PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer - How to Value a Property?

Comments

• hutman
    hutman Posts: 104 Forumite
    Sellers might be desperate to cash in their windfall for the 1 bed shoe box on sale, but as OP says they're being inflexible.

Thats because these couple of months represent the last of riding the wave - desperate they're hoping the ignorant to bite. The house of cards is about to come tumbling down if not for Carney's basement rates. Cant wait.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hutman wrote: »
    Thats because these couple of months represent the last of riding the wave - desperate they're hoping the ignorant to bite. The house of cards is about to come tumbling down if not for Carney's basement rates. Cant wait.

You wanna get yourself over to housepricecrash.co.uk then - they've been waiting for over 10 years...
  • hutman
    Membership to the EU wasnt under threat 10 years ago.
  • ReadingTim

You're right. This time it's different. It's just around the corner. In fact, any time now....

You mark my words. Any day now....

Soon...be patient....

and so on.
  • hutman
    What Im posting is not hyperbole - its backed up my market fundamentals which will reveal themselves to you via a simple google search. Even before the referendum conundrum London's housing bubble was completely out of tune with people's incomes. After brexit - we will simply have the necessary cooling effect (does a change in wording help you?). Population growth is overwhelmingly one the main contributors to the bubble - and whether you like it or not immigration will be right at the front of the queue when exit negotiations start.

Seems like anytime the housing status quo is challenged on these forums - the outcome is mud slinging. I havent been around for 10 years, so cant entertain the countless anecdotes you may have amassed. Im a prospective FTB looking to assess my risks as i embark on the most important economic decision of my life. So i will assign as much cynicism and doubt as i want, provided i can back up my argument..
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    You wanna get yourself over to housepricecrash.co.uk then - they've been waiting for over 10 years...

Not for a buyer though, which would be slightly worse IMO, especially if you are attached to a massive debt.
  • Crashy_Time

Neither was the masses love affair with BTL.
  • ReadingTim
    What Im posting is not hyperbole - its backed up my market fundamentals which will reveal themselves to you via a simple google search. Even before the referendum conundrum London's housing bubble was completely out of tune with people's incomes. After brexit - we will simply have the necessary cooling effect (does a change in wording help you?). Population growth is overwhelmingly one the main contributors to the bubble - and whether you like it or not immigration will be right at the front of the queue when exit negotiations start.

Seems like anytime the housing status quo is challenged on these forums - the outcome is mud slinging. I havent been around for 10 years, so cant entertain the countless anecdotes you may have amassed. Im a prospective FTB looking to assess my risks as i embark on the most important economic decision of my life. So i will assign as much cynicism and doubt as i want, provided i can back up my argument..

Mate, it's your money and you don't have to argue with or justify it to anyone as to how you do, or don't spend it. And if you want to add your opinion to the well-rehearsed debate then expect to get counter-opinions expressed equally as strongly. But present your opinion as fact and dismiss others as anecdote then you're going to get some mud slung your way.

The fact of the matter is that no-one can predict the future, so it's all crystal-ball gazing, but short of psychic ability, the only thing we have to go on is past performance, which, over the last 20 years, doesn't really back up your opinion much.
  • Crashy_Time
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Mate, it's your money and you don't have to argue with or justify it to anyone as to how you do, or don't spend it. And if you want to add your opinion to the well-rehearsed debate then expect to get counter-opinions expressed equally as strongly. But present your opinion as fact and dismiss others as anecdote then you're going to get some mud slung your way.

The fact of the matter is that no-one can predict the future, so it's all crystal-ball gazing, but short of psychic ability, the only thing we have to go on is past performance, which, over the last 20 years, doesn't really back up your opinion much.

Still hard to deny that the UK property market would have collapsed without zero rates, or that it is showing signs of faltering now?
  • Crashy_Time

Getting harder to do now though with any credibility as the MSM and most of the country have woken up to the fact that the property bubble needs to pop?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure