First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any suggestions on what next?

Read the FAQs and take legal action.
  • kirjack
    Options
    Hi
    Can you help?
    Our returned flights from Ibiza were cancelled this weekend. We checked the flights online before leaving the hotel for the airport and it was fine. We only found out that it had been cancelled when we got to the airport and saw it on the board. We received no email or text from the airline saying that the flight had been cancelled.
    There was no representative from the airline at the airport and due to it being a late flight, the phone lines to the airline were closed till the next morning.
    We were left stranded at the airport with a 7 year old child and my mother. When I checked online again, it gave us an alternative flight for the next evening, 24 hours later. We were given the option to refund or accept. We had no choice but to accept.
    We were not offered any accommodation, food or drink. We have no change to buy drinks from the machines and all the food outlets were closed till the next day. Thankfully we had half a bottle of water with us but thats all.
    There was no one there to speak to from the airline to get help. So we slept on the airport chairs which was impossible with announcements going off every 20 mins.
    I rang the airline the next morning and complained, all I got was a sorry but not real offer of help. They managed to get us on an earlier flight but that wasnt till 6.25pm that day. In all, we left the hotel at 10pm for a 1am flight. We ended up leaving at 6.25pm the next day so nearly 24 hours door to door for what should be a 2.5hour flight to the UK.
    I emailed the airline whilst sitting in the airport and to date I've had no response. I shall be contacting them for compensation but in light that they should have a duty of care, what should I be going for? It's a well known airline - British Airways!
    I have no idea why the flight was cancelled, they wouldnt tell me. They offered no help, we were left to fend for ourselves - 2 ladies and one child in a foreign country - it wasn't nice.
    Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 July 2014 at 10:46AM
    Options
    kirjack - you are entitled to 250€ per paying person compensation and recompense for all food/soft drink costs upon presentation of receipts.
  • TrevorSmith
    Options
    Just to say thanks to all for the advice on this forum it helped me to obtain the compensation from BA. Its just a shame that it is necessary to make a formal legal claim before they will act. Anyway, cheers, Trevor
  • All4nh
    All4nh Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    More thanks to the contributors to this thread and those that penned the FAQ's - followed them plus a little of my own investigations and have now got acknowledgement from BA that compensation is due and awaiting receipt of money. My original post was at 657. A question though - there was a question at 622 by a person who was on the same flight as myself. I have tried the private message system to let them know that I have information which would help in their claim but it seems they haven't been on the site for ages. Is there any other way of getting a message to them other than the PM system?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All4nh wrote: »
    Is there any other way of getting a message to them other than the PM system?

No, there isn't.

I really wouldn't concern yourself with what other passengers may or may not have done. If you use the FAQs on here and you have a valid claim, chances are it will succeed. If you don't like the look of the court process, have a word with a no win no fee firm.
  • All4nh
    Options
    Thanks David - real shame as I have obtained positive proof that the excuse used by BA in that "an airport systems failure" was a complete lie. As soon as I served a NBA included within which was this evidence I received a reply stating that I was entitled to compensation. What a surprise !!!! As the lady who posted at 622 was on the same flight I was hoping to pass on the results of my own investigations to assist her in getting what she is due.
  • Rags2Riches_3
    Options
    I recently had to make a compensation claim regarding a cancelled flight to Toronto.

I received an almost immediate response from BA refusing my claim.

My follow up email back was stating the June court case of Jet2 plus letting them know I would be taking the matter further, I have now received full compensation.

The moral of the story - don't take NO for an answer.
  • rocknroller
    Options
    Just to let you know we have received the full compensation amount for a cancelled flight to Vancouver BA 0087 on 29th May. We sat on the runway for 5 hours with just 2 drinks offered until it was decided the aircraft could not be repaired and the flight was cancelled. The reason initially was one of the speed sensors but when that was fixed I think something else had gone wrong. It took a long time (about 6 weeks) before they replied to our claim offering the compensation and it crossed with my NBA letter which caused some confusion. It is impossible to get through by phone to the team dealing with compensation, either the line is dropped after a short message or you just hang on with various announcements until you get fed up, 50 minutes in my case. Eventually I rang BA HQ and spoke to one of their special customer service people who sorted it out and agreed to pass back feedback to improve their systems.
  • northerngeezer
    northerngeezer Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi,

My cousin and his wife were delayed by approx 5 hours from New Delhi to Heathrow last November. I wrote to BA using the MSE template but was refused compensation with this reply....

Thank you for contacting us about your claim for compensation.

Your claim for compensation has been refused because flight BA0256 on 27 November 2013 was delayed due to the late arrival of the previous flight BA0257 and the cargo hold defect with BA0256 which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

Unfortunately airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airline's control. British Airways takes all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to delay is made. We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case.

Thank you again for following this up with us. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

Jayashree Kodi

....Since then there has been a new ruling and I would be grateful for any advice whether I would be able to resubmit my claim.

Thank You
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure