£49.99 Soup Maker Robert Dyas

2»

Comments

• jj_jj
    jj_jj Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2011 at 8:15AM
    Have you looked at a Thermomix TM-31?

Somewhat more expensive, but does so much more than a soup maker - the soups are absolutely fantastic though (and usually take about 12-20 minutes) to make.

Bread (dough), sauces, ice cream, deserts, flans, curries, flour, butter(!), cream can all be made. And it replaces a number of other Kitchen gadgets (even has built in scales).

I'm not allowed to post links, but Google UK Thermomix. You can get a free demonstration at home, with nothing in the way of pressure - though the gadget rather does sell itself.

I do own a Thermomix, but have no other association with them.

I don't think you'll see the price on the website - something that annoys me but don't expect much change out of £900.

Cheers

John
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jj_jj wrote: »
    Have you looked at a Thermomix TM-31?

Somewhat more expensive, but does so much more than a soup maker - the soups are absolutely fantastic though (and usually take about 12-20 minutes) to make.

Bread (dough), sauces, ice cream, deserts, flans, curries, flour, butter(!), cream can all be made. And it replaces a number of other Kitchen gadgets (even has built in scales).

I'm not allowed to post links, but Google UK Thermomix. You can get a free demonstration at home, with nothing in the way of pressure - though the gadget rather does sell itself.

I do own a Thermomix, but have no other association with them.

I don't think you'll see the price on the website - something that annoys me but don't expect much change out of £900.

Cheers

John

:eek::eek::eek:
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • nnik
    nnik Posts: 285 Forumite
    If you can wait until Monday they have 15% of everything in store. The till will print a voucher with any purchase over the next few days but if you don't have one just say you forgot it on the day.
    :xmastree::xmassign: :xmastree:
  • Maysie
    Maysie Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    I think the thing that attracts me is its all in one. I quite happily use a big pan and hand blender or liquidiser to make soup. I can already make really nice soup. I like the idea of just making it and leaving it to do then just cleaning out the removable inner and cleaning the bending attachment. No faffing about chasing random veggies with the handblender in the pan and getting hot liquid spat at me. Or having to put the food processor together use wash and put away.

£900 quid your having a laugh !

15% sounds good will go and buy some bin bags or something today lol
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    I get it Maysie, I was looking at soup makers the other day too. I like the idea of bunging the veggies in and walking away. I use the pan hand blender method at the moment and I find it messy and not all that good. I get random chunks of veg and the texture of the soup is never really smooth no matter how much I stand there being splattered with boiling soup while blending. The other way I do it which gives nicer results is to go from pan to liquidiser, but this is 2 lots of things to clean up plus the puddle of soup I make on the worktop while pouring.

Let me know how you get on with this and I might get one too.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • I make a lot of soup, especially in winter. I have always used the saucepan and food-processer method, until my wife saw the ad in Robert Dyas and thought it would save a lot of bother, and bought the 'American Original Soup Maker' for Christmas.
    It does NOT have a removable stainless steel inner, and can only be cleaned by filling carefully with water and detergent and using the blender function to swill the mixture around. It comes with a brush to scrub off any stains. No part of the machine can be put in a sink or dishwasher and cannot be dismantled.
    The main drawback I found with it is that it will only make a specified amount of soup, between 1.3 and 1.6 litres, which is OK for four servings, or two batches for eight. With a saucepan I could make a small amount or a large amount, or anything in between!
    In my case, it made the first four batches of soup OK, but anything needing more than about 12 mins of cooking needs to be precooked.
    Mine failed on the fifth batch and refused to heat, presumably either a fault in the heater element or wiring internally in the machine. it is going back to the shop, as £50 is very expensive for a single speed blender with no pulse function. Back to the saucepan and food processer for me!
  • dollydee
    dollydee Posts: 212 Forumite
    I was watching the soup maker 'selling episodes' on Ideal World just before Christmas and nearly got sucked into the hype but thankfully decided against one. There was a choice of chunky or smooth soup making recipes but I just know that it would have been stuck in a cupboard, taking up precious storage space and hardly used once the novelty had worn off.To be honest, the soup didn't look that appetising, either.

I decided to buy a kenwood triblade with various attachments instead, including the soup attachment blender but am waiting for it to be delivered. That seems much more functional to me.
  • WilliamWatt
    WilliamWatt Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have this. Was bought as a Christmas present. Initially I loved it and was making at least 1 batch a week. It is much easier than the pan and blender method but the same happened to mine as Alan5000! The heating element has packed up so its now a glorified blender! Hoping to take it back but no receipt/box etc :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure