Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Comments

• Treder
    Treder Posts: 15 Forumite
    Then I don't mind giving them my P45 if they want evidence I was made redundant. If legal references can be found to this evidence in 30 days then great. I won't really do battle but I will refuse to provide such information until I have done some more research. Thanks all for continued advice. All is appreciated.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    dookar wrote: »
    In order for your claim to be valid, you must present all requested evidence requirements within 30 days of the date on which you notified your intention to claim.

You have been requested to provide your bank statements, should you not then the claim will be defective.
    The claim will not be defective in the slightest. The JSA(C) ER's do not include evidence of savings.
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    terryw wrote: »
    The OP is claiming JSA CONTRIBUTION BASED. His savings have nothing to do with this at all and he is under no obligation whatsoever either legally or morally to provide this detail.

The fact that he has been asked to provide evidence of capital suggests otherwise. It would suggest that a claim to JSA in its entirety has been made - wether that was the OP's intention or not.
    terryw wrote: »
    OP....I feel that you have been misinformed by a badly-trained or new member of staff. If you have problems here (which I doubt) merely ask for a supervisor or a manger to explain your point and correct this situation.

If the means tested element has been claimed then there's little a manager can do.

I'm thinking reg 5 of the claims and payment regs may help the OP, but I'll need to go have a search
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • NASA_2
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I am interested in why someone would be so adamant on not showing their bank statements - something to hide? Irrespective of why/ whether they are needed or not, is it such a big deal to show them?
    Point of principle I would imagine, plus, the civil service are not meant to hold onto information which is not relevant to a claim and bank statements are not relevant to a JSA(C) claim.

Even if the OP shows that he has £50k in the bank there is no point in DWP taking the information when the relevant dialogue will not be 'open' for them to enter the information into.
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    healy wrote: »
    We have had this query before.

Terry and ESA are correct.

If you are just claiming contribution based JSA you do not need to provide details of your savings.

I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
  • NASA_2
    dookar wrote: »
    I agree with you (and terry and ESA) but it doesn't sound like only JSA(c) has been claimed.
    The OP seems to be under the impression that that is all he has claimed.

It is his right to be able to claim JSA(C) only and he need only comply with the ER's that are relevant to that part of the benefit.
  • Treder
    Treder Posts: 15 Forumite
    sorry but just getting to grips with "OP". Understand now. Think it's me.
    I have nothing to hide. It is a point of principle. Why must I provide more information that is absolutely necessary. I will go tomorrow and see what they say and then update you all. Thanks kindly for your advice.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »

What if they asked for your medical records? Would you happily hand them over even though they are completely irrelevent? I don't have a penny to my name but if I was in this situation, I wouldn't want to give them my bank statements either, they are private and most people don't go handing stuff out like that willy nilly.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family