PIP Help

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    acooper95 wrote: »
    Well DWP are being a nightmare this morning. Won't send him a IS10 form as she 'cant' and she cant manually update the ESA claim and add SDP. Unsure why and told me she will find out and call me within 5 days. Not happy. (UPDATE: Phoned again and it had been processed and backdated from 21st November)

LHA is £68.35 a week so that will stay the same, as will the council tax support. Lives in a 2 bed house since partner left a year ago. Easier to stay than move out with the stress.

Just looking at benefit amounts and should be on:
    ESA £125.05 a week
    Housing £68.35 a week
    SDP £61.85 a week
    PIP £76.90 a week

= £1,328 a month which is great. Little **** will get more than me and I work!

Suffice to say he will not be contesting the points.
    'You don't know what you're doing' is a common feeling I've had when I or someone on my behalf has been in conversation with them.

I still think there'd be real merit in pursuing a PIP reconsideration/appeal... but I also appreciate that it is not a simple administrative decision and have acted similarly myself with my own claim. Hopefully he can get on with more positive things... like I intend to.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Probably for the same reason we have lots of different taxes... just as per biological evolution the default is to add on to or amend what is existing to address an arising issue.

So if it acceptable or indeed required for the DWP to 'add' an extra amount (the arising issue) over and above the DLA/PIP award for the same disability if claiming say Income based ESA, why then is it not added to those claiming Contribution based ESA?
    To me that is admitting that those on an income based benefit need more money for the costs involved relating to that disability; so why not simply either pay everyone on ESA or better still, increase the DLA/PIP rates?
  • Savile wrote: »
    I am talking more about the cases where they could work but there is just no point due to drop in money, there are many disability's where there is NO extra cost and a lot who live a normal life most of the time but have "bad days" a few times year (normaly on accesment days) and feel they should be just left alone for life. where is the incentive to get a job??

this is the problem.

As for perks there are plenty, Free tickets for places, concessions, free parking, reduction on bills,

And if you are in the mindset of getting something for nothing why would you want to give this all up to work for minimum wage?

What amazes me is the number of households where both husband & wife + children are all claiming DLA/PIP AND don't work. Yet in other families where at least one works it is very rare to see more than one of the party said to be disabled.

Mind you I don't blame them. Not with multiple DLA/PIP awards in place with everyone claiming to care for each other etc they are raking in over £600 a week!!
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Savile wrote: »
    I am talking more about the cases where they could work but there is just no point due to drop in money

This thread is about help with PIP. PIP is not means tested so there is drop in money.
    there are many disability's where there is NO extra cost and a lot who live a normal life most of the time but have "bad days" a few times year (normaly on accesment days) and feel they should be just left alone for life. where is the incentive to get a job??

Hence the reason for something like PIP which targets the resources at those who face daily/mobility challenges.

The challenges include those people may face in the work place. Many people who receive PIP are in work.
    As for perks there are plenty, Free tickets for places, concessions, free parking, reduction on bills,

And if you are in the mindset of getting something for nothing why would you want to give this all up to work for minimum wage?

Again, PIP is not means tested. Why do you think people who are disabled are work shy? Plenty go out, work and make a positive contribution... unlike some people.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    acooper95 wrote: »
    Well DWP are being a nightmare this morning. Won't send him a IS10 form as she 'cant' and she cant manually update the ESA claim and add SDP. Unsure why and told me she will find out and call me within 5 days. Not happy. (UPDATE: Phoned again and it had been processed and backdated from 21st November)

LHA is £68.35 a week so that will stay the same, as will the council tax support. Lives in a 2 bed house since partner left a year ago. Easier to stay than move out with the stress.

Just looking at benefit amounts and should be on:
    ESA £125.05 a week
    Housing £68.35 a week
    SDP £61.85 a week
    PIP £76.90 a week

= £1,328 a month which is great. Little **** will get more than me and I work!

Suffice to say he will not be contesting the points.

Have you informed the council that he is now receiving SDP?

An award of SDP for a single person under 35 entitles them to the one bed rate of LHA instead of the the shared accommodation rate. The LHA you have given looks low for a one bed rate but may be correct depending on the area he lives in. Worth checking his council website to find out the LHA for one bed rate and informing the council that he has been awarded the SDP.
  • _CC_ wrote: »

Hence the reason for something like PIP which targets the resources at those who face daily/mobility challenges.
    You are having a laugh. To be absolutely truthful I don't know anyone that gets either DLA or PIP who can genuinely say that they do have extra costs. I had DLA for years (HRM & MRC) and in that time I didn't have any extra costs. To say that PIP targets those that need the money most is ridiculous. How does the government come up with that argument? How do they test for that?

Again, PIP is not means tested. Why do you think people who are disabled are work shy? Plenty go out, work and make a positive contribution... unlike some people.

PIP/DLA = extra premiums if you don't want to work. A couple (no children) both claiming would be on over approx £600 a week if you include all benefits received
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:09PM
    Those claiming contribution based benefits may be entitled to income based top ups. It depends on whether they have other household income and their level of savings.

Just one of numerous inaccuracies and contradictions in your ignorant posts on this subject.
  • CTcelt1988
    CTcelt1988 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Rockingbilly and Saville are trolls who's advise should be ignored.

Especially Rockingbilly, who bemoans people claiming from the state when they don't need it, yet is quite happy to do it himself.
  • acooper95
    acooper95 Posts: 33 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »

An award of SDP for a single person under 35 entitles them to the one bed rate of LHA instead of the the shared accommodation rate. The LHA you have given looks low for a one bed rate but may be correct depending on the area he lives in. Worth checking his council website to find out the LHA for one bed rate and informing the council that he has been awarded the SDP.

Hello!

I contacted them today and informed of PIP but not SDP (As hadn't been confirmed). As he is single and lives in a 2 bed property, he only gets the rate for shared. But will call them tomorrow and inform them of SDP and see what they say.
  • acooper95
    acooper95 Posts: 33 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »

I've just spoken to a friend who works within the benefit office at our local council and she has pretty much said as I have declared ESA and PIP for him, he can only claim the maximum for shared. Said SDP won't alter this???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure