IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye PCN - Registered Keeper Living Overseas

Options
stevem365
stevem365 Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary
Apologies for starting a new thread, but I've checked through the FAQ and can't seem to find any advice that fits my circumstances.

I moved to the UAE in 2016, but I've just returned to UK for a short Christmas break and received a PCN from Parking Eye for an alleged parking infringement, which occurred two days before I arrived back in the UK.

Can anyone offer me advice on how I should handle this, given I'm due to to fly back to UAE in two days' time?

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 December 2017 at 3:24PM
    Options
    Tell the driver not to use that car park again. Edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper on here and in any correspondence with the PPC.

Send the BPA template in blue to parking lie once you get back to the UAE, giving them your overseas address for service.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    How is post to the UAR, pretty hit and miss I should think. Tell PE about it and advise them to send any correspondence to you by registered, insured, signed for, very expensive post, or, even better, by DHL.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • stevem365
    Options
    Post to the UAE is pretty shocking to be honest. Post-codes don't exist and postal addresses are random to say the least.

Overseas post is a lottery - worse than that - I've never received anything sent from the UK.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Fruitcake - not needed, you only have to be contactable at the address given on the licence and v5.
    You can actually live anywhere you like

The Keeper can be liable, and with PE probably is. However, there is no way in hell they will launch a court claim - the only way they can enforce payment as this is merely an invoice - against someone domiciled in the UAE.

You are not within the jurisdiction of the UK courts, so you must ensure they have your address. They accept service by email, but you just appeal online giving your FULL address overseas, state this is the ONLY address for service in future, and that they must not use normal post to communicate as there is NO g’teed servjce there, as the Interpretations Act does not help them. They must use fully tracked post for EVERY comm.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stevem365, you also need to tell your son never to contact PE.
    He must never disclose the driver's details.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fruitcake - not needed, you only have to be contactable at the address given on the licence and v5.
    You can actually live anywhere you like

The Keeper can be liable, and with PE probably is. However, there is no way in hell they will launch a court claim - the only way they can enforce payment as this is merely an invoice - against someone domiciled in the UAE.

You are not within the jurisdiction of the UK courts, so you must ensure they have your address. They accept service by email, but you just appeal online giving your FULL address overseas, state this is the ONLY address for service in future, and that they must not use normal post to communicate as there is NO g’teed servjce there, as the Interpretations Act does not help them. They must use fully tracked post for EVERY comm.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • stevem365
    Options
    Thanks for the assistance, everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Kirchenmaus
    Options
    PE will probably just continue to correspond with the OP at the same UK address. It worked once; it will work again? MCOL cannot be used for a non-UK address, but they've got five-plus years to harass the OP at his UK address, during which period he might (like most UAE expats I know) move back. Certainly, inform PE of the new address (in a way that can be shown to a UK court if a MCOL claim is nonetheless filed), but don't expect the letters to stop.

--Kirchenmaus
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Out of interest, new poster Church Mouse.

Regulars will be interested to know whether you have posted before on pepipoo, maybe?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 January 2018 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Out of interest, new poster Church Mouse - why is your username not the same as your signature?

Always intriguing when a complete newbie uses forum acronyms like 'PE' and 'OP' from the off.
    Must be the Pepipoo user churchmouse's German cousin :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure