MSE News: Some EE and BT Mobile customers unable to use free EU roaming

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 30 August 2017 at 5:43PM in Phones & TV
Some EE and BT Mobile customers who fail credit checks can't use their UK minutes, texts and data when travelling in Europe - despite new rules coming in earlier this summer aimed at letting you use your UK allowance for free elsewhere in the EU...
Read the full story:
'Some EE and BT Mobile customers unable to use free EU roaming'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2017 at 11:47PM
    The position on these EE and BT contracts is quite ridiculous.

Apart from the bundle being supposed to be usable abroad in Europe at no extra cost, even if the customer exceeds the contract bundle the charges are then supposed to be the same as for excess minutes or data at home. Just as affordable or not as at home, so no extra sanction or tests should be needed.
  • farci
    farci Posts: 20 Forumite
    I alerted MSE to to a further restriction on SIM-only deals but they haven't pubished my concern.

MSE recently promoted a SIM-only deal from Plusnet with a generous data allowance. Before I signed up I checked the T&C but Plusnet made no mention that they do not support call forwarding. When I contacted them after subscribing they agreed this should have been mentioned and they have credited my account and provided a PAC code to enable me to cancel.

MSE needs to add this health warning to deals they are paid to promote :naughty::naughty:
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    I don't see a problem with this, it's a commericial decision.

It discourages non-UK residents getting UK SIMs when their intention is to use mostly in their home country. It is harder to chase debt if people are not in the UK. (There are some provisos in the EU regs allowing networks to prevent this "abuse", but they're pretty weak.)
  • robot1000
    robot1000 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't see a problem with this, it's a commericial decision.

It discourages non-UK residents getting UK SIMs when their intention is to use mostly in their home country. It is harder to chase debt if people are not in the UK. (There are some provisos in the EU regs allowing networks to prevent this "abuse", but they're pretty weak.)

Think you may be missing the point though, as it's a UK resident who's been blocked. As another poster stated above, if they're granting usage in the UK, then they should allow EU Roaming as it's all inclusive minutes being used anyway. Seems they haven't updated their roaming systems to comply with the new EU regulations
  • Tried to get a contract with EE like 2 weeks ago (Currently on Vodafone). Passed the credit check, got the confirmation email, 3 days later, no sim card, so I called them, and they said my credit check failed, and in order to get the contract I would have to pay a £50 deposit.
    So annoying to get the confirmation email and then no notification at all about this!
    I got a better deal with Vodafone anyway....
  • robot1000 wrote: »
    Think you may be missing the point though, as it's a UK resident who's been blocked. As another poster stated above, if they're granting usage in the UK, then they should allow EU Roaming as it's all inclusive minutes being used anyway.

No, actually (with respect) you missed my point. At the moment the people in this situation are UK residents who fail credit checks - and obviously it seems tough on them. As you suggest, the exposure is no different whether they use the phones in the UK or Europe. BUT, if they relaxed the credit checks to allow roaming, then there is a risk of more Europeans taking UK contracts so they can use their phones in their home countries - which increases the risk of the networks incurring debt that can't easily be chased.
    robot1000 wrote: »
    Seems they haven't updated their roaming systems to comply with the new EU regulations

But either way, this is not the case. The EU regulations only state that the charges for roaming must be the same. They don't impose an obligation to offer roaming.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 September 2017 at 7:11PM
    But either way, this is not the case. The EU regulations only state that the charges for roaming must be the same. They don't impose an obligation to offer roaming.

They aren't obligated to offer roaming, however they should tell you up front that you're not allowed to roam so that you can choose a different provider.

The customer in the story claims to be surprised that they were prevented from roaming.

While BT are claiming that the problem is that lifting the roaming ban would cover both the EU and the rest of the world. Which sounds like they are blaming customers for their broken system.

The lesson we should learn from this is to rack up huge debts while in the UK and then move to the EU as supposedly it's impossible for them to chase the debts there.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a nightmare with EE recently in the usa.

I spoke to them a few days before my trip and they convinced me not to leave and go to THREE but to go onto their max plan which included USA. They knew I was going in a few days and ensured it was all switched over beforehand.

So I get to US - doesnt work. Lots of hassle. I eventually have to use my wifes THREE mobile to call EE. Turns out even though I upgraded to their max plan I had to ask them to allow roaming in the USA so it was my fault because the sales dept were different.

Completely nuts when I had unlimited calls in my plan and USA calls should have been included. I was not happy.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport