Others parking in numbered spaces, how to stop them

lisa110rry
lisa110rry Posts: 1,794
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
Forumite
To set the scene, we have eleven numbered spaces in the car park of the office park. These spaces are for the use of our unit. However, the building is up for sale (we are tenants). All sorts of people take these spaces (there is an NHS office nearby which hasn't enough spaces). At first I put a note on the windscreen, to no effect. Here is what I'm thinking of doing...

I'm contemplating printing a "please do not park here, we pay for these spaces" note on labels and placing one on the windscreen of the offending vehicles. The labels are about 4x6 inches and are white.

Am I committing an offence by doing this?
“And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
― Julian of Norwich
In other words, Don't Panic!

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As you say, you are tenants, it's not for you to "police" who uses which parking spaces. If you are indeed paying for these spaces and are unable to use them then you should inform the landowner and leave them to deal with it.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ask the landlord if you can install a "parking post" in your space.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    All eleven of them? I just want our people to have a space to park in when they arrive for meetings.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    Forumite
    Are you able to double park and block in the offenders? Obviously, let them out as if they are from your own office (we do it all the time).

Realistically, the only way to prevent people parking there is a physical barrier. Be it a chain or a post, or by making parking there as inconvenient as possible for people who shouldn't be there.

If you bring in a parking firm, prepare to have to argue with them on at least a weekly basis to cancel a ticket they shouldn't have issued.
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    Thanks Herzlos, parking them in is what I do in autumn and winter when driving my 4wd, but in spring and summer, my SLK doesn't make much of an impact... Also, there's a lot of coming and going in my firm as it's a hot desking office, so it's hard to inconvenience the rude people who use our car park.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    Block them in, when they ask to move the car just say OK and then come back and say they are in a meeting and will move the car as soon as they get a moment.

Even if its your car, after an hour or two just use the excuse they are still in a meeting but have now given you the keys.

Annoy them enough and they wont park there anymore.

If you stick stuff on their cars expect a bill for criminal damage.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    All eleven of them? I just want our people to have a space to park in when they arrive for meetings.

Unfortunately physical deterants are the only thing that is guaranteed to work.
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    Block them in, when they ask to move the car just say OK and then come back and say they are in a meeting and will move the car as soon as they get a moment.

Even if its your car, after an hour or two just use the excuse they are still in a meeting but have now given you the keys.

Annoy them enough and they wont park there anymore.

If you stick stuff on their cars expect a bill for criminal damage.

Thanks bigjl, I note your comments.

And forgotmyname, really? Criminal damage for a label on the windscreen?
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    Just to clarify - you are one of a number of tenants in a shared building. Your tenancy/licence on your space entitles you to spaces, as available, rather than any specific numbered spaces?

If that's the case, then it's not down to you to police the spaces AT ALL. It's down to the building management. You could put a sign on somebody's windscreen saying "We pay for these spaces", but it wouldn't be accurate - you don't.

If you have specific allocated spaces, then presumably all other spaces are allocated to other tenants? You could ask the management about installing some kind of physical access control on your spaces, but it would be your cost, unless they agreed to control the parking generally.

Short of physically preventing unauthorised use of the car park at all (and that's only as good as the last person remembering to shut the barrier) - and will, obviously, be a cost that the building management need to pass on to the tenants - the only other option available is to hire a parking management firm to invoice unauthorised vehicles.

It's illegal to tow or clamp a car parked on private land without authorisation. Anything stuck to the windscreen with any kind of non-trivial adhesive would be criminal damage. Blocking somebody in to a space is criminal obstruction, whether they should be there or not.

Some around these forums seem to think any kind of restriction or enforcement on parking on private land is utterly terrible, and it should all be fair game.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And forgotmyname, really? Criminal damage for a label on the windscreen?

Even if the label can be removed fairly easily, the simple act of sticking it onto the glass could class as damage.
    Putting it under the wiper should be okay but not attaching it to the windscreen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure