FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying your glasses on line. July 2010

Comments

• MsCrow
    MsCrow Posts: 534 Forumite
    Mine came today, great freebie and great ethos
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,129
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Great find! High Street opticians are often a rip off.

Thanks Ancelyn, I hope that lots of people have been able to benefit and we can stop the High Street optician's monopoly.:)

MAGENTA. (OP):A
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • This offer is still running by the way for those who need their PD measurement for buying glasses online! :D

http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_distance-free_pd_ruler.php?free_pd_ruler.html
  • summertreats
    summertreats Posts: 1,568
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thanks a lot :)
    september wins:khaled hosseini kindle case
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,520
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The ruler will be handy but the websites glasses although cheaper than the high street are more than at goggles4u.co.uk
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Magenta wrote: »
    Apparently to stop people buying glasses online the High Street Opticians where you get you eyes tested are going to stop putting the PD measurement on prescriptions!!!!!:eek::(

Going to stop? I didn't know they ever started!
    =
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for this, have applied for my PD ruler. The dispensing optician I dealt with recently was particularly unhelpful. I guess I can see where they're coming from but this guy was trying to bully me into buying frames I didn't like.

Is it true that you can't buy glasses online for under 16s? I find it very very difficult to find frames that my teenage daughter will wear. All the frames in the high street are very bland. You wouldn't expect a teenager to buy their clothes from the same shop as their grandma - why should they be expected to wear the same glasses?
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Many Opticians normally only take the PD measurement if you are ordering glasses from them as it a measurement to make sure you are looking directly through the optical centre of the lens. So if you haven't ordered glasses from them before they are not obliged to take this measurement or give it to you.

PD's are of main concern the higher your prescription is, as you get distortion as you move away from looking through the centre of the lens. It's most important with varifocal lenses as the lens is made and cut to the frame to match this measurement, as you get distortion away from the centre of all varifocal lenses.

Normally a pd for a reading glasses is a few mm's less then distance glasses as you are look down through the lens and not straight ahead.

Hope this helps explain this somewhat!
  • beth25
    beth25 Posts: 94
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Opticians do not have to give you the pd measurement.It does not form part of the prescription
    currently working to save £2014 in 2014
    total so far £331
    selling on facebook
    overtime in work
    ebay sales and online surveys.
    Every little helps!!
  • defairmans
    defairmans Posts: 962
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have always bought my glasses from the optician i had my eye test from in the past. Went to Specsavers a few weeks ago and left with the prescription because I was unhappy with shop. When I went to Tesco, I was suprised when they had to call the optometrist over to measure my eyes with a ruler. I have never had this done before and was wondering what it was about! Now I know!

By going to Tesco and using vouchers and clubcard points, I got nearly £300 worth of glasses for £64!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure