Train Delays guide discussion

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just a question anyone in the know, Euston - Glasgow QS Virgin West arrived 30 mins late, 50% Delay Repay refund confirmed today. Missed last (booked with Virgin) connecting train, had to buy a single to Edinburgh and then a single ongoing to destination which worked out more expensive than the Virgin Advance ticket to GQS.

Can I claim the cost of both single tickets back from Virgin ?
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    diamonds wrote: »
    Just a question anyone in the know, Euston - Glasgow QS Virgin West arrived 30 mins late, 50% Delay Repay refund confirmed today. Missed last (booked with Virgin) connecting train, had to buy a single to Edinburgh and then a single ongoing to destination which worked out more expensive than the Virgin Advance ticket to GQS.

Can I claim the cost of both single tickets back from Virgin ?

You can always ask, but what you should have done was contact station staff in Glasgow, who almost certainly would have given you authority to travel by the route you took in order to complete your journey.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    You can always ask, but what you should have done was contact station staff in Glasgow, who almost certainly would have given you authority to travel by the route you took in order to complete your journey.

No, the new Dutch franchise said only if departing a late Scotrail for connection. Further research shows that to be bull.

Anyway Virgin gave me £10 cash Delay Repay compo and a £45 rail voucher for use on any train company, £55 for a £20 ticket quite a good investment.

They would only refund the Virgin ticket section at 50% even though they booked the Scotrail connection, so the voucher covers both connecting trains from Glasgow onwards at £31 and my taxi at £4 as arrived past public transport connection times, so a 2 hour+ delay actually is worse than minimum wage rates before tax lol

Not complaining though £10 up in total and a £45 rail voucher valid for 12 months. I might push them a bit more though since its coming out our tax - the delay is being paid via Network Rail Compensation to Virgin Rail, who no doubt make profit not a loss or break even off such a bulk payment from NR.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • I was due to travel on the 5th December 2015 when storm Desmond struck. Northern rail cancelled all trains and trains between Carlisle and Preston were also cancelled by rail operators so in the end I had to drive from Workington to Manchester. I had to pay for the parking at Manchester for 6 weeks and then on return had no need for the train tickets back home. The trouble is these were advance saver tickets so not sure I can claim, so any advice would be great please?
  • As I am over 60, I do not have to pay to travel home in the evening. Yet my evening is totally disrupted if I have to divert to the Wetherspoons pub on Cannon Street station as I am now too old with coping with sardine trains.
    Surely they can come up with something to compensate me? Refund my unexpected drinks bill for the evening or allow me to have dinner on them.
  • Hi,

The article says that Chiltern Railways is part of the "Delay Repay" scheme and should pay out for delays regardless of the cause.

Tried it and they still say that they don't pay compensation for anything out of their control, bridge issues, vandalism, etc
  • murch1s0n wrote: »
    As I am over 60, I do not have to pay to travel home in the evening. Yet my evening is totally disrupted if I have to divert to the Wetherspoons pub on Cannon Street station as I am now too old with coping with sardine trains.
    Surely they can come up with something to compensate me? Refund my unexpected drinks bill for the evening or allow me to have dinner on them.
    Enjoy, though be steady on the number you have!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

The article says that Chiltern Railways is part of the "Delay Repay" scheme and should pay out for delays regardless of the cause.

Tried it and they still say that they don't pay compensation for anything out of their control, bridge issues, vandalism, etc

Welcome to the forum..

I'm not sure if you're asking for advice or just making a statement, but if the former you will be better re-posting on the 'public transport' board here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225

This board is intended for discussing overseas travel, hence the sparcity of posts on this particular thread
  • Hi p00hsticks,

On the main Train Delays article it has a link that leads directly to this forum thread for readers to give feedback on the article.

Thanks
  • Hi there, my husband's 5.57am train to london was cancelled today. The station being closed for several hours after overnight flooding. We rang GWR who said he would not be able to claim a refund as it was out of their control. Your guidance doesn't say when refunds are not available i.e. "We don’t normally offer compensation because of something outside of our control like trespassing, vandalism, severe weather, someone being hit by a train or a security alert."

Do you have any guidance on what he could do now to try to recoup his losses? He had bought a first class ticket costing over £100. If he had made it into London, he would have been able to claim it back on expenses, but as he had to cancel the meeting, he cannot. Any advice would be gratefully received,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure