PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• alizee
    alizee Posts: 310 Forumite
    Our House buying timeline

21/06 Initial mortgage meeting
    22/06 AIP offered by Santander
    03/07 Solicitors appointed
    14/07 mortgage application submitted
    19/07 mortgage offer issued
    20/07 survey arranged
    21/07 survey completed
    25/07 letter from Santander confirming details of survey
    27/07 documents from sellers received and collated by solicitor
    31/07 local search submitted
    11/08 local search results
    15/08 documents signed by us - pushed for completion date on 21/08
    17/08 confirmation received from solicitors that seller is signing paperwork on 18/08 and has agreed to exchange and complete on 21/08

Just a bit of background - we are buying from my parents' neighbours so the house isn't on the market and all the negotiations were done privately. The house is also empty hence my impatience! I really hope we can exchange and complete Monday!!
  • Argh, it has been 8 weeks since the memo of sale was sent to my solicitor. The vendor hasn't got the paperwork to her (useless) conveyancers yet, so they won't even respond to my solicitor.

The estate agent is being brilliant, but there's only so much they can do when vendor won't reply to emails or answer the phone!

EA spoke to vendor the other day (rang her before work) and confirmed she still wants to sell, as I'd been having doubts. She does, and so he told her to get her finger out as I'd been viewing other properties. I have, but can't find one I like as much as this house.

I don't know what else I can do - I don't have her address (house was rented out for ages & is empty) & her conveyancers are about 100 miles away.

Going slowly mad!!
    Mortgage offer expires December, I should perhaps lie and tell EA to pass on message it exires September...

Meanwhile my sale seems to be progressing fine. I;ve sent off TR1 and contract.
  • toc25
    toc25 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Your estate agent is probably in touch with your solicitor (mine is) so if you lie and say your mortgage offer expires in September they might find out you are lying.

Best thing for you to do is keep looking out for something else while your vendor gets their act together I guess.

Its annoying when things don't move at a rate you are happy with. I'm 14 weeks in and we haven't even exchanges contracts yet. Even if we do it is still going to be weeks until we complete because the top of the chain is waiting for a new build to complete. Very frustrating.
  • Lu_equi
    Lu_equi Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 11:32AM
    Well we gave a deadline and advised we would be viewing other places now as it has dragged on from March and we had agreed this as a term with our Offer that AUGUST for exchange etc .

The seller called us not long after that was relayed to his solicitor and him directly through the EA & our solicitor advising us that
    1) we would have enquiries answered today and back to our solicitor. .... (we will see)
    2) He goes on holiday sunday (this country) on his return Saturday he will be moving all his things out to his new place .
    AND.....
    3) If we was stuck for somewhere to live we could move in before exchange and just pay him the mortgage amount he would be paying ... (I think not ....:rotfl:)

I am hoping all enquiries are back today and answered fully they were only basic things! such as warranties etc .

I Will be chasing shortly !.... :)

**Update ** Solicitors have been on phone to each other this morning a few times and arranging paperwork to be sent over ....

x
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just completed! Can't believe it's actually here!

Will post full timeline later.
  • User1312
    User1312 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Getting really frustrated with our sellers and their solicitor. We've been ready to exchange for a month and today was our 'latest' deadline - we're into week 12 of a no-chain empty property!!

First delay was due to probate not having been granted even though we were told it had before we'd even offered, that finally came through last week so we were on track to exchange this week.

Two more things are outstanding which has stopped us exchanging today:

- Restriction on deed which our solicitor has requested an undertaking for. 4 weeks ago, their solciitor said "I will forward you the undertakings" - and nothing about it since!!

- Plumbing issue. When we viewed the property after putting our offer in, we flushed the toilets and there was a horrible very loud noise which went on for a good 20mins and caused the floors to shake! EA was there and said, I'll speak to the vendor to get that fixed before exchange. We were then told it's been sorted now. Went to view the property again this week for a final look pre-exchange and flushed the toilets - the noise was still there!! I had a right go at the EA and she said 'well he did tell me it was fixed!". Paid for a plumber to come out and quote for the fix, then got the solicitors involved and have requested an allowance of £300 to be held back at completion for us to do the works that they'd said they'd fixed. Now apparently they don't think it will cost that much. Surely for the sake of £300 they won't risk the sale! They've had 3 months to get the work done, said they HAD got it done, and now arguing that they can get it done for less!?

Apparently they want to be rid of the place too, so you'd think they'd just hurry up. Also their solicitor takes 4 days to respond to one email.

We're going to wait until Monday then issue a final deadline before pulling out!
  • Hi All,

I've been reading this thread for a while now with intrigue, and following all your stories. Just wanted to see what other people were going through. Well, finally we exchanged contracts this morning!!!!

It's been 16 weeks since we made our offer and had it accepted. Off for a big pint.
  • Well when we started the process (FTB) the current owners wanted to exchange on 8th September (they are moving for schools for their children) but the chain isn't complete yet, we're now up to 5 people in the chain and the EA are asking for the top to break the chain as they want a bungalow so no idea how long that will take :eek:

Frustrating as we want to move in and just have a house we can call our own home, and silly things like being able to put pictures up and buy a dining table.
  • alizee
    alizee Posts: 310 Forumite
    alizee wrote: »
    Our House buying timeline

21/06 Initial mortgage meeting
    22/06 AIP offered by Santander
    03/07 Solicitors appointed
    14/07 mortgage application submitted
    19/07 mortgage offer issued
    20/07 survey arranged
    21/07 survey completed
    25/07 letter from Santander confirming details of survey
    27/07 documents from sellers received and collated by solicitor
    31/07 local search submitted
    11/08 local search results
    15/08 documents signed by us - pushed for completion date on 21/08
    17/08 confirmation received from solicitors that seller is signing paperwork on 18/08 and has agreed to exchange and complete on 21/08

Just a bit of background - we are buying from my parents' neighbours so the house isn't on the market and all the negotiations were done privately. The house is also empty hence my impatience! I really hope we can exchange and complete Monday!!

Just had a call from our solicitors. We've exchanged today! Completing Monday!
  • Bhanson
    Bhanson Posts: 17 Forumite
    Thought I'd join in, timeline so far -

Mid April 2017 - our house on the market
    Mid April (three days later) - full asking price offer received and ours goes sold STC. Buyer is cash buyer, in no hurry to be in.
    Mid April - desperate house search commence (was expecting a leisurely look around whilst trying to sell ours!)
    Early May - offer made and accepted.
    Late May - find out house offer made on has been underpinned due to subsidence (not common in our area). Transpires that vendor doesn't have the right paperwork for underpinning done 8 or so years ago. Withdraw from purchase.
    Mid June - offer made, declined, increased and accepted.
    Mid June (seven days later) - gazumped. Find out that other party had offers an extra £1.5k than us... could offer more but decide we don't want to deal with such flakey vendors and walk away.
    22 July - view 'the one'. Missus very excited, declares others didn't work out because this one was for us ��
    22 July - offer made, delclined with a minimum vendor prepared to accept. Agree something in the middle.
    24 July - mortgage application submitted and solicitors instructed. (L&C broker and solicitors already have all of our details from previous attempts to buy).
    7 August - searches submitted.
    11 August - lender's valuation and survey carried out.
    14 August - survey report received and mortgage offer issued.
    15 August - mortgage offer received in the post, signed and sent back the bits we had to sign and return.
    18 August - property report on its easy to us in the post.

Looking like we're hoping for 15 September for completion. Chain is quite short (our incredibly patient cash buyers, us, vendor and their onward purchase/vendor (that property is stood empty, it was a renovation project I think)).

Will be leaving a very nice bottle of wine and good pack of beers in the fridge when we leave! The good folk buying ours have been great, very understanding when it's been falling to bits for our previous two attempts to buy!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback