PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking price offer - vendor now wanting more!

Comments

• saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Understand the animals, garden etc make an extra move and rental accomodation more difficult. Note however if you sell now, you'll get the full sale proceeds which you can invest in an instant access fund. Depending on how the return of your investment compares to rental yield, this would offset the rent you pay.

If you think your buyer will be willing to wait, then it might just work out for you. The message from us is just to leave your offer on the table but otherwise proceed as if the house you're offering on didn't exist. You can't force them to move any faster, and frequent chasing won't help as it sounds like they're looking for more / unmotivated / undecided.
  • Okay, so we just had a reply from the EA - they say they have still not received an answer from the solicitor and are chasing.......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • My fingers are crossed for you - I know it must be special and that you're the perfect person to take care of a house like that.

(I feel a little sad when some people buy these places and don't really appreciate them. It always makes me think there's someone out there who would truly treasure this but can't afford it. Including me usually!)

Thank you QS :)

I know. It's very sad that the wrong people often end up buying these properties. We had a few look at our current house and all they were interested in doing was knocking it about/extending till it bore no resemblance to its original appearance. Fortunately it has an Article 4, but that hasn't stopped others locally.......

Nothing further from the EA today, so that's 14 days since we submitted our offer.

• Nothing further from the EA today, so that's 14 days since we submitted our offer.

If you had asked someone out and they didn't answer for 14 days, would that give you a clue about what they thought of your offer?

The estate agent is messing you around, I made a suggestion earlier on how you could turn this around but at the moment you are just singing to their tune.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • If you had asked someone out and they didn't answer for 14 days, would that give you a clue about what they thought of your offer?

The estate agent is messing you around, I made a suggestion earlier on how you could turn this around but at the moment you are just singing to their tune.

Thanks.....I had missed your earlier reply till a moment ago, but as it happens we did tell the EA this afternoon that we have viewed and offered on another property. This is not a complete fabrication as we do actually have an offer left on the table for a house we viewed before this one, but they are not to know our original offer wasn't accepted ;) We also said if that offer is accepted we'll be withdrawing our offer on this one.

The area we are looking to purchase in is some 3-3.5 hours drive away so we can't just rock up for viewings easily, but despite the sheer lack of suitable property we're doing our best to identify others worth travelling to view.

I agree, we've been too nice and it's time to play hard ball. Will update if there are any further developments.........

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If you had asked someone out and they didn't answer for 14 days, would that give you a clue about what they thought of your offer?

For a probate property with multiple beneficiaries that would not be unusual.

Often they won't care about ultimatums from potential buyers as the motivations to sell are not the same as those trying to move house.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

I'm not sure how you deduce that it's the EA messing the OP around!

Wouldn't it be more logical to point the finger of blame at the executor(s) and/or beneficiaries?

All the EA wants is a nice simple sale, ideally as fast as possible. However, it is not uncommon for the EA to be blamed as a result of their client's actions.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Very unlikely to be the agent messing anyone around.

Far more likely that the executors/beneficiaries are not making a quick decision for whatever reason. It could be as simple as just one person that doesn't 'get' any urgency. The solicitor may have gone all old school and actually written letters to people. If abroad etc then 2 weeks is nothing really.

I doubt you can do much to force the issue in such a case other than ask the agent to remind the solicitor that you are looking to move quickly so will continue to offer on other properties.
  • So, having last heard from the EA at the end of the week when they assured us they were still chasing the solicitor for a reply and would let us know as soon as they had any news, today the property has been marked as SSTC :mad:

We never received a yay or nay to our offer (made on 2nd November) and neither were we given the opportunity to increase our offer after other(s) had been received......grrrrr!

Had we been given the chance we would have happily offered up to £20k more.

Beyond angry now, especially as we had great news regarding our own sale today and exchange on that is iminent......

Very little else out there that suits our requirements either :(

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's a shame, but people are like that and it seemed like that was going to be the end result from what you've been saying. I would be weary of the estate agents though in the future. I know they work for the seller but at the end of the day, you are being messed around and they knew all about it and what was happening. I would also write a review on google and Facebook about how disappointed you are with the professionalism of the EA.

I did also have the same issue. Although it was down to the seller, the EA did nothing to resolve the issue.

Given its coming up to December I would clarify whether your buyers are wanting to move in before Christmas. The worst thing to do now is to mess them around.

It maybe worthwhile considering rented accommodation. Spring will come around soon and more properties should start coming on the market.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure