Which phone, I need a decent camera on it

tinas
tinas Posts: 36 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hi,

All the reviews say that for a decent camera, I need a galaxy 7 or iPhone 6s (well 7s but I`m really not prepared to go that far).

However, I'm really wondering if I need to spend that much. I need a camera to photograph artwork. As long as it'll take good, accurate close up pictures, in focus then I'll be happy.

I do need a camera for general use, but I can make do with whatever it can do.

I've looked into buying just a camera and decided that's not the answer. I'm no professional photographer and unless I'm going for a half decent bridge camera I might as well use a mobile phone one.

I've taken a look at the mid range 2016 Samsung's, but I'm getting hopelessly lost in reviews.

Any suggestions for good mobile camera phones, mid price range?

Thanks, Tina

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2016 at 9:05AM
    have a read here, as you probably know if you have good lighting conditions results are always much better

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-phone-camera-of-2016-3612824/

Bye the way the camera on the cheaper Nexus 5X is the exact same as the Nexus 6p

• tinas
    Thanks, to be honest, the nexus wasn't even on my radar.

I think I'm right, but to be sure- it's an "lg nexus 5x" and a "Huawei nexus 6p"? Is that right?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    it's an "lg nexus 5x" and a "Huawei nexus 6p"

They are both GOOGLE products. The models are made as you mention by the respective manufacturers for google. I have had both, excellent phones with no bloatware(unlike Samsung)and both now running on Android 7 just released.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Which magazine rates the Microsoft Lumia 950 as having the best mobile phone camera, well ahead of the iPhone 6 and slightly better than the Galaxy S7.

The downside is that the rest of the phone is pretty average and you have Windows 10 to contend with.

The choice, as they say, is yours.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sony Z3 there are compact and big models, good camera.
  • Ive just got the Sony Z5 compact and the camera is excellent. Its a fabulous phone all round, have a look at it if you want seriously good pics
  • love_lifer wrote: »
    Ive just got the Sony Z5 compact and the camera is excellent. Its a fabulous phone all round, have a look at it if you want seriously good pics
    Is there any bloatware like on the Samsung's?
  • tinas
    Thanks everyone. I've just spent some time in carphone warehouse and I've fallen for the p9. That's the phone for me.

I'm going to hold off getting one though as Google are launching the new nexus on Tuesday, I believe. With a launch date rumoured to be 2 or 3 weeks later the p9 price should drop before the end of October.

They might change the nexus brand name. Maybe to pixel?

I am now very relieved and much happier :)
  • I know what you have said about the iPhone 7, but I've had one of these recently and I'm running 10.1 on the plus version! The photos are truly amazing, when using them for day to day work they look so much better than my Canon 5D. You satrt to lose quality when you blow them up big, but its very rare for me to do large scale work! Take the plunge!
  • Is there any bloatware like on the Samsung's?

No I dont think so. all very simple and straightforward. Ive disabled stuff i dont want and theres tons of storage anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure