Most unexpected money saving tip!

Options
Today I was chatting to some of my work colleagues and we were chatting about money saving and bargains as you do... One of my co-workers was amazed that because I did a particular online course that I only paid about £15 I had qualified for an NUS card and now get student discounts for a year...

Whilst not earth shattering then he was blown away by this (I'm slowly converting everyone to MSE hahaha!) - but I made me wonder what weird, unexpected and quirky money saving tips have you come across - or even what was SO obvious to you but blew someones head when you educated them :money:

I'd love to hear if people have quirky tips out there!
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello Mrs Tinks,

Long time no speaka, hope alls well !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Plumjam
    Options
    I recently bought an iPad from the Apple Store (I know, not very money saving). During the conversation with the salesman, he asked me if I'd be using it for work to which I replied 'no chance, I work in a school'. He then told me that as I work in education, I could have a discount. I didn't have any proof with me but he still gave me the discount.
  • JamesZxr
    Options
    Microsoft home user program - if your organisation is signed up you can get Office (currently the Professional Plus 2016 version) for about £10.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Sourcrate - long time indeed! :)

Thought I should pop in and say hello to everyone!
    Lifes been super busy but I'm enjoying my debt free status at the moment and finally having savings being put away each month! :) :money:
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Happierdays
    Options
    A few years ago I heard somewhere that you can cook pasta by just pouring the boiling water over it, put on a tight fitting lid and cover with a tea towel (I assume these steps are to keep in heat as much as possible) and leave to stand for the usual time you would boil/simmer it..I've been cooking pasta this way for years with no complaints! Don't know how much this has saved on electricity over the years but must be something!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NHS employees get 20% off with EE on their monthly bill. Pretty decent to be fair.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    NHS employees also get 10% off United Carpets if that is any help....
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    A few years ago I heard somewhere that you can cook pasta by just pouring the boiling water over it, put on a tight fitting lid and cover with a tea towel (I assume these steps are to keep in heat as much as possible) and leave to stand for the usual time you would boil/simmer it..I've been cooking pasta this way for years with no complaints! Don't know how much this has saved on electricity over the years but must be something!

I do this too, and with rice, after reading it on the old style board. But find with rice when the time's up I need to bring it back to the boil. I've tried to tell loads of people you don't need to simmer it, but am convinced no one believes me!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • MrsLWW
    MrsLWW Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    NHS staff can sign up to NHS discounts, NHS Staff Benefits and all armed forces, NHS & Emergency Services can sign up to the Blue Light Card - lot's of lovely discounts!

Also just discovered the Yolt App - all your banking, spending habits in one place. Been using it for a few weeks now and am raving about it to anyone who will listen lol!

HTH

L Xx
    Debt peak approx £30,000 :eek: now debt free!!! :j
    My parents always said "If you can't afford it cash, you can't afford it!" so true!.... mind you, turns out we can't afford much lol :rotfl:
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Thanks determined new ms for the rice tip- will definitely try it!
    Yes i too am sure no one believes me...always trying to convince my 19 year old that he doesn't have to fast boil the pasta for 10 min to cook it lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure