British Gas default RE-ADDED after 6 years

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GingerBob wrote: »
    And how many times do I have to explain this one before it will sink in! Again - you do not have any form of contract with the company that supplies you water. There are no terms and conditions and you do not consent to anything. There is no contract.
    Yes there are. Just because you don't bother to research into the law, and yet claim to know how it works, doesn't mean it isn't there. You are of course free to cancel contract with your water supplier and draw from a well. Be my guest.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    However, the real issue here is one of data processing. What sort of antiquated, badly designed, systems are the CRAs running, that allow rogue operators like British Gas to do this sort of thing? The CRAs are almost as culpable as BG and also need taking to task by the ICO.

detecting re-applied defaults would require the CRAs to retain historical default data beyond 6 years and actively monitor and check against it.

Something which youve been vehemently opposed to.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • Arleen wrote: »
    Yes there are. Just because you don't bother to research into the law, and yet claim to know how it works, doesn't mean it isn't there. You are of course free to cancel contract with your water supplier and draw from a well. Be my guest.

Alright then, show me a water company contract with a domestic customer.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    According to that theory, if I make a genuine mistake when driving, for instance thinking that the speed limit is 40 when actually it's 30, I'm not guilty of any wrongdoing? It's actually a major failing of our semi-corrupt legal system that genuine mistakes are (nearly always) treated as criminal.

Speeding because you mistakenly thought it was a 40 and not a 30 is a different matter - and I suspect you know that :)

Apart from anything else then road signs are clearly displayed and there are other helpful indicators like street lighting in residential areas which indicate it's a 30mph zone even if you can't see a sign... oh and the houses... they often give the game away about it being an areas where you should drive with caution.

As far as an act regarding intentionally giving false details and unintentionally recording incorrect details then clearly one is potentially criminal and the other is not.

UNLESS the error has been pointed out and is continuously ignored at which point it becomes neglectfully criminal - based on my admittedly limited knowledge of law in this country...

As for water - aren't they about to change the regulations on letting you choose your supplier (although the mind boggles on how on earth you'd do that...) - Till then - I second the suggestion about a well and a cesspit :cool:
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • rizla_king wrote: »
    detecting re-applied defaults would require the CRAs to retain historical default data beyond 6 years and actively monitor and check against it.

Something which youve been vehemently opposed to.

My issue is last week I had a notification of a default being added from British Gas for £64 for electricity from 2009 ????

Surely even the CRAs, with their medieval data processing techniques, could detect that one - I assume BG provided they year when they maliciously re-applied the default.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Alright then, show me a water company contract with a domestic customer.
    Water Act 2014 and Water Industry Act 1991 both regulate the market, including your rights as a customer. You are more than welcome to read through them, but there are also human-friendly summaries available on the web.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Surely even the CRAs, with their medieval data processing techniques, could detect that one - I assume BG provided they year when they maliciously re-applied the default.

From 2009. NOT dated 2009.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • MrsTinks wrote: »
    Speeding because you mistakenly thought it was a 40 and not a 30 is a different matter - and I suspect you know that :)

Apart from anything else then road signs are clearly displayed and there are other helpful indicators like street lighting in residential areas which indicate it's a 30mph zone even if you can't see a sign... oh and the houses... they often give the game away about it being an areas where you should drive with caution.

As far as an act regarding intentionally giving false details and unintentionally recording incorrect details then clearly one is potentially criminal and the other is not.

UNLESS the error has been pointed out and is continuously ignored at which point it becomes neglectfully criminal - based on my admittedly limited knowledge of law in this country...

As for water - aren't they about to change the regulations on letting you choose your supplier (although the mind boggles on how on earth you'd do that...) - Till then - I second the suggestion about a well and a cesspit :cool:

Speeding - illustrative example only. There are loads of others.

Intentionally speeding and unintentionally speeding? It's all the same.

You seem to be saying that providers and CRAs are allowed to make mistakes but the rest of us aren't.
  • Arleen wrote: »
    Water Act 2014 and Water Industry Act 1991 both regulate the market, including your rights as a customer. You are more than welcome to read through them, but there are also human-friendly summaries available on the web.

You will no doubt have noticed, then, that there are no T&Cs and no contracts when supplying or procuring a domestic water supply.
  • rizla_king wrote: »
    From 2009. NOT dated 2009.

There mere fact that a date of 2009 is uploaded to the CRA database should set alarm bells ringing, and further checks should then be carried out. And if you tell me the original date of the default is not provided in such circumstances, then that's even worse - that's if their data processing regime could get any worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure