VLS not on Halifax SD?

Alexland
Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 December 2017 at 6:52PM in Savings & investments
Hi,

This has stumped me. A while ago I performed an in-specie transfer of VLS units to Halifax SD. I have so far avoided trading but today I had a look and noticed that VLS series is not in the list of funds available to trade despite them offering the similar VTR series. As such when I click on my holding to sell their interface tells me that the fund code is not recognised so it looks like I cannot sell online?

So given they don't support L&G MI either it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?

Alex.

Comments

• Camster
    Camster Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have a Halifax Share Dealing account and contacted them about this. They have told me it is due to a technical problem and they are working on it as a priority to resolve the issue.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?

That is not necessarily a problem depending on which VLS version you were looking at. If VLS60 was your choice then HSBC is better. It isnt necessarily the case across the whole range though as the matches are not exact.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    edited 30 December 2017 at 6:58PM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is not necessarily a problem depending on which VLS version you were looking at. If VLS60 was your choice then HSBC is better. It isnt necessarily the case across the whole range though as the matches are not exact.

I agree they are also good funds however substantially smaller in size to the VLS series. I am considering swapping my VLS80 for HSBC Dynamic (+4% equities) in my Halifax SD SIPP and then increasing my bond and UK weightings in my workplace scheme (which is already more bond heavy to bring me down to an average 70% shares exposure) to further compensate which should, for the cost of 2 trades on Halifax SD, reduce my fees across the two schemes by around £50 per year with the saving increasing as the assets grow.

Alex
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Camster wrote: »
    I have a Halifax Share Dealing account and contacted them about this. They have told me it is due to a technical problem and they are working on it as a priority to resolve the issue.
    I've just checked it as well as I have VLS funds on HSD, but the VLS funds have disappeared from the list as regards buying or selling. Luckily I don't want to buy or sell at present, but still a bit concerning.
  • Alexland
    Looks like it's working again today.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Alexland wrote: »
    it looks like the only low cost multi asset funds available on Halifax SD are the HSBC Global Strategy series?

Alex.
    dunstonh wrote: »

Hi dunstonh,

What is it about the HSBC fund that is better than VLS60?
  • Alexland
    TheShape wrote: »

Appreciate the question is aimed at Dunstonh but the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced has 4% more equities and 0.03% lower fees which are generally good things. Also the HSBC has no home bias and the bonds are 60% corporate versus 60% government in VLS which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi dunstonh,

Alexland wrote: »
    Appreciate the question is aimed at Dunstonh but the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced has 4% more equities and 0.03% lower fees which are generally good things. Also the HSBC has no home bias and the bonds are 60% corporate versus 60% government in VLS which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Thanks Alexland.

I can see how the equity proportion and lower fees might/will be preferable in HSBC Global Strategy Balanced vs VLS60.

HSBC with ~4% UK equities is obviously far lower than the ~24% in VLS or the ~14% in Blackrock Consensus that I hold. The differences are significant.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Corporate Bonds vs Government Bonds?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of Corporate Bonds vs Government Bonds?

Primarily risk and return. Corporate bonds are a higher risk and offer a higher return. Government bonds (from G20 countries, at least) are lower risk and offer a lower return.
  • Alexland
    Also the bonds might behave differently in a crisis but that really depends on the nature of the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure