OPODO - Ripped off and terrible complaints service

Options
Warning!!!
Do not use OPODO for booking flights or anything else!!! - They rip you off and ignore your complaints and don't refund you properly, if at all!!!

I've used OPODO quite a few times in the past as we book a lot of separate flights and villas/apartments for our hols.

I booked our recent flights to Barcelona and back through them and they have totally pee'd me off!

The outbound flight was with Monarch and the return flight was with Jet2.
I quoted a total price of £998.82 and I booked it.

When I checked my bank statement a few days later I found that there were 3 separate withdrawals… OPODO = £95.77, Monarch = £133.94 and Jet 2 = £789.39

That’s £1019.10 in total!

On top of that, they had charged the Jet2 one in Euros, so there was an extra £23.20 in Euro conversion charges, so a total of £1042.30.

I was therefore out of pocket by £43.46! :mad:

I rang them and they said I needed to put it in writing and they would look into it. I have sent them loads of emails trying to resolve this and each time they took days to response and kept asking for information that I had already sent them.

They emailed me saying that they would refund me just £20.26, which I replied was unacceptable. They have not responded to my email and just refunded the £20.26 :mad::mad::mad:

I’ve searched online about OPODO complaints and it seems that there is an actual OPODO complaints forum on Facebook with 1000s of posts on it!

(Just search OPODO COMPLAINTS on Facebook as it won't let me post the link up on here)

Loads of the people are chasing £100s of pounds of refunds for being double charged and people turning up to the airport to find that OPODO had cancelled their flights etc

There are also loads of other posts about OPODO !!!!-ups on other forums and articles on the Guardian website.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AN DON’T USE THEM EVER!!!

Comments

• littlereddevil
    Options
    Why not just book through the airlines?
    travelover
  • 1trainer1
    1trainer1 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I never understand why people book low cost carriers through 3rd party websites.

I was under the impression Easyjet, Ryanair etc. were always cheaper on their own websites
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that with Opodo (and their sister site eDreams) we've reached a point where, if the hundreds of easily found complaints do not deter people from using them then nothing will.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PeteKit wrote: »
    Warning!!!
    Do not use OPODO for booking flights or anything else!!! - They rip you off and ignore your complaints and don't refund you properly, if at all!!!

I've used OPODO quite a few times in the past as we book a lot of separate flights and villas/apartments for our hols.

I booked our recent flights to Barcelona and back through them and they have totally pee'd me off!

When I checked my bank statement a few days later I found that there were 3 separate withdrawals… OPODO = £95.77, Monarch = £133.94 and Jet 2 = £789.39

On top of that, they had charged the Jet2 one in Euros, so there was an extra £23.20 in Euro conversion charges, so a total of £1042.30.

I rang them and they said I needed to put it in writing and they would look into it. I have sent them loads of emails trying to resolve this and each time they took days to response and kept asking for information that I had already sent them.

They emailed me saying that they would refund me just £20.26, which I replied was unacceptable. They have not responded to my email and just refunded the £20.26 :mad::mad::mad:

I’ve searched online about OPODO complaints and it seems that there is an actual OPODO complaints forum on Facebook with 1000s of posts on it!

(Just search OPODO COMPLAINTS on Facebook as it won't let me post the link up on here)

Loads of the people are chasing £100s of pounds of refunds for being double charged and people turning up to the airport to find that OPODO had cancelled their flights etc

There are also loads of other posts about OPODO !!!!-ups on other forums and articles on the Guardian website.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AN DON’T USE THEM EVER!!!

Welcome to MSE, I hope you'll continue to post.

While warnings about Opodo might be well-founded based on a lot of online evidence (here and elsewhere, as you've discovered), I'm not really sure you have that much to complain about, based on what you have written above.

> You've used them several times previously, presumably as a satisfied customer (or at least not too unhappy), since you have returned to them each time until now.

> They overcharged you on this booking by £20.28

> They refunded you £20.26

> The £23.20 of EUR conversion charges - I can't say whether they advised you that they would charge the Jet2 flight in EUR, but it's not uncommon for this to happen as a default when you book one-way flights originating in a Eurozone country. It would be the same if you booked direct with an airline (though some may allow you to pay in GBP). If they used DCC to convert the price to GBP at their rate without telling you, then you may be liable to a refund (though I wish you luck), but if they billed your card in EUR, then it would be your card provider who has imposed the charges, not Opodo.

My conclusion - In comparison to some people's experience, in the end you haven't really been ripped off by Opodo, at worst they may have imposed DCC on the Jet2 flight without informing you, and it's not clear they did that (I'm ignoring the 2p difference above). They've refunded you what they seem to have overcharged on the actual price, which is better than a lot of people get (though no doubt dealing with them would have been challenging).

I would recommend when booking flights with LCCs in future, it is probably best to book direct with the airline(s) unless you place significant value on the service provided by the intermediary in terms of finding flights in one place, user experience etc.
  • harryB123
    Options
    I too have just had a bad experience with Opodo
    Just wish I'd have seen this before !
    I booked some flights through their site - firstly I now know since speaking with them that I've been charged £72 service charge on one of the flights - a BA flight which cost £520 and this was not made clear at all- apparently it only comes up on the side of your screen as you hit which payment method you are using but I certainly didn't see it !
    Then the amount I agreed to pay is different to the confirmation emails I've had from them. They have now charged me another £40 for a monarch flight which was definitely not in the total when I hit pay now
    I have rung them and they don't have a record of this and were very unhelpful
    I explained that I have now been charged £110+ for the their 'services' and they can't even work out why I've been charged what and have different things on their system to what I've received . An expensive service and a very poor service I'd say. I'm sure there are get out clauses for them somewhere in all the small print but it does feel like they are almost tricking people out of money
    Their service charge should be made much clearer -but that would mean people wouldn't use them as they charge so much so why would they ? Terrible company
    I certainly won't be using them again and will spread the word !
    Very annoying

=PeteKit;discussion/5355024]Warning!!!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AN DON’T USE THEM EVER!!![/QUOTE]
  • Bluevale
    Options
    I echo what you have to say about Opodo's lack of customer service and reliability. I wish I'd read this post before trying to book with them. When I tried to contact them my phone to amend a hotel booking that couldn't find my booking. Opodo's Customer Service did not reply to letters I wrote. They contacted me when I went to Twitter. Opodo then told me they'd transferred my booking to Booking.com and were very unhelpful about putting me in contact with them. I won't use Opodo again.
  • Benjo28
    Options
    Don't use Opodo: they're likely to cost you more in the end.
    Recently booked flights via Opodo. Initial cost of travel was about 300 euros.
    Owing to circumstances beyond my control, I had to change the flights to a week later. The Opodo 'administration fee' for this is ANOTHER 300 euros. Absolute rip-off! Everyone knows that this charge is hugely disproportionate to the effort it requires to make a simple flight change. Utterly inflexible customer service.
    Won't ever use Opodo again and suggest you avoid it too.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Options
    Benjo28 wrote: »
    Owing to circumstances beyond my control, I had to change the flights to a week later. The Opodo 'administration fee' for this is ANOTHER 300 euros. Absolute rip-off! Everyone knows that this charge is hugely disproportionate to the effort it requires to make a simple flight change.

Opodo T&Cs state they charge a £25 per person administration fee. When changing a flight it is usual to be charged a change fee plus fare difference by the airline...have you paid this on top of an admin fee of €300 or have you been charged €300 in total to include the airline charges?
    If the reason for changing is covered by your travel insurance you should look to them for reimbursement
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Benjo28 wrote: »
    The Opodo 'administration fee' for this is ANOTHER 300 euros. Absolute rip-off!

As above, the charge will not only include Opodo's fee but also the fee of the airline plus any difference in fare.
  • Well I didn't know any of these problems and used them to book two flights to Taiwan Premium Economy- when I got the tickets the ones between Hong Kong and Taipei were only Economy.
    The main problem with the comments so far is that there seems to be no way of making them accountable.
    Just not using them again and warning others is not stopping their bad practice!
    I have written to them after spending £20 worth of phone calls with no result. So far of course I have not had a reply.
    They need to be stopped - how can this be done?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure