How to steam a christmas pudding

Options
My friend always makes me a pudding that I naughtily heat up in the microwave on Boxing Day (I feed my family a shop bought one and save the best til Boxing Day all for me me me:T :T !!)

I have decided that I will cook it properly this year and treat my family to a taste of the good stuff - only I dont know how to.

I cant ask my friend otherwise she'll know I've always nuked it:rolleyes: !

Its quite a large Christmas Pudding (which is why I will share it this year - there will still be loads left over on Boxing Day!) and its in a plastic pudding basin.

Any advice please?!

Comments

• PetuliaGristle
    Options
    Merry Xmas TraceyB!

Here's a link to Delias Xmas pudding in a 2pt basin with timings - 8 hours if uncooked or 2.25 hours if your friend has cooked the pud and you're just reheating it http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/traditional-christmas-pudding,1234,RC.html. If you have a large enough slow cooker just stick it in there with some water first thing and leave it to steam all day! Always keep an eye on the water level and top up with boiling water if necessary.

Hope this helps!
    "We have to be kind because everyone is fighting a great, great battle" - Sir Richard Attenborough
    "There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women" - Madeleine Albright
  • Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just nuke it it's nuch easier, relaxing and doesn't taste any different!!!
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I'm steaming mine in a steamer pan. It looks like a saucepan with holes all over the base, you sit over a same-sized saucepan of simmering water for 2 hours.

I don't think microwaving it is a bad thing though ;)
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The pudding is already cooked.

It was steamed in the old days because that was the only safe way you could warm them up.

We cut ours into whatever size portions are required and given one or two Min's in the microwave.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I've steamed christmas pudding for years but since I microwaved one I've never steamed one again. It really tastes the same and you'll have enough to do without nursing one in case you burn the pot.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• TraceyB_2
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses - I was convinced that it would taste even better if it had been steamed - so after all that - I nuked it!

Thanks anyway - have literally just finished the last of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure