keeping tropical and cold water fish.

Comments

• covlass
    covlass Posts: 562 Forumite
    Cycling tank still all looking ok, water is no longer cloudy, plants are growing well, problem this morning I spotted a tiny snail, should I remove it or just leave it be? I will try and post picture later
    " I would not change you for the world, but I would change the world for you"
    Proud to be parent of a child with Autism:D

When I see your face there's not a thing that I would change 'cause your amazing just the way you are
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE :D and keep looking,and keep removing.As you will see from above posts,they are a true nightmare to get rid of.Most plants seem to carry them or eggs.You will never have just one.However at this early stage you may be able to eliminate with a lot of vigilance.
  • covlass
    Thankyou will do so now been looking all day spotted 2 so far

When I see your face there's not a thing that I would change 'cause your amazing just the way you are
  • as snail forriage on decaying plantation and food, lettuce (older the better) will attract an abundance of them to it, snail eggs tend to get sucked into your filter media and hach in it then they work their way out, assassin snails would be good for a short period but due to the size of your tank, purchasing two and then returning them after they've done their work would be a good idea to do, so make sure you buy them from a retailer who will accept them back for credit note. the lettuce theory will take some time and patience, applying one when you just about to turn the lights off and go to bed weighted down with something not fo it to float then in the morning before you turn the light on open cover and reach in for the lettuce being carefull not to spill any snail off it, they will hide underneath the lettuce so wont be visible at first glance, repeat the theory untill there are no snail on the lettuce leafs for a week or so.

i will have to get photo's up soon of my tank, i have got a photo bucket account now so will upload and put the pics here sometime soon. i have snail in my tank i just let them carry on and squish when i need to there are quit a few in there ATM so will be doing the lettuce theory myself when the one in the fridge is starting to rot.
  • hers my tank not a good pick as it doesnt reflect its actual size :(
    DSCF0064.jpg?1287433471
  • heres a diagonal shot.
    DSCF0065.jpg?t=1287433943
  • covlass
    Ok hope someone understands this

Day 1 set up tank added 6 plants
    75ml of Nutrafin Cycle added
    10ml of Nutrafin Aqua plus
    Small pinch of food
    Day 2:
    10ml of Nutrafin Aqua plus
    40ml of of Nutrafin Cycle added
    Day 3 Readings

Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10

Day 4
    Water change
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    pinch of food

Day 5
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10

Day 6
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Went to get ammonia could not get any LFS tested water & said to wait a few days and get retested, went home did small water change as suggested and added Bacerialife and 5 more plants plus one WW11 airplane !

Day 7 Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0.50
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 0.5
    small pinch of food

Day 8
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10

Day 9
    Ph 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10

I know using these so called products is not the best thing to do but I could not get any Ammonia until today ( I did ring all chemists near by and 2 Boots stores)

Anyway Ia m now the proud owner of 1 bottle of Ammonia from boots ; )
    Question is what is my next move????
    Many thanks for your help

• covlass
    PA190452.jpg

• covlass
    Heres my tank

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2010 at 10:30PM
    ok i would suggest from your reading that the filter is filtering and would have built up a little bacteria, youve done a small water change (de chloranted?) add a small amount of ammonia from the bottle to start with perhaps say 5ml or 2-3 drops and test water after introduction, ideally you want an amonia count to begin with at say 2.0, you then test again after 12hours and if any bacteria built up it would have reduced bear in mind though your nitrite may rise allong with nitrate,
    if your tests reveal that the ammonia is at 0.1 (will allways be 0.1 as ammonia will allways be present when fish is intorduced after cycling)nitrite and nitrate are normal your good to go! what temp do you have the heater. i crank mine up to 30-32oC if im cycling with established filter media this may work for you as no fish are in there but dont forget to turn back down day before introduction of fishies!! to a safe level.

if you nitrite and nitrate rise but ammonia drops just repeat the ammonia process, till they all read normal.

p.s nice little aquarium there and when your ready to go dont forget to build up your stock of fish nice and slow, spacing your introduction of fish. i.e start with two then two three weeks later add 2 more and so on till your stocked, this will prevent spike's of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate and have a happy aquarium.

even though those bacteria bottles are bigged up more than they really are worth there are some element of good bacteria in them, 9 days of added some wont hurt and may have contributed to the filter media! from here on in things cant go drastically wrong, so see what happens when you introduce the ammonia, after 12 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure