Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Evening :hello:

I was never much of a jigsaw fan - too traumatised by my mum and her friend doing them sat either side of the dining table, in front of the living room window onto the street - in their BRAS :eek: :eek: :rotfl: Really, it must have been a one off, because the summer was so hot and they'd put their t shirts in the freezer to cool down. I never understood why they couldn't just have put a different t shirt on in the meantime! :rotfl:

I assure you I'm fully clothed when I do my jigsaws!:rotfl:

However, I will make allowance for your mum if it was the summer of 1976. It was the summer of my 'O' levels and I did my revision in my bra. Not at school, but at home, I should add. It was incredibly hot, it was the sensible thing to do, to strip off, everybody was at it!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    How interesting about jigsaws! There's obviously a whole sub-culture I've been missing out on ... but Cheery, I'm not surprised you were traumatised by seeing your mum and her friend in their bras :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: a child is bound to go Ewwwwww! at that :rotfl:

The only detail thing I remember really enjoying like that was a spirograph, I was probably a bit older, but I really loved it. I've been googling spirograph images recently, actually :D

I carried on decluttering over the weekend, so that if I'm in the house, at least I'm doing different things over the weekend - did a lot with DVDs and paper cases, and I've now got this bee in my bonnet about the old client files, organising and storing so that they take less space and I can get rid of the document case the current ones are in, and clear a huge chunk of bookshelf :j and I'm almost there! It will be sorted this weekend.

Today is some paid work and a meeting with my business partner, I think I need to start drafting my "I'm retiring" letter with him :eek: He'll object :D but that's tough :D

Right, cuppa tea, a waltz round the boards, and a quick readying of the counselling room ....

Oooh, Spirograph, I used to love that. I wish I still had my set, as it was very relaxing to do.

On the retirement front, it's a load of your mind when you make it official with your colleagues, so a letter at the ready is a good thing!:D
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • I remember the long hot summer of '76 vividly, Cheery Daff:j

I had to prime, undercoat and give 2 coats of gloss:eek: to a large pair of new driveway gates. It took a couple of long days and I did it in a bikini:rotfl: and ended up being burnt to a crisp. It was so painful, my worst ever case of sunburn. I don't think the sun creams had such high factors as they do now. The one I used didn't seem to work anyway:eek:. I avoid the sun whenever I can nowadays as I burn very easily. I had auburn hair before it went grey:( and freckles.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :eek: sounds dreadful cbc! :eek:

I really do hate to say this, but while I have no idea what year my mum's jigsaw bra escapades took place it certainly wasn't 1976 as I wasn't born then :o:o sorry :o :rotfl: Must have been some time in mid- late 80s for me to remember it! :o
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    On the retirement front, it's a load of your mind when you make it official with your colleagues, so a letter at the ready is a good thing!:D
    Oops, it's not colleagues, it's clients I'd be writing to - and having chatted it over with my one, individual colleague :D it'll have to be by email - with all the electronic to-and-froing these days, I don't *have* addresses for really long term clients :eek:
    :eek: sounds dreadful cbc! :eek:
    It does! Even doing that much painting sounds dreadful, but to get sunburned doing it ... ow ow ow ow :(
    I really do hate to say this, but while I have no idea what year my mum's jigsaw bra escapades took place it certainly wasn't 1976 as I wasn't born then :o:o sorry :o :rotfl: Must have been some time in mid- late 80s for me to remember it! :o
    I knew you'd have to say that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: and just to make it worse, 1976 was the year I finished polytechnic - I had two jobs that summer, at the local chocolate factory during the day, and at the local bingo hall at night, behind the bar. I was saving to go Interrailing around Europe :j:j:j which I did. That's the year I fell in love with Greece **happy sigh**
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Sorry, Cheery Daff, I must have got my wires crossed:o. I was replying to Goldiegirl who mentioned 1976 and thought it was you as you were the one who mentioned the bras in the first place:rotfl:. The sun must have fried my brain as well as my body:o.

All I know is it was unbelievably hot for days on end and was definitely during the '70s. Can't be totally sure if it was 1976 or not but if Goldiegirl definitely remembers that year being a scorcher that's good enough for me:T.
  • Karmacat
    I remember it being a scorcher that year too, as I say :) and CBC, there's nothing on here that can tell us how old any of the other lot are, remember, and no exams are set - nothing to apologise for :) it's all part of the fun :p

I've been sorting "like" buttons ... pah, as Cheery herself would say ... and trying to figure out how to put blog posts so that they appear under another heading of the main menu. PM to my Blog Supremo Extraordinaire is called for, I think, after a cuppa tea. And there's something on iplayer about some musician who bought a smallholding in Camarthenshire :j
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Which chocolate factory KC ?

My Mum used to tell people straight faced she was a chocolate stirrer when they asked what she did at the Payne's Poppets factory (she actually worked in accounts)

I do miss Payne's coffee creams :)

<the things I delurk to say LOL>
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Karmacat
    edited 18 August 2015 at 10:36AM
    :wave: Hello Duchy!

I worked at the Cadbury-Schweppes factory in Leasowe or Moreton (I forget which :o) on the Wirral, I was packing Christmas puddings :rotfl: I didn't eat anything made by Cadbury for a loooooong time after that _pale_ :rotfl:

How are you?

I don't have any paid work today, so I'm all about the blogging and the garden :j

ETA - just done a big Asda order, to be delivered late tomorrow afternoon, and it's still only £1 delivery, which is great - plus I've been checking with Sainsbo as to what's cheaper and what's not. It's a bit mad - pumpkin seeds 10p per 100g cheaper in Asda, feta 40p per 200g cheaper in Asda, but honey 20p per 340g cheaper in Sainsbo, split peas 9p per 500g cheaper in Sainsbo. Don't save much by continuing to shop in Sainsbo for some things, but it's walkable, at least. Very odd findings ...

Right. Cuppa tea. Snack. Blogging.
  • Good afternoon, KC:hello:, I hope you manage to get into the garden today. Rained for most of the night here and is still raining heavily now so anything outdoorsy for me is a definite non-starter:(. This is supposed to be the driest side of the country but we seem to have had an awful lot of rainy days this summer:mad:

I get fed up with the price comparisons between supermarkets and just shop at Morrisons now. Sadly, they don't deliver here yet but it's supposedly being rolled out nationwide soon:j. They do a Pricematch system and if you could have bought the same thing cheaper at any of the supermarkets (including Aldi and Lidl I think) you are credited with the money and as soon as it reaches £5 they give you a voucher for that at the till. I just have to take their word for the price check figures. Works for me anyway and saves a lot of petrol and delivery charges, although the £1 you're paying is very reasonable indeed:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure