a Core i3 is far more than capable for everyday stuff. Even a Core 2 Duo with a SSD drive is.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I want to future proffer my next purchase as much as possible so have a few must haves

Hdmi
    USB 3
    Usb type c
    Number pad
    SSD

This seems to tick every box but it would be nice to have a full HD screen

https://m.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-320-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-14-inch/platinum-grey/p3288129

£500 is my max budget

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Your mentioned laptop does HD@720. I.e. not 1080 though not a massive difference for a home user.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • boundy
    boundy Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Did you clean out the gap between the fan and the heatsink and the heatsink itself where the fins are? That is what gets clogged up.

If they were OK then it suggests that something is causing the CPU to run at 100% and this could be faulty software or a virus or other malware.

Personally I'd back up my important data, get a Windows install disc and do a clean installation. Despite what others say, a Core i3 is far more than capable for everyday stuff. Even a Core 2 Duo with a SSD drive is.

I carried out a full strip down and clean of the internals, I've also done a complete fress install of win 10. It's running fine to be fair but it's no spring chicken compared to newer machines. I tried to edit some videos from my helmet camera (720p, 60fps) and it really choked.

I've just got a new work laptop that blows my old tech out the water, it's got an i7-7600u, it a shame I can't use it for personal use.

Biggest issue with my old laptop was lack of Hdmi and lack of USB3, the battery is also on its way out, it can manage about 1.5 hours now.

I've now placed an order for 1 of these, seems to tick all the boxes,
    https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X556UB-DM262T-ASUS-X556UB-DM262T_1966546.html
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I carried out a full strip down and clean of the internals, I've also done a complete fress install of win 10. It's running fine to be fair but it's no spring chicken compared to newer machines. I tried to edit some videos from my helmet camera (720p, 60fps) and it really choked.

I've just got a new work laptop that blows my old tech out the water, it's got an i7-7600u, it a shame I can't use it for personal use.

Biggest issue with my old laptop was lack of Hdmi and lack of USB3, the battery is also on its way out, it can manage about 1.5 hours now.

I've now placed an order for 1 of these, seems to tick all the boxes,
    https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X556UB-DM262T-ASUS-X556UB-DM262T_1966546.html
    Asus have excellent support.
    And you got your full HD screen+nvidia gpu.
    Enjoy your chosen laptop!
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must aggree with one comment about cleaning and the backup the fresh install and start again that's what I did made a great difference I then changed the Hdd with a ssd.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport