Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Comments

• icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks op was not aware of this, been with Ebico since 2007 will move over once I get the notification from Ebico
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • Murray_D
    Murray_D Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2017 at 7:33PM
    I posted this on a different forum too ha, anyway thanks for creating this post.
    I received the e-mail today, so I'm wondering what's the what here?
    I only changed over to ebico two months ago so this is a little annoying but that's neither here nor there, is it better to stay with ebico and move over to RHE or the option is there to stay with SSE?

What to do?
    Any informed comments?
    I'm just a single bloke in a small flat so don't use that much anyway but if this is a dodgy company (hard to find any info on RHE actually) then maybe I need to change again to get away from one of the Big Six (SSE)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    An important change for those pre-pay customers who qualify for Warm Home Discount. They get it with the SSE partnership but not with the RHE partnership. Switching to a different supplier who offers the warm home discount looks to be in order.

I think we can now say that in starting its partnership with RHE Ebico is failing those customers who are victims of fuel poverty which it is pledged to help!

Personally it doesn't affect me because I'm a monthly direct debit customer and I can choose to stay with SSE if I inform Ebico by 15th March. I haven't received an email yet but I'll be phoning Ebico on Monday.
    If you are a customer paying either by Direct Debit or when you receive a bill, we will write to you very shortly about transferring to new, cheaper, Ebico Zero. If you decide that you do not wish to make this move, then you can inform us by web, email or phone by the 15th of March and you will remain supplied by SSE. After the 15th of March, Robin Hood Energy will write to you giving you a further two-week period in which you can change your mind.
    Link is the same as that posted in the OP.

btw OP thank you for posting this info. I didn't know about it.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Murray_D wrote: »
    I posted this on a different forum too ha, anyway thanks for creating this post.
    I received the e-mail today, so I'm wondering what's the what here?
    I only changed over to ebico two months ago so this is a little annoying but that's neither here nor there, is it better to stay with ebico and move over to RHE or the option is there to stay with SSE?

What to do?
    Any informed comments?
    I'm just a single bloke in a small flat so don't use that much anyway but if this is a dodgy company (hard to find any info on RHE actually) then maybe I need to change again to get awauy from one of the Big Six (SSE)

General advice applies.
    Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you

A couple of words of caution:
    1. This change only happened Friday and the comparison sites may not have the new tariff data loaded yet.
    2. Do not switch if you receive WHD

In your case, bearing in mind the above, if Ebico was the best deal for you 2 months ago then the new tariffs costing less will probably now be the best deal for you. (esp at a time most suppliers are raising prices)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    footyguy wrote: »
    2. Do not switch if you receive WHD

Perhaps I'm nitpicking here and I freely admit it.

Ebico appears to state that they don't know how long Equipower will be available to existing customers. Couple that with the Warm Home Discount eligibility cut-off date which is likely to be on or around 10th July 2017 (2016/17 date) and we can see that some of those in receipt of WHD may be in danger of losing it without very much notice. So it could be better to switch now to secure WHD eligibility for 2017/18.
    2. Eligibility
    You qualify for the discount if on 10 July 2016 all of the following applied:
    https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/eligibility
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 February 2017 at 1:41PM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm nitpicking here and I freely admit it.

Ebico appears to state that they don't know how long Equipower will be available to existing customers. Couple that with the Warm Home Discount eligibility cut-off date which is likely to be on or around 10th July 2017 (2016/17 date) and we can see that some of those in receipt of WHD may be in danger of losing it without very much notice. So it could be better to switch now to secure WHD eligibility for 2017/18.

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/eligibility

The issue is that SSE support WHD, whilst RHE does not.

Changing tariff with the same supplier will not affect your elibigility/receipt of that WHD. So if you are on Equipower and it is discontinued you will be offered another SSE tariff.

If you have not yet received your WHD credit (it may be applied as late as April) you will lose it if you switch supplier.

If you were entitled to WHD this year, chances are you will still be entitled next year if it still operates ... but not if you switch to a supplier that does not support WHD (like RHE)
    WHD is worth £140.

So if you are currently on Equipower, and if you receive WHD (and expect to next year), and expect Equipower to come to an end (probably, imho) or prices otherwise increase, and if you don't want to remain with SSE, then look to switch only after you have received the 2016/2017 WHD credit but before begining of July, and ensure the new supplier supports WHD (or you magically find one that would save you more than £140 compared to the best one that does)

I would suggest anyone on Equipower that is eligible for WHD and is thinking of switching supplier to contact Ebico (not SSE or RHE) and get some personalised advice.
  • I'm not sure that it's Ebico "failing" the people it exists for. I think it's rather SSE not wanting to be in partnership anymore and therefore Ebico having to find a new partner e.g Robin Hood Energy.

On the other hand, why don't Ebico set themselves up as a proper energy company. If councils can do it all on their own then I don't see why not.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 February 2017 at 5:36PM

On the other hand, why don't Ebico set themselves up as a proper energy company. If councils can do it all on their own then I don't see why not.

Perhaps Ebico are happy not to get into the speculative/financially risky World of energy purchasing. A small profit per customer for minimum risk.

Just found this Ebico response in an Ofgem document to a Market Review:

5. What would be the cost and timing involved for white labels in becoming licensed?

A. Our assessment is that, depending on route chosen, market entry could cost as much as £0.75M and could take as long as 22 months.
  • Hengus wrote: »
    Just found this Ebico response in an Ofgem document to a Market Review:

5. What would be the cost and timing involved for white labels in becoming licensed?

A. Our assessment is that, depending on route chosen, market entry could cost as much as £0.75M and could take as long as 22 months.

Ebico have been going for years and they could carry on with a partnership while waiting for the 22 months to lapse.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ebico have been going for years and they could carry on with a partnership while waiting for the 22 months to lapse.

As at 31 Dec 15:

7 employees ( a fall of 3 from the previous year)

Turnover: £1.2M

Salaries: £300k

Profit after Tax: £18k

Raising £0.75M for such a small company might be a bit of a challenge - but it has been done. A bit like Morgan cars, they may just be content to fill a niche corner in the industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure