The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Full List of Student NUS Discounts

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm a student. Must get my card... looks like I'll make back more than the card costs JUST buying stuff I would have bought even without it.
  • Fruity1
    Fruity1 Posts: 926
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just started a post grad course. Do I have to get a NUS card to get discounts or will retailers accept my Uni membership card? Sorry if this seems a dozy question but it is several years since I was last a student.
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    The NUS make me angry. :mad:

How do they get away with bringing in this extra card just over a year ago.

Before that we used to get a NUS card free through the uni, just for being a student at a university that paid the annual fees to NUS etc. Now how do they get away with suddenly charging us this extra £10 to get discounts. If shops are going to offer student discount they should offer it to all students, just presenting uni id should be enough.

This £10 is just extra money making for NUS, and is VERY cheeky. Don't we pay enough money as it is in tuition fees and alike in order to get the extra discount privelages that should come with being a poor student.

We've turned around unnecessary bank charges on this site. How about turning this charge around to! :money:
    Emma xx

You will find it is because of the people who pick up the packs and sell them on Ebay. It's a security measure.
    NUS cards were being sold for £30/£40 on Ebay so they have done this to stop the practise as many stores were going to withdraw the discounts completely.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • bellola
    bellola Posts: 840
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I think the £10 charge is nothing, you soon make it back. I got my card a week ago and have already used it in Republic buying jeans at £30 with a special 20% discount, saving of £6, New Look spending £38 saving £3.80 and Miss Selfridge spending £10, saving £1. Therefore I have already made my money back and I now need to order some books which I will get from Amazon and use my discount.
  • amz84uk
    amz84uk Posts: 227
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I sent off for an NUS Card with the relevant information last month, and haven't yet received anything from them. I called NUS yesterday and they told me that they haven't received anything, and to re-apply.

Another 28days I'll waste off my NUS discount period....! Don't understand why it takes them up to 28 days to process an application. Should be done within 7 days.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It can be done online :)

I got mine free with my student account at Lloyds. It was all done via NUSextra's website and I had it within 4 days.
  • amz84uk
    amz84uk Posts: 227
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am studying towards CIMA, so can I order it online aswell? Don't think I can. CIMA provided me with the NUS Card application form, and sent off a cheque for £10.
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    Fruity1 wrote: »
    I've just started a post grad course. Do I have to get a NUS card to get discounts or will retailers accept my Uni membership card? Sorry if this seems a dozy question but it is several years since I was last a student.

Most should accept your uni card, except the ones which are actually NUS only (Just Amazon's 5%?).

This is certainly the situation up in Glasgow, which isn't NUS affiliated, but I still get student discounts all the time.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've not got round to getting photos for it yet.
    Keep forgetting.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Its getting annoying now all these places which make you signup for another card just to get the student discount. I have the NUS extra card and thought that would be all I need but HMV, Virgin, Matalan and Waterstones all made me signup for there own card which I need to show along with the NUS extra card. My wallets bursting with all these different cards now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure