SKI-er or Sk-ater. We know how to enjoy ourselves

Comments

• tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    ibizafan wrote: »
    Doing my best SKI yet by booking a business class ticket to fly to Brisbane in September to visit son and soon to be born second grandchild. I've done the journey twice in economy and enough is enough! Told son that I am spending his inheritance by visiting him in style. Might have to do it again though, because every one says that once you turn left on the plane, you never turn right again!

If you do get the 'turn left' bug, don't forget to check out the overseas travel section, and look for ex-EU start points - much savings to be made :)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tocsin wrote: »
    If you do get the 'turn left' bug, don't forget to check out the overseas travel section, and look for ex-EU start points - much savings to be made :)
    I do have the TL bug and what you suggest sounds interesting and I should check it out. Are you saying to book from a non-EU origin and find an independent way to that point, or to book a two-leg trip, doing the long haul from the UK via a non-EU stop?
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Margaretclare, that is wonderful. After the difficult year you have had, I am so pleased for you, and envious too.

Thank you very much for the kind words. DH is still on antibiotics until next month, then it will be 6 months after the reconstructive surgery to his leg. We'll have a day out when he goes to Oxford to be written-off by his orthopaedic and plastic surgeons, and the microbiologist. Maybe have a nice meal out that day to celebrate. No more going by hospital transport, not after driving to the Black Forest, and I'll go with him to Oxford. They really didn't know what they were dealing with when they told him what might/might not be possible 'because of his age'.

Well, I've just paid off my credit card and don't intend to spend anything on it for the foreseeable future. We're having another week away in September, visiting his brother who lives in the Vendee near La Rochelle. We're staying 2 nights in Rouen on the way out and a night in Amiens on the way back. After that, I'm paying the people who did our pond originally - it has become very overgrown and neglected. They'll sort it out completely and then give it some attention once a year. In addition to all that, I helped my eldest GD replace her car a couple of months ago after some idiot rammed her in the back end. She's only been a qualified driver for one year but already on her 3rd car - not her fault, but apparently mummy and daddy can't help. I wouldn't do it if she wasn't appreciative. Bank of Granny would not pay up if she didn't get a thank you.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    This thread has been quiet for months. Is nobody spending?
    DH has just bought a car, not new, 2014, but still has loads of modern technology. Struggled to make the sat nav work properly, so he is studying the handbook now. I have realised how much he relies on it. We used my phone to get us home. Instructions were clear but because he couldn't see a route on his screen, he missed a turn, even though I had just said, turn right here. I manage well enough in my car by studying a map book first, and making myself aware of routes, towns etc, and listening to my phone if need be. I don't want to lose my navigational skills.
    Other gadgets include a device that stops you needing to use the handbrake if you pause on a hill. Clever. And of course, keyless ignition.
    I had to bite my tongue when we pulled up a petrol station and although he said he knew which side the petrol tank is , he got it wrong! Doh! At least he didn't put diesel in, having changed from a diesel to petrol car.
    I have decided I don't want to change my car. It is 6 yrs old but very low mileage so no point really. I struggle to spend money.

If he looks at the panel behind the steering wheel there should be a little petrol pump with a < or > beside it which tells you which side your petrol tank is, pretty neat!
    :j
  • CommyTooper
    CommyTooper Posts: 57 Forumite
    Have read a lot on MSE over time, and very useful it has been. As I am a way past 50, I thought I'd post here first and say hello.
    p.s., what is a skier, and what is a skater, I'm longing to know.
    (I don't need to ask why we should spend, as opposed to bequeath, our hard earned.)
    Thankyou.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Spending the
    Kids
    Inheritance

SKI
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hunters wrote: »
    If he looks at the panel behind the steering wheel there should be a little petrol pump with a < or > beside it which tells you which side your petrol tank is, pretty neat!

Yes, of course, thanks. It was all so new, a lot to get used to in a short time. And he is showing his age!
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    I know exactly what you mean. When I changed my car I realised I had, had the old one for 13 years, no electric windows even! New car has arrows ^ telling me to change up or down and I found it most distracting and kept wanting to beat the arrow :)
    :j
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Have read a lot on MSE over time, and very useful it has been. As I am a way past 50, I thought I'd post here first and say hello.
    p.s., what is a skier, and what is a skater, I'm longing to know.
    (I don't need to ask why we should spend, as opposed to bequeath, our hard earned.)
    Thankyou.

Spending
    Kash
    And
    Thoroughly
    Enjoying
    Results

SKATER

for those without children :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    I do have the TL bug and what you suggest sounds interesting and I should check it out. Are you saying to book from a non-EU origin and find an independent way to that point, or to book a two-leg trip, doing the long haul from the UK via a non-EU stop?

EU origin with a positioning flight to get to the "start" - probably easiest to give an example. Say you live in the UK and want to go to Tokyo in business class. Most flights will be from Heathrow, so have a look for the deals from there. Then try starting from Dublin or Amsterdam for example (that's the "ex-EU" part, and you may still end up on the same flights via Heathrow).

Often these flights are much cheaper, and all you have to do is get to the ex-EU start point (some people living near London do a "back to back" flight to kick off the journey - using the same aircraft they flew out to Dublin on to "start" the long-haul. Even better for those of us living well away from London, where we would have to make a journey anyway :)

There are lots of options, some have been discussed on the travel forum here, and huge amounts of info on the Flyertalk site, e.g. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1736203-ex-dub-logistics-positioning-2016-clinic-thread.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure