Son spent £235 on an XBOX App

My own fault for not rendering to disassociate the credit card in the settings.

I was sat at the dining table and my phone goes 'ping, ping, ping'. 3 emails stating I had bought £235.00 worth of Roblox outfits!

Ran into the lounge to see the youngest child just about to buy another £115.00 worth of 'outfits'!

Spoke to Microsoft who 'may' refund.

My fault... disassociated the credit card.

My vent, at me... grrrrrrr :wall:
'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.

Comments

• Hopefully with your quick reaction they will refund...thanks for not blaming everyone else!
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Ouch, hopefully you get a satisfactory outcome. It always amazes me that it takes me ages to make payments online but my grandchildren manage it in a blink of the eye.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ouch.

Note for future, you can buy Roblox gift cards in Currys, easy to load onto the game and no chance of overspending. £10 at a time which as you have discovered does not last long!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Might even be a PIN you can enable so if anything requires payment eg in game content you cant go any further unless you know the PIN code.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good news. Just had a call from Microsoft. Apparently as I was honest and reasonable with them (i.e. not blaming anyone else) I got a full refund.

Lesson learnt!

Thanks for the positive replies.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    So glad you got a refund.

My rant, £235 in game purchase, as a long term gamer from the 70's until now, I really do despair, at what modern day gaming is largely about.

It's all very well, saying that parental controls are available etc, but to actually allow a game that will appeal to children and no doubt played by many children, to purchase £235 worth of adds on at the click of a button, itself is just plain disgusting. At the very least, the 3 digit CVV number from the credit card, should need to be entered for purchases.

In general, sadly, it seems, modern day gamers are all too happy to allow themselves to be ripped off, with half finished and playable games, so companies can make a fast buck or thousand out them, by pretending these things are add on, rather than giving a full game to start with.

Don't even get me started on Freemium games :mad:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Out of interest, how old is youngest?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Great news.

In addition to fozmcfc's comments why can't the screen that allows pre-entry of credit card details also allow the entry of a maximum daily or monthly value that is authorised from the credit card.

It would give a bit more leeway and means I am not interrupted every 5 minutes by my grandchildren asking me if it is OK if they spend £10 to buy a kevlar coated battle ostrich called Gary.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    So glad you got a refund.

My rant, £235 in game purchase, as a long term gamer from the 70's until now, I really do despair, at what modern day gaming is largely about.

It's all very well, saying that parental controls are available etc, but to actually allow a game that will appeal to children and no doubt played by many children, to purchase £235 worth of adds on at the click of a button, itself is just plain disgusting. At the very least, the 3 digit CVV number from the credit card, should need to be entered for purchases.

In general, sadly, it seems, modern day gamers are all too happy to allow themselves to be ripped off, with half finished and playable games, so companies can make a fast buck or thousand out them, by pretending these things are add on, rather than giving a full game to start with.

Don't even get me started on Freemium games :mad:

Yep.

I remember the days (ugh, already sound old) where you'd buy a game... maybe it'd cost £25 to £30 but that was that. Everything included - maybe it'd need a patch or two to fix minor bugs, but back in those days, a lot of developers would release shareware versions of games with so much of the content available for free prior to release (Doom and Quake, for example, let players have the first episode of each game) and then the devs would hear through the grapevine about issues so they could fix them prior to full release.

And then, maybe, a few months later there'd be an expansion pack or two, for £15 or so, with a sizeable amount of extra content.

Happy days.

Now it's three versions of the base game, one for £50, one for £70 and one for £85... EA completely took the mick recently with Mass Effect: Andromeda releasing some sort of £250 super-deluxe version with a remote control Nomad vehicle BUT NOT a copy of the actual game! :rotfl:

Then there's the micro transactions, because you have to get your advantages in multiplayer (pay-to-win, yay!), so a tenner here, tenner there... suddenly, you've blown three times the cost of the base game in a week, knowing that they'll shut those multiplayer servers down in a couple of years anyway.

And of course, DLC! At this point, it costs the same as an expansion pack of old, but contains one-tenth of the content.

I get games are expensive, and additional revenue streams are often required to pay a dev team for ongoing support for a title, but some devs really do go overboard especially on the games designed for younger people and kids... you get cosmetic items like coats for the cost of a real coat.

Ugh... rant over.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • kuohu
    kuohu Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    out of interest, how old is youngest?

29?

DFW Nerd 035
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing