I have just...

Comments

• GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    Would love to try that, but can't get an interest free card. Don't really know why though. Been going through my credit report with fine tooth comb, found a few errors (i.e only got me listed at my current address for one year instead of 10 years, and an old CC that had been settled years ago but not marked settled at CRA). I did try applying for a few interest free cards so think this may be the problem. Are there any companies out there that are not really strict with their lending criteria that I could try?
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done you :T

Cutting up your CCs is a fantastic step towards debt freedom.

No more paying companies thousands for borrowing hundreds.
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well done! cutting the cards up is a great feeling!
    November NSD's - 7
  • Joek_2
    Joek_2 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Bravo!
    I did it last week - brilliant. It's so dumb that it's got to this point where I have suddenly found out how to actually be sensible with money.

But it is a good, good feeling. I can't use them anymore (and because they were all maxxed out anyway, I couldn't even use them online!), and that's got to be a good thing.
    Chuffed to be member 11 on the DMP mutual support thread.

Unanimously voted 'Quotation King' by members of the club. Woo-Hoo:D

Lost my 2 star virginity to smilealot and teecee. And no other two could have been better!
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Ahh brilliant.

Loved chopping up my cards too and I haven't regretted it for minute since doing it (last November). When you pay off the final amount on the balance you'll feel great.

As for therapy...well...I'm sure you are a bright person, you can get your imagination working to find other things to do rather than the National Hobby of shopping ;):D.

Well done again.
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • sammiboo
    sammiboo Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    GirlRacer wrote:
    I did try applying for a few interest free cards so think this may be the problem. Are there any companies out there that are not really strict with their lending criteria that I could try?

Have you tried the virgin card, applying on line. i think their offer runs out sometime this month? Its a good way to get your debt down if you can trust yourself to use it in the right way. its also nice know if you pay off a £100 you are paying off £100 not give them £100 and you are really paying off £70 and £30 is just interest.
    March 2006 £15,200+ in debt April £843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - £843.64 5.7%
  • omg_3
    omg_3 Posts: 101 Forumite
    I cut ALL of my cc cards up 32 months ago. Best move i have done on the road to clearing my debt. I just use my debit card from my current account.
  • IainBUK
    IainBUK Posts: 65 Forumite
    Lilboo

good for you girl -- one less headache to worry about!!

--

Best thing to do when you want to stop yourself using your credit card people

stick it in a bowl of water, put the bowl in the freezer and if you want to use it you will have to wait for it to thaw out :D
  • GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    IainBUK wrote:
    Lilboo

good for you girl -- one less headache to worry about!!

--

Best thing to do when you want to stop yourself using your credit card people

stick it in a bowl of water, put the bowl in the freezer and if you want to use it you will have to wait for it to thaw out :D

I done this a few weeks ago. However got home from work the following day only to find another card from Halifax, apparently the one I froze was due to expire!!! Had to defrost them all and re-freeze them with the new Halifax card:rotfl:
  • bigfella18
    bigfella18 Posts: 11 Forumite
    well done you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills