PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to give vegan at foodbank?

Options

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    We may all have our opinions about how reasonable it is to be vegan, especially if asking for help at a food bank.
    However, the workers at a food bank must be respectful and do their best to accommodate people who have ethical or religious objections to eating certain foods.
    Depending on the policy of the foodbank, they may have to say 'This is what we have, you must make your choice from these items'. I think it reasonable to ask why they don't eat rice, as their reply may help (do they know how to cook it? )
    The Vegetarian Society have information on vegan foods. I know that most baked beans are vegan - always a good bet. Any pulses will be nutritious. Oats can be made up with water.
    Do you have contact with a dietician? Most foodbanks do, and they can help you draw up a vegan list.
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    You say that, but I would rather die than eat meat.

That's my point - your convictions are obviously serious, but not everyone's are apparently.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm digressing slightly but when i was a kid growing up in the seventies in one of those broken homes,we often relied on charity. At Christmas the parish priest brought us a food parcel. It contained some of that stuff that all the school children are asked to bring in to "feed the poor". We were very grateful for it and it didnt cross our minds to see whether we liked it all or not. In hose days ,and certainly where i lived, there were no special dietry requirements. The imperative was to have something to eat and some form of fuel to burn on the fire to save us all from freezing in winter.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • I'd give them a new fiver and tell them to buy their own lot!
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they are in need of a foodbank then rice is something they will need to accept and learn to tolerate.
    When I had to use one briefly a couple of years ago did I like everything? No, but it was food and was so grateful.

Vegetable soups should be fine, I'd say baked beans & tinned pasta but not if they're allergic to tomatoes.

Dry pasta, with some sauces.. again these are usually tomato based but perhaps a green pesto etc.

Depending on who referred them to you, they could be eligible for some supermarket vouchers so they can pick up fresh fruit & veg.. but tinned versions of these will be fine (I assume you get a lot of these?)

Learning to cook from scratch is another thing that they just have to deal with if they're in a position of needing a foodbank, so perhaps some friendly tips?

I'd say if you have any doubts just ask but as long as it doesn't list meat or dairy you'll usually be ok. Might be worth seeing if they'd be willing to eat fish as I know tinned sardines are a regularly donated item.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 December 2016 at 12:42AM
    Options
    A lot of religions are vegan. So I am sure other food banks will have also catered for them. As it is so much more economical not to provide meat, it follows that more people can be fed for less money.

I would suggest that you provide some tins of mixed beans and lentils. Perhaps some raw nuts. Tins and jars of vegetables.

Not sure if some Stagg (brand name) are also vegan.

Here's a suggested cheap meal plan for a vegan, that may help.

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/vegan-budget

I am sure Jack Monroe has some good vegan recipes.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP probably isn't interested in people's opinions about veganism, it was just a simple question.

In answer to which, yes nearly all mainstream bread is vegan, but just to be on the safe side get bread where ingredients are listed. I've neve encountered a supermarket sliced loaf that isn't vegan.

Lots of biscuits are vegan. Labels will often state something like "may contain milk" (or some other non-vegan substance). This means the food's been poduced using equipment also used for non-vegan items, but it'll be cleaned between different production runs, so most (admittedly not all) vegans find this OK.

Example for biscuits (usually applies to main brands plus supemarket own brand equivalents:)

Ginger Nuts
    Chocolate Bourbons
    Hobnobs incl Chocolate Chip hobnobs
    Rich Tea
    Fruit Shortcake

None of them will say "vegan", they're "accidentally vegan" i.e. just happen to be, though not particularly aimed at that market.

Biscuits that aren't vegan:

Custard Creams
    Chocolate Digestives (even the plain choc ones - milk is used in the chocolate)

Many tinned and packet soups are vegan, though I suppose many will also contain tomato. Lentil would probably be OK.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    I don't usually comment on political topics, but I find it appalling that statements such as I,d rather die than eat meat a very first world idealism and in very poor taste, when there are people literally starving to death, in what was a very metropolitan city (Aleppo) right at this very moment. And many other areas of the world.
    I'm not trivialising anything. Meat is murder and I want no part of it: this is for me a fixed belief and not an "ideal". But then I wouldn't be knocking on the door of a food bank, either.

Don't preach to me about Aleppo. Have you even been there? (I have).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    The amount of disrespect shown here for people who through no fault of their own have been driven to need to use a food bank appalls me.

Sanctions, where a person's JSA is stopped, are increasing and JSA staff have targets to reach of numbers of people sanctioned. Here are a few examples of the ludicrous reasons that people have had their money stopped:

You’re a 60-year-old army veteran who volunteers to sell poppies for the Royal British Legion in memory of fallen comrades. You’ve applied for dozens of jobs – including the supermarket where you sold the poppies – but without success. You are sanctioned for four weeks.

Source: Daily Mirror

Your gran dies during the night. The next morning your partner calls the job centre and asks if you can come in the following day instead. The centre agrees, and you sign in the next day. Then you get a letter stating that you failed to sign in and would be sanctioned if you don’t reply within seven days. You reply, explaining the situation. The job centre gives you a six-week sanction for not replying.

Source: Mari-claire M at Netmums

You get a job interview. It’s at the same time as your job centre appointment, so you reschedule the job centre. You attend your rearranged appointment and then get a letter saying your benefits will be stopped because going to a job interview isn’t a good enough reason to miss an appointment.

Source: Daily Mail

You’ve signed in on time, been to interviews and applied for work. Your job centre advisor suggests you make a two-line change to your CV, which you do, but fail to give the updated CV to the job centre (you weren’t told you had to). You are sanctioned for four weeks.

Source: nciaw36 at MoneySavingExpert

You work for 20 years and then miss a job centre appointment because you haven’t had the process clearly explained. You are sanctioned for 3 weeks.

Source: Councillor John O’Shea

You get a job that starts in two weeks time. You don’t look for work while you are waiting for the job to start. You’re sanctioned.

Source: The Guardian

You are forced to retire due to a heart condition, and you claim Employment and Support Allowance. During your assessment you have a heart attack. You are sanctioned for not completing your assessment.

Source: Debbie Abrahams MP

It’s Christmas Day and you don’t fill in your job search evidence form to show that you’ve looked for all the new jobs that are advertised on Christmas Day. You are sanctioned. Merry Christmas.

Source: Poverty Alliance

So, are posters here saying that people who are in need of food banks are not allowed to have principles? What sort of society do we live in that hungry people are looked down on?

A friend of mine who is vegan from principle but also very allergic to milk and has coeliac disease (as well as a lot of other severe and painful chronic conditions) needed to use a food bank for her daughter and herself when her daughter when her daughter who has schizophrenia turned 18 and needed to make an adult claim. It did not go well. I don't remember the ins and outs of it but my severely ill friend was having to go to and from MH services, DWP offices whilst dealing with her daughter who was particularly unwell at the time. Also having to use a food bank for a while.

Are you people saying that in all her troubles she should not have been able to stick to her principles?

After hearing of her experiences, I now always put dairy alternatives in the food bank collections and some GF products.

OP, thank you for what you are doing in your food bank and your concern for this client. As others have said, tins of pulses and baked beans are good, many biscuits are 'accidentally vegan' and I'm sure your client could tell you which of the ones you have in stock would be suitable. Bread is mostly OK but some people avoid L-Cysteine which can come from feathers but in food is mainly sourced from human hair. The various varieties of heinz beans, the tagine and BBQ ones for example are good. Some instant flavoured couscouses are OK but check for whey or milk.

"Food banks aren’t part of the welfare state – they are an indication that our welfare state is failing" (Mhairi Black)
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 December 2016 at 1:52AM
    Options
    I Googled to find out what's the healthiest canned food for vegans.
    Alongside all sort of pulses the next best are olives (expensive) and tinned pineapple.

If they'd make porage themselves that would be good but I believe many of the Oats so Simple packs are vegan as are many other cereals.

I'm trying to be helpful but if they CBA to cook from scratch (when they could eat very well on porage and vegetable soups, chilli and curry) it's hard to be sympathetic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure