IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Worst Parking Fine By Dacorum Council

Options
madfrank
madfrank Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 30 June 2016 at 5:58PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all I would really appreciate your help here.

This has got to be one of the most unfair parking fines I have ever received.

I pulled in to this lay-by or road Home Park Mill Link Road, Kings Langley

My car was there over night and I received two parking fines both for 01 offence
parked in a restricted street in proscribed hours so the council booked me for
being on a double yellow lines even though I was in the cutting/lay-by on the side of the road.
there was no yellow lines or signs in the lay-by at all and my car was not parked on a double yellow line.

This lay-by has even been in the press as a honey trap, how can the motorist know
if they can or cant park there when there is no signs and no lines there in the road.

I called the parking office today at the council to be told I should read my highway code as it states that a double yellow line covers the foot path and beyond.
the council also stated that Home Park Mill Link Road is a part of that lay-by so therefore I was parked on a double yellow line... is it me or am I missing something here.

All the best

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.

You might also like to read this article which contains links to a DIY robot to appeal council tickets. How effective it is has been questioned - take a look and make your own mind up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/joshua-browder-saves-motorists-2-million-with-parking-appeal-website-2015-12

HTH
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,034 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If that's the place certainly not a layby, it looks like a rough slip road to a private bridge to the building on the other side of the river, maybe it was once the road to the original mill.

You would need to know the ownership of that piece of land.
  • madfrank
    madfrank Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 30 June 2016 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and I will post it on the other website.

Yes 100% that's the location thank you for posting it I was unable to as a new account to this forum,

The lay-by is in worse repair now than the Street View photo taken in 2012
    the council have not maintained it at all, and if they don't want people to park there
    why not yellow line it.

The parking Office told me on the phone that it was so that ambulances could get onto the canal,
    the way she was talking was like the place was a hive of activity with ambulances coming and going to all of these unwell people on the canal.

The lady then got all confused on the telephone saying it was a Verge then a Road and then an Emergency access Road that has no signs on it to inform you it is.
    But she was still insisting that it was classed as part of the main road.

I agree it looks like private land to me I called the Highways Department, They said they did not know. its unreal situation I could understand it if I was on the DYL
    but I must have been 30 meters away. :rotfl:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    NEVER phone about any parking charge or penalty. NEVER try to discuss either Counil ones or private ones over the telephone, it leaves you no further on in the process and with no paper trail of what was said (or not said). People have missed appeal deadlines before now, by thinking a phone call was 'an appeal' and relying upon a conversation and dropping the ball on the strict, mandatory paper/online process.

Post on pepipoo form, they can assist with more experts on Council PCNs than we have here. Most people who post there win in the end.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's obviously a notorious honey trap from the newspaper reports. Here's a report of a motorist ticketed last October where the charge was revoked by the council as a ‘good will gesture’.

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/more-news/motorist-accuses-council-of-using-layby-as-a-money-making-honey-trap-1-7039773#ixzz4D8w7yXSw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure