Santas challenge 2017

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    happy kitties Prague sounds wonderful.

I had a clear out of the box that I keep the presents in. I dump freebie gifts and items to be re-gifted in there as well, so it was overflowing. I did manage to remove the children's presents before they saw them!!! I pulled out a number of items I was unlikely to ever find a recipient for and put them aside for the jumble sale or school fete. At least I can close the box now.

I also identified a broken present. The problem with buying throughout the year, is that it's normally too late to return the item,by the time you notice the fault. I'd bought MIL a travel wallet and the clasp came off in my hand when I opened. I stuck it back in place, and it seemed fine. Now, it's come off again and won't stay in place - I can't superglue it, as it needs to move. So now, I need a replacement gift.

Rumour has it that Smyths 20% off toys starts at the end of next week. I'm not sure if I will buy enough to warrant a 1.5 hour round trip though.
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone.

Chanie, I remember when travel wallets were a topic on here, that's a real shame the one you brought is beyond repair. Are you going to get another one?

Katiehound - I never expected your credit card would be paying for the loo!! That's certainly an unusual scenario although I do recall several foreign holidays where you had to pay u cash for a tiny piece of toilet paper and you weren't allowed to ask for 2 pieces lol

I was laughing at Chanie's suggestion with the food delicacy.

Happy Kitties that sounds like a really good trip hope you get good weather for the outside markets.

Mum2one, that's nice that you were given a compliment. I can see why Miss H was astounded by the name of that cider

Hi Laurenh1, welcome to our group, hope you enjoy it.

I've made a start on my handmade gift ideas. Have any of you done the Open When letters/cards/gifts? I've been coming up with suggestions for a set of those as a birthday gift for the friend who is doing Christmas with me (birthday on Winter Solstice) I thought the first card would be 'open now' and have some kind of personal gift, I might make a necklace and the rest of the envelopes will be a mix of funny and serious with photos and other bits and pieces to go inside.
  • chanie
    Anglea wrote: »

Chanie, I remember when travel wallets were a topic on here, that's a real shame the one you brought is beyond repair. Are you going to get another one?

I did try and glue the broken clasp back on, as it was otherwise going in the bin and I had nothing to lose by trying. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've ordered another one, but a different style and with a popper rather than a clasp. It's for my MIL, who I find difficult to buy for and I don't have any other ideas.

Angela your 'open when' idea sounds lovely. It's nice to have gifts spread out over a longer period of time.

I'm going to make the children chocolate selection boxes this year. I got shop bought last year and they were a rip off. I need to find a nice sized box or cheap basket.
  • Back from holiday. Had an amazing cruise and Zoe loved it. We got fireworks as we pulled out of Hamburg. The end of a big cruise festival. A very different and less relaxing holiday with a baby, but she loved it and made little friends in the kid's club.

There was a mix up with online credit and I ended up with a lot more than I should have. Told them and they didn't correct it. So I did a bit of Christmas shopping on board. Whiskey and a few other bottles, so that's dad and possibly sister. Some nice earrings for my niece and some perfume for mum. All essentially free..shh. Don't tell! And got a few bits on shore in Sweden and Copenhagen as the make up and smellies there were a good price in a few of the shops I like. But now we are back I can properly concentrate on it. Get my Christmas planner out and start making notes. Yay.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • chanie
    crazy cat Good result on the cruise.

We have 9 people left to buy for, which means I'm roughly halfway there. Plus our children. Gosh, when it's written down like that, it seems horrendous.
  • chanie that is a shame about ur mil travel wallet, i wouldnt have been a happy bunny at all.It was you that put me onto the idea of travel wallets and I got a few for presents-birthdays and Christmas. A great idea and they do make fantastic present.
    Can't wait for Prague, have managed to get rooms in the same place as last year that are so close to the Christmas markets and work out cheaper than if you were going to a Premier Inn over here. Taking bestie this year, she is super excited!!

I'm just waiting for Christmas stock to come out in the shops. M@rrisons did Christmas cocktail baubles last year which were a really good price, DD thought they were great. Hoping they do them again this year as I am after some for my sis in law and DD again.

Just need to finish wrapping but everything still packed up after decorating and I am slowly sorting things out.
    I've also started on the next round of birthdays-a few landmark, after a break over the summer. The RMS stamps are a godsend this time of year, they save me a fortune in postage.
    Hope everyone's Christmas plans are going well x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Apologies everyone, my post this morning contained a lot of info from a previous post I did-u can tell I am at a standstill with Christmas!!!!!!!
    But I did want to comment on chanies broken travel wallet-that would have frustrated me enormously
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    Apologies everyone, my post this morning contained a lot of info from a previous post I did-u can tell I am at a standstill with Christmas!!!!!!!
    But I did want to comment on chanies broken travel wallet-that would have frustrated me enormously

That is one of the problems with buying in advance - if it is broken or unwanted, you can't really return it. Last year, I bought SIL some water dancing speakers and by the time I gave them to her, the water had evaporated. I tried to take them back to the shop, but they said they hadn't sold them for months.

When I buy a gift, I make sure I give it the once over before putting it away in storage. I also try to avoid buying stuff that could get damaged easily.

Happy kitties I'm looking forward to the shops Xmas stock too, particularly IKEA - I like their stuff as its different to the stuff you normally see on the High Street.
  • chanie
    The new travel wallet arrived today and the look and feel of it is much better. I wasn't that impressed with the first one I bought in terms of quality, but not enough to either not give it, or to return it.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Where has the time gone, I know once had Miss hoodies bday end of the mth, then it's Xmas planning...

Feel so tight, thou I know it isn't, as had some tax back from the ppi, I said I'd put some up towards a mac book... but it would be off me and mum, with a smaller present for her bday... so far we have a new suitcase (hand luggage size), straighteners - off the dog, iou for foundation, she likes mac foundation £24 a pot! Airport treat and iou for 2 pandora charms. For her bday she's going to cinema and Nando's with 3 friends, so said i would pay for the meals.

We've got Prague b4 Xmas, can't wait....

Christmas presents, had a body shop order, 30% off, spent by£30 had free gifts worth £30. Perfume and other items so that's a friends Xmas prezzie ticked off.
    X
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family