Car insurance successes stories

Options

Comments

• Shatners_Bassoon
    Options
    What are you guys insuring on 1 Litre cars? Does this work on Aston Martins too?
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not just me then LoL.

My car is a 1.5 dci Clio 2006. And yes it should work on your Aston Martin - Lucky git :)
  • stents01
    Options
    Hiya i recently purchased a years insurance for a 325 BMW for £18 a year, the original quote was £98 then swintons were offering £40 cashback after 90 days and £40 is currently going through Quidco! unbelieveable:beer:
  • wendy05
    wendy05 Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    surely for this thread to have any real meaning there has to be a like for like comparison, ie same type of car , use, owner, etc so that there is a real piece of information being given.
  • Primmer
    Primmer Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My renewal quote for my MR2 was £432 going through Quidco to Swinton I have managed to get insurance for 160 with cashback being offered by both at mo - real bargain!
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Hi all,

A bit new to all this (!)...Which Company gives the biggest cashback on Car insurance? Best I seem to have found is £70 for e-car?

Got a total of £371 for my peugot 106xnd p plate, fully comp, breakdown inc homestart, key cover, protected NCD, windscreen cover, hire car cover, £100 excess. Not sure of premium to pay monthly but works out at £301 with the Quidco cashback!

Any other ideas?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 8 September 2009 at 10:04AM
    Options
    No point looking at biggest cash back - you need to first compare prices and policies without the cash back.

If one company gives £100 cash back but is £200 higher originally than another giving £50 cash back ....................

Go to a comparison site, get the best policies/prices (if possible using a different name/no car number!) then clear your cookies and go to a cash back site and see if those companies are on the list of insurers giving cash back and then get a quote through the cash back link.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 8 October 2009 at 10:39PM
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Yes, managed to get the net cost below £30 a couple of years ago. Didn't really try 12 months ago but am having a go at getting as low as possible this time around.

Best i can find is £70 cashback from RAC on £139.23 policy = net cost £69.23

So I bought this and the £70 from Quidco is showing.

Out of the blue I got a letter from RAC saying they were sending me a cheque for £30 as that was the deal on the website!! Don't remember that at all. But £39.23 net cost for fully comp on a skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel will do nicely.
  • danthemoneysavingman
    danthemoneysavingman Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 1 December 2009 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Hi all,
    I posted on this thread back on page 4:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=12542337&highlight=#post12542337

Why didnt this count as cheapest?

It turned out it was even better...
    after the insurance ran out, I got a further 5000 clubcard points (on top of the 6000 already awarded and the £100 of Tesco vouchers)...

I use these as clubcard deals, on car servicing amongst other things, so always get the 4 times value.

Hence, for the £339 fully comp with protected no claims, I received £100 straight vouchers plus £440 worth of clubcard deals...

Which puts the final cost of insurance that year at...

minus £201 !!!

Yes, I was paid the equivalent of £201 to insure my car (Audi A4).

Beat that!
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Former_MSE_Wendy
    Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
    edited 7 October 2009 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Sorry, we didn't spot this last year Dan.

It's a great price, although not officially using the MSE system, so well done :)
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback